Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Discuss Epic plz

I was starting to disagree with everything you were saying until this, but there are still server borders preventing pvp (karmaing and cr nerfs etc.) and i think it makes the problem worse having people on home servers even easier to kill.

It was a 'thought' and you make a very good point as to why such simply wouldn't work :P Perfect example of why brain fart ideas like this thread should be thought out in depth rather than acted upon just because it sounded good when you said it haha.

Edited by Rhiannone

You are missing the point. It's not about people who pvp one way vs another. It is about the vast majority of the population not wanting to pvp at all. That is not "pvp the way I want you to." It's playing on a pvp server when you really just want to pve. He needs IMO to do something, either removal of servers, or incentives to pvp, or something. I provided a suggestion, instead of complaining about it, provide something better that you think will fix the situation so that he has ideas to go off of.

Why do you feel that you have the right to dictate how other people play in a sandbox game.

Sure, some people don't want to PvE, but they enjoy the skillgain.

Some people don't want to PvP, but want to have the ability to actually deal with other people who are griefing them, rather than "oh it wasn't done with intent/exactly against the rules, cant do anything"

Some people want to play somewhere where there is actual risk, rather than drop deed, guard, nothing can ever endanger you.

Some people like valrei and having goals to push towards, but don't want to fight people.

People who don't want to PvP are not a problem, their existence does not negatively affect you in any way.

Just because someone is on a PvP server does not mean they are required to PvP.

(and just because someone is on a home server does not mean they don't want to pve. There are tons of people who live on home servers and PvP)

I have no idea why so many people seem to want to delete homeservers.

Deleting them won't magically make the people that live there want to go to elevation.

Home servers are also completely necessary to have ANY new players join epic.

I certainly wouldn't have started playing if I had buy premium and start out on a map where I can't go to most of it without being killed by players.

Edited by Kagrenac
  • Like 10

I think you need to re-evaluate all of epic, looking at the base of the game is sandbox, chaos is thriving with there one map no kingdoms model(pmks)

• Xanadu sized PMK server

-break up land masses to make way for bridges and split up land grab(NOT to many mountains :P )

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver

- People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?

-Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect imo.

• Bring back calf shots

-These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons

- Forcing the players to commit, by dropping  down in to it.

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather

-There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed

- maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down. 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic..

These are just a few idea.

Potentially combining Epic and Chaos.

Edit

Cleaned up and bullet pointed.

My suggestion is no server wipe. Convert epic into "Freedom Light". All current servers become freedom servers and we get a Chaos/Xanadu sized PMK only server to the north.

I am 1 of the people who want epic to be merged with chaos in some way. Most of my important skills are capped and a skill nerf converting to chaos will give me reason to grind again.

But i have realized epic is needed for the casual player. I would have never been able to stand wurm if it wasn't for the increased skill gain.

Why doesn't epic have freedom servers? 

Edited by Morrowen

My suggestion is no server wipe. Convert epic into "Freedom Light". All current servers become freedom servers and we get a Chaos/Xanadu sized PMK only server to the north.

I am 1 of the people who want epic to be merged with chaos in some way. Most of my important skills are capped and a skill nerf converting to chaos will give me reason to grind again.

But i have realized epic is needed for the casual player. I would have never been able to stand wurm if it wasn't for the increased skill gain.

Why doesn't epic have freedom servers? 

it does home servers.

No map reset or skill reset. That would kill the whole cluster and it wouldn't get repopulated with Challenge and Chaos around.

Make a Valrei in-game map with plenty of tooltips. This would help new people understand how it works and promote the game of gods as the main feature it is.

Improve Valrei rewards and missions somehow. Make terraform events reversible by hard work. Add a new Valrei reward that flattens huge areas to easily reverse volcano and craters.

Make terraforming events more meaningful. Spawn new islands. Make sea shores expand or flood away.

Give more reasons to roam alone or in small groups. Treasure chests could work if the rewards are small enough. When someone tries to lockpick them, give out their name and spawn a light pillar on them.

That's all I could think of right now.

