Sign in to follow this  
Theonis

Greendog Deforestation (Free Logs)

After talking to neighbors for months in this area.  And a few failed attempts to get this completed.  I am down at Greendog continuing a friends work on the area.  Ever time we get started, we get distracted and come back to this two weeks later and find all our hard work has been grown over by the birch again.

So the Genocide of the Birch is once again underway.  I have no use of the logs and so you may feel free to come on by and take as many as you want.  My wood cutting is around 42 as of this writing.  This project is about a line of trees a day at minimum as I'm not going to do a all day thing here cutting them down.  A line a day and take out all the saplings that take root in the area I cleared the day before.

As to why I'm cutting them down.  These suckers were not here till that bug happened almost a year ago and Greendog became a Birch Forrest.  Now the plan is to put smaller bushes in so you can actually see the capital from the highway.  Was thinking about using a bunch of grapes but I lack those right now.

As for you Fo priests screaming defiler, meh, I'm replanting other things that I think will look nicer.  Would have used willow trees but two problems there.  Wont be able to see Greendog, and two, we already know they wouldn't last longer then 1 week.

• Like 5

I don't like birch much either i am cutting them down in the new forest i moved to on xanadu trying to stop them from spreading. The tops of them are okay i guess but just don't like the white. 

so you are doing this because you dont like it.nevermind that having birch trees near the spawn its much better for new players than having bushes everywhere

• Like 5

Having trees around for new players who, until older players deeded the areas surrounding the spawn point and planted hedges to cut off the open mines near GD, generally didn't range far for their first deed, is much more important the area meeting someone's standard for a good view. How about planting other types of log producing trees if birches offend you so much?

• Like 5

If you want to clear a large section of forest without going insane woodcutting it all, plant willows every 5 tiles.

On the other hand, leaving trees for the newbies (both of them) is good...

Having trees around for new players who, until older players deeded the areas surrounding the spawn point and planted hedges to cut off the open mines near GD, generally didn't range far for their first deed, is much more important the area meeting someone's standard for a good view. How about planting other types of log producing trees if birches offend you so much?

• Like 1

This senseless cutting of trees down around the Green Dog starter Village is a destructive and unproductive. These trees are very useful to new players who might want to stick around this starter Village for a while to learn the game, much more useful than any shrub type plants. The tree uses are well known, so no need to get into that. Remember too that someone had to take the time to pick and plant all these sprouts and the temporary tree glitch had nothing to do with them being there, as it was a tree stunting effect. I would suggest that you go and clear cut and replant around the area where you live and stop destroying helpful newbie forests planted by others.

As for the hedges along the mountainside and lake. These prevent aggro spawns from descending and attacking passing players. They also discourage many mine new openings being made when there are other open mines on each side of Green Dog made for new players to use. They also focus players on making mine openings that are not underwater like along the lakeside where they are planted. Take some time to examine the area properly and you might come to realize that they are beneficial rather than harmful.

=Ayes=

• Like 7

Areas can be easily deforested and turned into unproductive grasslands that are prone to be dug up erratically, especially around Green Dog where newbies reside for a time and experiment with digging "neat" holes for the experience. The only reason the local areas around Green Dog have any trees is because certain players take the time to plant forests and then replant them when trees are cut down.

That you (Mandi) thank Theonis for "keeping up Green Dog" is a rather strange viewpoint to me, as cutting down trees for the sake of being rid of them contributes nothing but some wasted rotting logs for a time. I would bet those who go about quietly replanting, releveling dug pit areas, releveling roadways, opening and maintaining Public Mines, repairing and reinforcing dug down mine floors and the like are much interested in making others aware of what they are doing anyway, so I don't suppose you would know much about that.

There was a long time after Deliverance was opened when all Green Dog perimeter was continually deforested and various local residents got together to replant those areas for all to use. This was a big advertised project on the forums with many comments about the whole deal. Of course newbies did this to actually use these trees so it was understandable but now this latest effort of an advertised "deforesting" as a project is rather ludicrous in contrast.

