Sign in to follow this  
PokeMoney

Wurm offline

Read everything and think a littke before putting up a -1, I know I am beating a dead horse and many players get irritated when this is brought up. Unlike past ones that I've read, this one will contain legitimate points.

We need wurm to have an offline mode or separate client. It would be great thing for players who either do not have a phone capable of network tethering, unstable Internet, or even who cannot find decent settling land and have an urge to grind or build. Me being an old supporter of an early (And I mean really EARLY) java based building game where I was constantly told that it wouldn't work, would flop, the market was too smart to eat it up, and now it is one of the most popular games on the Internet (You know which one I am talking about). It was a great and when my internet was being weird, it worked offline. What is stopping wurm from being offline?

Common arguments:

Argument: Wurm is a social MMO, there is no point in it being offline

Counter: It still has the chance of being social, a developer could add in an IRC type channel for people to chat in, and even add cross client mailing when connected to the Internet.

Argument: There will be lost money with this

Counter: Not necessarily, the devs could sell this as a monthy subscription (Or to purchase play time even), even having a dedicated login server to log the time and stuff, having the client talk to the server online, and having a ticker count time while offline.

Argument: There will be exploits, bugs, and cheaters

Counter: That is a given in any game, and is unavoidable. It will rely on an honest community to report the bugs.

So that is my suggestion, I am probably leaving a good portion of stuff out, but feel free to leave your feedback.

Guess it comes down to play styles and personal preference but I cannot imagine playing wurm if there was no other people around. I keep thinking of minecraft which to me is an instant gratification dumbed down version of wurm offline. I played it on the Xbox with the kids for a few hours and couldn't see the point.

I really have nothing constructive to add to this guy's post.. it's just that full of fail.  I'm really sorry, man, better luck next time?

• Like 3

not being a naysayer... but personally, I would have no interest in it.  Im not really sure how it would even work.

I agree with Sanfrid.  And I also never understood minecraft

I think Rolf at one point posted the stats on down time.  From what I recall there truly is very little down time in wurm to warrant any other side by side facsimile.   I do however support your idea that you want wurm to continue despite.  I never stop playing, even when i'm sleeping.  Wurm dreams are fun.

First of all, what would be the point of playing Wurm? Your skill grinding won't follow you online - they would not be able to allow you to carry your progress into the online servers. It just wouldn't work... so you'd spend huge amounts of time working for what? Something you can look at only on your own computer?

What's the point of having an "offline" mode when you have to handshake with a login server?

Last, but not least.... Minecraft was successful because of several reasons, the first of which is that it's so easy to play, even a 6 year old can do it. And they do it. You can decide to play the game in the mode you choose as well. So you can fast-build and create to your heart's content, or you can play a survival style game. You can also switch between them at whim if you so choose.

Wurm is nothing like that. Wurm is more complex and immersive, and a completely different playing experience. The comparison you make is pure nonsense. If you want to play Wurm Offline, then I recommend you download Deed Planner and build as much as you want!

• Like 3

I was hoping offline mode a long time ago.. Then I started to think that more seriously..

1. Trust me, singleplayer wurm get's you bored sooner or later, and it won't ever get you back. = -1

2. Besides, in online, there comes new things all the time that keeps you fresh, so =-1.

3. Is the empty island and "free-to-do-anything-without-limits" than important to break the community, or even slipt it? =-1.

4. Rofl don't EVER give any lines of the code out. =-1.

5. Too much work to make Offline mode, when there's working online, with huge community. =-1.

I seriously got your point but trust me, that's not necessary.

Aaw you poor thing. Well you tried. A for effort, but fail is fail.

and i don't need more reason than the ones you gave yourself;

Argument: Wurm is a social MMO, there is no point in it being offline
Counter: It still has the chance of being social, a developer could add in an IRC type channel for people to chat in, and even add cross client mailing when connected to the Internet. 

Argument: There will be exploits, bugs, and cheaters
Counter: That is a given in any game, and is unavoidable. It will rely on an honest community to report the bugs.

So you want to give people a chance to exploit bugs and have them mail items into other games (possible online version). And there's no real way of devs to keep track of what has been created using exploits and not. No, just no..

• Like 1

Too much development time for a feature hardly anyone would really need. 

Spend time on the non-java client instead and make it available for Android and IoS. 

Splitting development efforts for something not even within the scope of the development project would be counter productive for both products; Online and Offline.

This would be a huge undertaking and a massive waste of time. Players have been waiting years for online content and you suggest they create a completely separate game?

i personally would love an truly offline version of wurm no interaction with the online version at all and one has to login once to get account info and it will check for prem time(or even a one time payment) every time it does register an internet connection one might say its boring or anything but sometimes you just wanna play wurm and cant due to servers down or net down D: heck there are a lot of reasons why one would want a game like wurm to have an offline variation

Ditto. I'd love an offline version that I could play when I was away from home and didn't have an internet connection.

Games like Shroud of the Avatar have an 'offline' version as well as multiplayer online.

Not everyone likes playing with other people all the time.

I'd also pay for it, like I would any other new game.

As for the people who think it would be boring, I agree. It would be boring... for them. Not everyone has the same playstyle. Is a single player game 'boring' because it's single player? Of course not.

The only thing that makes Wurm multiplayer is that there are other players in it. :P People need to group up for... oh... about zero reason in the game. Other than perhaps Kyclops or Dragons and the like.

There are no actual events that require grouping for normal activities. (Priests and such weirdness not included.)

We have no healers, tanks, crowd control specs, etc. I have no NEED to have anyone near me at any time in order to accomplish most things.

This makes Wurm uniquely suited for being made into an alternative offline version.

And I think you'd find most people would still play online as well.

I play SOTA offline. I also play it online. But there are times when I want to play, but just don't want to deal with drama and the lolbot crowd, and so, I play it offline. My enjoyment is not lessened just because there's no one in general chat.

I would love to have a offline mode for the game.

-1 no point in an offline mode like Minecraft.

-1. I was on a server that had about 15-20 characters, other than my own, after Xan was released. It felt like solo/offline gaming and was pointless.

Edited by Wurmhole