• Like 2

Hell no, do not turn Epic into that fail that is challenge.

Cease with challenge and give Elevation a new map, no need to play with skill gain either.

Fix Valrei and scenario's!

Cheers

• Like 6

Make a connected PvE server that uses the Epic skill system. Have it work like Chaos and Freeom servers do.

Note...to those who will try to say that Epic already has safe options, to the average PvE anything short of game mechanic guarantees that stop killing, stealing, or destroying are unacceptable.

• Like 1

Make a connected PvE server that uses the Epic skill system. Have it work like Chaos and Freeom servers do.

Note...to those who will try to say that Epic already has safe options, to the average PvE anything short of game mechanic guarantees that stop killing, stealing, or destroying are unacceptable.

• Like 1

How about making a new epic map and moving everyone over there for a bit? If it doesn't work out well move everyone back to elevation.

• Like 1

How about making a new epic map and moving everyone over there for a bit? If it doesn't work out well move everyone back to elevation.

• Like 1

Admittedly I don't play on Epic but in my opinion a clear 'fix' would be to merge all of the Epic servers together (ie make one landmass which is Elevation in the middle and the home servers on either side)

You can still apply the CR nerf on the 'islands' that were previously the home servers; you can keep everyone's skills and everyone's deeds etc. Essentially nothing changes except you go from 4 servers with populations (currently) of 28 + 19 + 31 + 32 to one with 110 players and one would assume such a change would result in more PvP as home server players get more involved.

Someone might say this will lag but Chaos often hits 110 players with no noticeable lag and Xanadu has several hundred without issues; if there are problems with the Epic code that is something that needs addressing.

Also as an extra as there would now be heaps of water in the blank spaces between where all of the servers are stitched together you could have valeri events that spawn land in the areas between them to spice things up; maybe some sort of supply depot that spawns for a small period of time that everyone has to try and find.

Map resets are a temporary solution; a issue that plagues both Chaos and Epic is as the maps are considerably old (like 8 years in Chaos case) the map gets butchered by people and noone puts in effort to revert it to it's natural state; there really needs to be some sort of erosion code put in so that if a deed is abandoned after a LONG period of time it decays and all you are left with is forest again. That way the map is constantly resetting itself and only keeping the things that people actually live in (and roads people use etc)

Sidenote: Fix shield bashing and remove armor casting and archery nerf pls; no PvP players want it and shield-bashing is still pretty much useless.

Edited by Gavin

I think you need to re-evaluate all of epic, looking at the base of the game is sandbox, chaos is thriving with there one map no kingdoms model(pmks)

• Xanadu sized PMK server
       -break up land masses to make way for bridges and split up land grab(NOT to many mountains :P )

•   1 BL + 1 WL homeserver
        - People encourage more people to play, then they stay as they have people to play with. Consolidates numbers + time to rebuild/recruit for a pmk.

• Improving the imp rate(at higher skills) Bigger bonuses for titles?
        -Faster gear creation, faster turn round to pvp again. Twice the current rate would be perfect imo.

• Bring back calf shots
       -These where very effective back on wild for taking any player down, including the stronger accounts..

• Smaller hota area similar to cauldrons
      - Forcing the players to commit, by dropping  down in to it.

• Adjust epic events, adding in once a month mission cluster wide such as kill X, Drain Village Z. 

• Return drake and scale to be Imped with leather
      -There are very few sets this would encourage the creation and use bringing a greater variance beyond plate, glimmer or addy plate.

• Boat ql to effect ship speed
      - maybe a 25% increase in speed for 100ql boat curving down. 5%, 7.5% 10% increase for rare, supreme, fantastic..

These are just a few idea.

Potentially combining Epic and Chaos.

Edit

Cleaned up and bullet pointed.

Basically a large response youre getting is to for sure remove homeservers, and maybe a new larger pvp sized map to replace (only maybe, but removing homeservers for sure) 

Since you ask here's what I would do:

Re. Challenge:

Reduce Challenge round timer to 3 weeks.

Tie Challenge to freedom: have freedom players "sign up" for Challenge using a portal for a fee of 5s per character.