Another one to add to Wurm's Ripley's pages of strange historical events, I guess.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

Thank you for clearing up why there are hedges in front of the mines. As someone who used those mines when I first began, I couldn't understand the reason. Though, come to think of it, I had quite a few corpses along that roadway from attacking animals, so it does make a lot of sense. But, I have to wonder, why not make the hedges, or a good stone wall, go around the mine entrances so the newbies can wreck that area to their hearts content (after all, the area around spawn should be used to let new players try out all the skills of the game before they get serious and deed)? As you have said, there are older players who clean up the damage and restore the area, so no lasting harm (even if it's difficult to repair) is being done.

I'm on board with the birch slaying, those trees are eyesores to me at this point.  As far as helping new players out, I don't want generation after generation of new players settling right outside of the spawn, or Green Dog will look like a crater within 6 months.  They can just as easily head 50-100 tiles in a random direction, spreading out the damage they do.

• Like 2

have you tried cutting the grass to lawn?  trees cant even be planted then... you can cut the lawn before cutting the tree or after.  gives you a few options of working it out without trees growing back.

When I started two years ago I remember there weren't many trees in GD to chop for firewood. I chopped down a birch & thought I might be doing something wrong, because there weren't many trees around. Not like in the tutorial. The amount  of birch in GD does seem like a bit much, but it preferable to when I started. Back then GD was mostly shrubs, I guess... I couldn't find many trees.

If you don't like the look of birch, replant some of them with maples. The birch are skinny trees and easily overpowered visually with maples. I'd suggest walnut, too, except another thread says walnut & chestnut cause lag:) Last thing GD needs is more lag. Mix some firs in, too (but keep them a tile or two off the roads).

• Like 1

I think any other tree but birch would be ok or at least a diversity... a whole forest of birch trees is just ugly.

After talking to neighbors for months in this area.  And a few failed attempts to get this completed.  I am down at Greendog continuing a friends work on the area.  Ever time we get started, we get distracted and come back to this two weeks later and find all our hard work has been grown over by the birch again.

So the Genocide of the Birch is once again underway.  I have no use of the logs and so you may feel free to come on by and take as many as you want.  My wood cutting is around 42 as of this writing.  This project is about a line of trees a day at minimum as I'm not going to do a all day thing here cutting them down.  A line a day and take out all the saplings that take root in the area I cleared the day before.

As to why I'm cutting them down.  These suckers were not here till that bug happened almost a year ago and Greendog became a Birch Forrest.  Now the plan is to put smaller bushes in so you can actually see the capital from the highway.  Was thinking about using a bunch of grapes but I lack those right now.

As for you Fo priests screaming defiler, meh, I'm replanting other things that I think will look nicer.  Would have used willow trees but two problems there.  Wont be able to see Greendog, and two, we already know they wouldn't last longer then 1 week.

Heh, I would come help, but as an MR, I'd insist on sand instead of bushes as the chosen medium to "replace" the birch infestation with.  

Though I do greatly suggest you use grape bushes, if you are going to bushify, as they are one of the most insidious spreading plant's I've ever worked with as the poor gardens in HoM can testify to.    Though that may be because I fertilize them with the bones of JK and the tears of BL.    :D

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

Ugly is subjective. The first time I saw a huge birch forest in Wurm I thought it was beautiful. Some newbies may feel the same way when they see the birch in GD. On my own deed, I have small areas of birch planted in groups (in a few spots), because I like the white against the brown maples. I like them mixed with walnut trees, too.

I'm not doing this for a war.  I went down to take out another line of trees, and all the bushes I had planted, and the trees I had cleared out, had been replanted.

Tpikol was there planting the trees and after a brief discussion, his reason was becuase he wants the new players to have trees.

[03:36:38] <Theonis> Hi there Tpikol

[03:36:49] <Tpikol> hi

[03:37:04] <Theonis> is there a reason why you ar eputting birtch back?

