Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

New Mag priest questions

I want to start a mag priest but I don't very much about priesthood. This would be an alt and my main question is how to efficiently use skills between my main and the priest. The wiki suggests to get most skills to level 20 before priesting, but is that important if the character is an alt? I do know that I will want at least 20.1 mind logic to drive carts and 21 body control to ride a horse. Now since the mag priest can mine I will make him my primary miner, but do they receive the same benefits of farming, animal husbandry, and cooking as other priests? I guess where some of the confusion comes from is the wiki separates soul depth and soul strength and it appears mags don't really need soul depth the way I read it.

Also for those of you that use a priest as an alt are they your primary ropemakers, stone cutters, foresters, farmers, and other jobs that don't require imping? I've been wanting to try the priest thing for a while and once I have plan I'm going to take the plunge.

with a mag priest door locks are its double favor item so Id get locksmithing up on it, although that can be done while its a priest too.

Id also get its body strength to 24 so it can load and unload crates but that's just me ;p Having at least 15 digging so it can see slopes would also be good.

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 2

Yes, mags can farm, garden, tame and mine.

They cannot woodcut or dig though, even though those actions don't require imping.

Mostly people just use a mag for mining and locksmithing, along with combat and their spells. As Rihanna said, you can train both of these before or after priesting.

I would suggest getting the stats to 'drive' and push/pull a knarr if you can first, for incase you ever wish to have an alt sail for you.

Make sure to read http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Priest/Priestess#Restrictions and understand what you are getting yourself into first of all.

Edited by Nyjah

Any stat other than body control can be ground at optimal or near optimal efficiency while a Mag priest. Body strength, stamina, mind logic, and soul strength with mining, particularly on rock walls, while soul depth can be skilled by farming or what have you. Body control can be skilled quickly with archery, but the arrows can be a pain to make with low fletching/weapon head smithing.

Soul strength is used for "combat" spells like fire pillar or dominate I believe, whereas soul depth is used for any enchants, like flaming aura or aura of shared pain. Your nature and cooking spells typically raise soul depth, which is less useful on Mag priests as they don't have the same variety of enchants as Fo or Vynora priests.

I'd recommend getting 21 body control before priesting, as finding animals for archery past level 30(?) can be a pain. I would suggest using some form of carpentry for this, as you never know when you'll want your priest to mass produce planks or whatnot. On that note, getting a decent stonecutting level before you priest would help with brick spam.

• Like 1

Get everything to the levels you want before going priest. Non priest skill gains are reduced after priesting, or so I thought I read somewhere.

Your nature and cooking spells typically raise soul depth, which is less useful on Mag priests as they don't have the same variety of enchants as Fo or Vynora priests.

This is one of the areas that I don't quite understand. Why exactly do mag priests not use sould depth as much as other priests?

Get everything to the levels you want before going priest. Non priest skill gains are reduced after priesting, or so I thought I read somewhere.

I have never heard that there is reduced skill gain. Maybe you are referring to difficulty in raising skills because priests cannot not improve items.

This is one of the areas that I don't quite understand. Why exactly do mag priests not use sould depth as much as other priests?

A Vynora priest has useful and difficult enchantments, like Wind of Ages and Circle of Cunning. A Fo priest has similar useful enchantments, like Courier and Life Transfer. Mag priests are more used for combat spells like dominate, which use soul strength. Basically, all of Mag's enchantments are either almost impossible to fail(like strongwall) or redundant, i.e. flaming aura(mag spell) is essentially the same as frost brand(vyn spell).

• Like 1

I want to start a mag priest but I don't very much about priesthood. This would be an alt and my main question is how to efficiently use skills between my main and the priest. The wiki suggests to get most skills to level 20 before priesting, but is that important if the character is an alt? I do know that I will want at least 20.1 mind logic to drive carts and 21 body control to ride a horse. Now since the mag priest can mine I will make him my primary miner, but do they receive the same benefits of farming, animal husbandry, and cooking as other priests? I guess where some of the confusion comes from is the wiki separates soul depth and soul strength and it appears mags don't really need soul depth the way I read it.

Also for those of you that use a priest as an alt are they your primary ropemakers, stone cutters, foresters, farmers, and other jobs that don't require imping? I've been wanting to try the priest thing for a while and once I have plan I'm going to take the plunge.

Mind Logic helps quite a bit too, and you should get at least enough to drive every boat in the game.    Best thing to do if you truly want a good mag priest is to buy a cheap crafting account, for 40-80 euros and priest that up if it meets your requirments.    Now I'm a mag priest mostly because I live on Chaos, and like to be able to fight as a mag.    I waited until I had 40 mind logic before I priested up and I love that decision, I'm glad I waited, since it makes many things much easier.    It also makes grinding that channeling up a bit easier since you get those two extra actions to stack.   When I'm burning through all my locks to blast out light tokens it is nice, and when I'm monitoring a war deed with the account and just checking local while I'm working on my crafter, I can just stack a bunch of prays, I get those few exta.   