Once round starts they are teleported there, and to be eligible for rewards they must stay there to the end. Returning to freedom before then forfeits the round and any rewards.

Introduce monetary rewards for top players/groups, characters come back to freedom after 3 weeks with their titles/items/silver. One week grace period, then next round starts.

Re. Epic/Chaos:

Epic I feel doesnt have much of a place anymore with challenge around and valrei stuff on freedom. I do not think there is a way to revive Epic without doing something insanely drastic. Something like a whole new playing style, but in the end I think that would only shift around the pvp population again.

If you are willing to do something that dramatic, then you may as well fix what most people here seem to agree is the problem: forcibly reintegrate the pvp population. That means something has to go. No reason to delete it though, pull a "golden valley" job. Deny new charater creation there, add a one way transfer path for characters to freedom cluster. Let it die with a little dignity, and if some people wish to stay on golden valley 2.0 they may.

The only somewhat valid argument for playing on epic is the supposed cheating culture and abused characters roaming chaos. There are instances of grandfathered character skills/items on epic now too with various patch changes over the years, but these are willfully ignored. I suggest a new Chaos size map or Chaos itself be the only long-haul live-in pvp server. If you must stick with Chaos then apply a brutal hatchet job to remove all the dodgy items/skills gained. Level the playing field by any means necessary. Short term pain for long term gain.

Looking back at the op...

Some version of the central depot spawns and possibly the odd treasure chest on Elevation could be interesting as well.

I feel the need to say at the minimum, the depots of challenge should not exist on Epic.  Dropping sorcery items would make Valrei utterly pointless and saturate the cluster with items.  The same with drake/scale, it's really rare to see people use it and at best they have jackets or pants or a combination of the two.  We don't need to end up spammed with full drake/scale sets.   As for moon metal, the same goes there, why do hota if you can get a ton of lumps from depots? 

I don't know what treasure chests give, but they could be interesting depending how it's done

• Like 5

Oh and bring back mine hopping!!

• Like 1

Why do you feel that you have the right to dictate how other people play in a sandbox game.

He needs IMO to do something, either removal of servers, or incentives to pvp, or something. I provided a suggestion, instead of complaining about it, provide something better that you think will fix the situation so that he has ideas to go off of.

That's not telling people how to play a game, again, it's an opinion and an idea. I didn't think it was that hard to understand the concept of either.

Edited by amberain80

I don't know what treasure chests give, but they could be interesting depending how it's done

On challenge it was very nicely done in my opinion.

Randomly spawning anywhere on the map, Usually found just outside people's local ranges/In forests.

Contents were 3x of the following:

Corn, Rye, Rice, Wheat, Potato, Cotton, Wemp, Lock-picks(60 to 90 ql, Random each time) and a few others im sure im missing(Mostly farm stuff)

Then theirs the unique item, Some supposedly have gotten a 5s coin out of them, And ordecc got a tome out of one, But to my knowledge its VERY rare, Mostly what is usually found in them was a farwalker stone or twig or a strange bone.

As-long as the unique items are tweaked to be more fitting for epic, i don't see why they couldn't be introduced into epic, their silly tough to open as-well, So only experienced lock-pickers can access them, their contents aren't all that great either. 

DO NOT MESS WITH SKILL GAIN.

Remove home'servers' If you cant remove the actual land remove the server itsself. No more /who abuse no more CR nerf make the islands on the same server as elevation.

Map reset wouldn't be bad.

• Like 2

He needs IMO to do something, either removal of servers, or incentives to pvp, or something. I provided a suggestion, instead of complaining about it, provide something better that you think will fix the situation so that he has ideas to go off of.

That's not telling people how to play a game, again, it's an opinion and an idea. I didn't think it was that hard to understand the concept of either.

• Like 3

Simple to many servers for Wurm population.

Have a centrelised pvp island/server with pve ones around it .

You wish to pvp then there you go sail over or make it your home.

Players who have been on any of the pvp servers for so long get first bids on settleling it first.

And fix your island connection to make this alot more fun for ship warfare .