Sign in to follow this  
PokeMoney

Wurm offline

Ditto. I'd love an offline version that I could play when I was away from home and didn't have an internet connection.

Games like Shroud of the Avatar have an 'offline' version as well as multiplayer online.

Not everyone likes playing with other people all the time.

I'd also pay for it, like I would any other new game.

As for the people who think it would be boring, I agree. It would be boring... for them. Not everyone has the same playstyle. Is a single player game 'boring' because it's single player? Of course not.

The only thing that makes Wurm multiplayer is that there are other players in it. :P People need to group up for... oh... about zero reason in the game. Other than perhaps Kyclops or Dragons and the like.

There are no actual events that require grouping for normal activities. (Priests and such weirdness not included.)

We have no healers, tanks, crowd control specs, etc. I have no NEED to have anyone near me at any time in order to accomplish most things.

This makes Wurm uniquely suited for being made into an alternative offline version.

And I think you'd find most people would still play online as well.

I play SOTA offline. I also play it online. But there are times when I want to play, but just don't want to deal with drama and the lolbot crowd, and so, I play it offline. My enjoyment is not lessened just because there's no one in general chat.

Er have you actually played wurm?     

Almost every aspect of this game is better with players, and honestly as much as you may want something, you have to realize we can't always get what we want.     This game is designed to be a group effort.     I honestly can't give a hoot about your personal playstyle, as it has no bearing on trying to convince a dev to give you some sort of offline version.   

I've been a hermit, and there was no point to playing.  Every time I've played minecraft single player, I eventually went stircrazy, even when pissing about with  all the tekkit mods where there is a zillon things to do.    I honestly don't see the point of playing a sandbox game in a massive empty world, using a set of gameplay mechanics designed around multiplayer.     

I've seen Rolf and other Devs comment on questions about single player, and I'll try to keep a straight face while players try to convince them over the merits of the idea.    This request comes up about every 2 months, and I've never in my entire time playing wurm seen anyone give a hoot about it, and for good reason.  This is an MMO.    

We need more players online, not having whole alliances go into offline mode.

Argument: Wurm is a social MMO, there is no point in it being offline

Counter: It still has the chance of being social, a developer could add in an IRC type channel for people to chat in, and even add cross client mailing when connected to the Internet.

Argument: There will be lost money with this

Counter: Not necessarily, the devs could sell this as a monthy subscription (Or to purchase play time even), even having a dedicated login server to log the time and stuff, having the client talk to the server online, and having a ticker count time while offline.

Argument: There will be exploits, bugs, and cheaters

Counter: That is a given in any game, and is unavoidable. It will rely on an honest community to report the bugs.

So that is my suggestion, I am probably leaving a good portion of stuff out, but feel free to leave your feedback.

Argument 1) 50% look at WURM as a social game. 50% want to be left alone.

Argument 2) There does not have to be lost money. There was a huge amount of lost money with trader draining. 

Argument 3) There will be exploits. This is the reason for

Argument 1) 50% look at WURM as a social game. 50% want to be left alone.

Argument 2) There does not have to be lost money. There was a huge amount of lost money with trader draining. 

Argument 3) There will be exploits. This is the reason for

Where you getting this sort of magic telepathy where you know what every player wants?   There is more than 50% in villages alone, I've seen this while going through freedom, and then you have the pvp crowd that is spread through all the servers and epic.   Try convincing them that you don't need teamwork.    I'd like to see that.    

Losing money really isn't the issue here, and for that matter the game makes more money with more players.    This comes both from subscription purchases and from a strong economy.   If you want to examine the model closely, you have to realize every player needs to purchase a sub at least once if they want to use this game to the full potential.    This is no different from the way minecraft makes money where every player purchases the game at least once.     

The problem isn't the price model, but the fact we are a niche game, and then there is the little nagging lack of product advertisement, or any publicity for that matter.    Players who actually find this game stumble into it, much like I did when I stumbled into minecraft and some of the other open world sandbox games I've played back before they became so publicized.

Yes believe it or not minecraft, was a nichie game at one time, and very small.    Then when it took off in popular culture, the game got more players.    

Oh, this is rich. Exactly how do you plan on playing offline yet compete in PvP at the same time? Will you invite the other PvP players on your server over to your house so you can PvP offline? Then you try to compare WURM to Minecraft. Apples and oranges. They are not even in the same category. Please, stop while you are merely a little behind.

This has been proposed time and time again and it still makes no sense. 

I'd play a spinoff game set in the Wurm universe, if such a thing was possible.

Maybe:

1) A fighting game where opponents wield shovels

2) An RTS set on Chaos where you command armies of half-naked Fremium Commandos

3) A Pirates! style game featuring only knarrs

Kind of amusing to read some of these old suggestions and see that they have come into being in some form. Take this one being -1'd and now having finally being implemented with Wurm Unlimited.

Visionary's, I tell ya! And a -1 to all you -1's!

=Ayes=

Haha, thanks for bumping this oldie, I love hypocrisy, and this one is full of it lol...

• Like 1

Isn't that what WU is for?

Yes, but check the date of the OP... :P

it's a bump of an oldie.

Yes, but check the date of the OP... :P

it's a bump of an oldie.

Pretty much explained in my post but shhhh, don't let too many in on the fact that they need to read and comprehend my response.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Nice necro.

It's funny to see my opinion before I quit WO and how it greatly contrasts to my current opinion now that WU has been announced.

Uhh..

+1

• Like 1

Haha, thanks for bumping this oldie, I love hypocrisy, and this one is full of it lol...

It's also possible that the people who posted here changed their minds. It's not a crime to change one's mind and it's better to be capable of doing so than to blindly follow the same path for no good reason.

• Like 1

It's also possible that the people who posted here changed their minds. It's not a crime to change one's mind and it's better to be capable of doing so than to blindly follow the same path for no good reason.

True.

Maybe not in this particular one, but I remember wen in a similar one i've expressed strongly against an off line version of Wurm, since then I changed my mind, and I think in the long run WU will do more good than harm to WO.

• Like 1

Kind of amusing to read some of these old suggestions and see that they have come into being in some form. Take this one being -1'd and now having finally being implemented with Wurm Unlimited.

Visionary's, I tell ya! And a -1 to all you -1's!

=Ayes=

Figures it was you who necro'd this lol.

The idea changed, went from being the idea of an offline version to a completely seperate identity on a accessable platform to many.

I for one think it far more likely that there was no mind to change in many cases, and as usual, a great deal of the negative commenting was jumping on the band wagon with the pals to look cool.

The idea changed, went from being the idea of an offline version to a completely seperate identity on a accessable platform to many.

I'm sorry, but that seems like you're saying that because its on steam it's not what the OP wanted. Or did I misread your comment?

• Like 1

I for one think it far more likely that there was no mind to change in many cases, and as usual, a great deal of the negative commenting was jumping on the band wagon with the pals to look cool.

*shrugs*

Could be, but I'm sure there are at least a couple of people who are perfectly capable of expressing their own opinion.