[03:39:17] <Tpikol> birch grows the fastest

[03:39:44] <Theonis> this is true, but that isn't a reason for those here.

[03:40:06] <Tpikol> need fast growing treesfor new players to cut

[03:40:31] <Theonis> they don't cut thiese trees at all.  Something more useful could be used.  Like pine or ceder

[03:41:46] <Tpikol> how

[03:41:56] <Tpikol> pine its the same as birch and cedar much slowler

[03:42:58] <Theonis> pines gives more logs per tree cut.  And yes ceder is slower, but hardly do people cut trees down here.

[03:43:06] <Tpikol> no it doesnt

So ya, I'm not about to go back and clear all the sapling out.  Not worth a war over.

Would have preferred something different though.

• Like 1

I think is a selfish idea, the newbies are very weak in combat , so if the resources are near from the GD they have a possibility of escape from one mob using the GD templars.

Why complicate the life to the newbies?  is better for them having trees, tar, water ,safety, etc, near at least early, when they are so vulnerable and disoriented.

I remember when I was newbie, I made my first house near GD, because I had near the templars for my safety and resources, like the water, trees , the mountain for mining etc.

And also I get lost about 2 hours because I tried to explore a little more far from GD , so for a newbie in my opinion is more useful stay close of Green Dog, and they need the trees near.

I don´t mind what kind of trees must be there, but we need try to think more about the newbies and others.

• Like 2

BURN THE BIRCH BURN IT! >.> no seriously replace it with pine/oak/walnut 

That was kind of the idea wipeout.  It didn't matter what was put back in its place.  I was using bushes along the road at first but once those ran out was thinking about maple/pine/ceder.  Figured a mixture would work really well as it would give a choice as to what to cut.  And a different look to the forest.  Oak and Willow is a really bad idea as I have found that the new guys will cut those first.  And we all know how long those take to cut down.

No reason for me to keep doing it though.  Tpikol took out the 200 planted bushes and put in birch again.  I also had about 300 tiles cleared out from the birch with nothing on it yet so all has been returned to what it was.  Still had another 1k of trees to cut down, but wont be continuing the project.

Still free logs there for any one who wants them.

• Like 1

This seems a very personal opinion to enforce on a public place. I love birch myself and it's always my tree of choice when planting forests.

What has always seemed odd to me is how GD became someone's personal deed. I presume a GM? I always feel like I'm trespassing when I go there, especially with the token hidden behind two layers of fencing and hedging. For me that's far more of an issue than a few trees.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, because I honestly can't be arsed, I'm willing to toss out around 200+ lavender sprouts to jumpstart the plantation that was once thriving in the now birch ridden forest. Send me a PM if interested.

so you are doing this because you dont like it.nevermind that having birch trees near the spawn its much better for new players than having bushes everywhere

Trees are absolutely everywhere. The plantation was originally lavender for a year or so and nobody had a problem with it until the "shriveled tree bug" came around, bugging out all the lavender sprouts into birch. Let's not encourage players to settle so closely to GD as new-players tend to have no conscience regard for the environment around (To no fault of their own.)

I believe it's been agreed upon by many players that birch itself, is an all-around bad tree. There is no benefit, any tree would be best, and honestly, I'd like to see the lavender plantation thrive as it once did.

What's funny is how this sudden became a problem, nobody took the effort to cut down all the lavender sprouts, many players, including myself, used it as an early business to make money. But now it seems this has become a problem for you, only for the sole purpose of inciting drama, as you've done the exact same thing in the past. I recall at one point another player had come around and replanted a various assortment of bushes in place of all the birch he had just chopped down, only for you to come back and replace them all with birch again. 

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 3

Last time I was inGreen Dog, when that treachure hunt was, I felt it was hard to actually see where the deed was, it used to be in plain open and I preffered it like that.
Totally support Theonis effort to clean up after the birch bug.

all those birch around GD make the place look bland and boring.If i wos a new player im not shore i would carry on seeing how the place looked.In my opinion it would look better with various trees planted and 1 or 2 bushes as well