Basic Skills you should have first:

1.  Body Control to ride a horse.  

2.  Enough carpentry to plan a decent house.   

3.  Digging up so you can see slopes, this is essential for when you are doing surface mining and are trying not to screw up, being able to see slope is an essential part of playing the game, there are ton of ways I use that ability even as a priest.   

4.  Mind Logic.  At least get 23 mind logic so you can pilot a Knarr from the get go.   Chances are your mag might be the strongest account you have eventially, and if you want to PvP you want your beefy account on that helm, because he may actually last long enough to get your boat to safety while being shot full of arrows.   Chances are you will be running for your life anyways in boat PvP not the other way around as a newer player.    

5.  Stone cutting up as Darth mentioned.  One of the nice things about having a mag priest is that I can make those bricks for my crafter, building goes much faster if I'm mixing mortar or popping out bricks on two clients at once.   I would recommend at least 40-50 in the skill.  

6.  23 Body Strength for unloading/loading crates   (very important)     

More things you will need/want and should consider:   

1. Consider investing in a Crafting alt, or at least make sure you have all the tools you will need as a mag before you start.  

2. Get a high QL small anvil and a mid-low QL small anvil, perferably with CoC on them.   When I'm blasting out locks, I've actually got better overall gains on the skill with a good anvil, vs a low QL anvil.     There are times you want that low QL anvil though.    

3. A ton of fishing rods imped up high.   I think you can make the fishing line but the rods you won't be able to imp.     

4. LOTS of spare mag statuettes.  I was tossed off a mountain by a nogump recently and had a embarrassing situation where I couldn't cast locate my own corpse because I didn't have a spare mag statuette in HoM. There are few things more frustrating than being a priest without a way to cast spells.     

5. MAKE SURE you have a dousing pendium for finding water spots, another reason why that high stone cutting can come in handy.  I've had a situation where this saved me as I poped a fountain up for myself in a drop shaft I fell down because I was running out of drinking water level for stamina gain so I could climb back up.     Since you will be underground much of your priest career as mag you want to be able to make your own water sources, as it's not always practical to mine down to water level.  (you may be mining up a mountain)    

6. Have a large anvil as well, so you can pound out boat locks, and other components that require it.    

7. Make sure you have a large cart built for yourself, or make one in your name before you start, a wagon is even better.  As a miner you will need to haul a ton of stuff around, having that 23 BS you need to load and unload crates goes hand and hand with that.  You also need to build the crates first too,as you can't add components to crates to complete them as a priest.    

8.  Pickaxes.  Make sure you have a set of them, skiller picks, and speed picks.    

9.  Make up a set of healing covers before you priest, since you can't make them afterwards.   I'd say around 40-50 should last you a good while.   Don't forget to always carry farmer's salve too, as it can save ur butt in many situations.    

10.  Build your altar  first.   I recommend for a newbie priest making a stone altar in your skilling mine next to your forges and iron veins.  It's also possible to push it around as you move your forges across you mine to shift to another vein as well as easy to imp up before you priest.   It's not a big deal, since you can bum off anyone who is a mag follower to make you one or if the person is not a follower you can bless the altar to turn it mag.  I tend to carry the materials around to make altars with wherever I am with my crafting alt.   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on doing any pvp I just thought a mag priest would be useful for mole sense, strongwall, and constant mining. I am considering a Vyn priest but I haven't decided yet. No matter which I choose all the above advice has been very helpful.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on doing any pvp I just thought a mag priest would be useful for mole sense, strongwall, and constant mining. I am considering a Vyn priest but I haven't decided yet. No matter which I choose all the above advice has been very helpful.

Edited by Battlepaw

Mag is probably the easiest priest to get to useful with.  If this is going to be an alt, then you don't need to do a lot before priesting - getting BC to 21 for riding and digging to 15 to see slopes is about it.  You probably already have most of the crafting skills you need on your main anyway, so getting to praying ASAP is best.  If you're going to be mining on the priest anyway, your strength and mind logic will rocket up in no time, and making door locks will help body control.  You can also do some farming and HFC grind for variety, if you choose.  As with any new character, I'd get started on meditation straight away, at least grinding it to 20 and starting on a path (love if you don't need one of the other ones) - refresh is fantastic when you're down the end of a long mine shaft!  Spend 30 mins of SB and get your prospecting to 20 (can be done after priesting).

If you're planning to priest your main, then stop and consider whether this is really what you want - it can be done (see above), but it's really something you want to be sure about, and you will need to do a lot more prep - Battlepaw's posts are an excellent pointer for that.  There are a few main Vyns around, too.

If you're planning on making a vyn priest for anything other than personal use (i.e. selling enchants), be warned that it will require a substantial upfront investment on your part before you can start selling high end enchants on a regular basis.