Sign in to follow this  
Throndr

Mob count on Xana

I still see people complaining about mob count on Xana... Please Rolf, for the love of yourself, do not drop any more mobs in my backyard! The picture under is not really from hunting, just cleaning up a little just around (30 -40 tiles in one direction) my deed with a little help from a nice neighbor and some brave guards.

aYowYVj.jpg

• Like 3

It's not a count problem, it's a dispersal problem. Some areas are hotspots and some are totally barren. Been wandering my area for an hour now and killed a scorp, a cave bug and a dog. That's it

• Like 4

And here i was expecting another "whinge whinge, there's nothing to kill" thread. :D

The Devs have explained some of the spawn mechanics. "Need tile, need tree close by, 2 clay  tiles within 10 tiles, and so on and so on.." I have a huge olive forest on one side, a birch forest on the other. Most mobs spawn in the forest, not on the plains. Sure, it's easier to hunt on a plain, but you'll empty it fast.

Edit; Not to mention Wurmin population, The one guy I've seen in my local the last month, couldn't handle the trolls. 

Edited by Throndr

Let me guess: northern half of Xanadu and much open undeeded space around you ? My observations show me that most of the complains about " no mobs" come from the southwest end of Xan where there is deed next to deed and so creatures have to room to spawn and roam.

Remind me to swing by your place for routine "security patrols"

Providing the trolls die down

Let me guess: northern half of Xanadu and much open undeeded space around you ? My observations show me that most of the complains about " no mobs" come from the southwest end of Xan where there is deed next to deed and so creatures have to room to spawn and roam.

Correct. If you want to hunt elephants, you don't settle in New York and complain about the lack of targets :) The  problem is when those New Yorkers give millions (in tears) to breeding programs (Rolf), and thousands of lions(trolls) are dumped the african jungle (my backyard).

• Like 1

Region J10 on Xana is completely barren compared to Deli. Huuuge difference.

You make a good point here about deeds displacing aggro spawning, since they are not able to spawn on deed tiles; but, still I think that there is more to it than this.

Up around the Glasshollow area we have a lot of deeds around the starter Village and yet there are always a lot of aggros spawning in that area. Also my deed mine is piled with so many corpses from the Spirit Templar killing them, unlike any other on deed mine I have elsewhere. It does seem like some peculiar regional spawning problem which when adjusted only creates even more aggro spawns within the already heavily spawning regions.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Throndor and i spent roughly an hour clearing things then later that evening i logged back in to just as many if not more and had Icbash come help. 

Bash and i had also wondered if it went be to when the horses were pulling to the north-east? corner of pens. If you want a hunting trip We have the prime spot! 

I'd like to see spawning that attempts to match player hunting demand with server spawning supply.

It would be very interesting to see density maps that graphed mobs killed by players. If Wurm had this data it could tweek where it spawns things. Heavily hunted areas could spawn more mobs and less in areas where things arn't hunted. This may seem backwards but this would create scenarios where different players are subjected to their ideal experiences. Don't like fighting? Don't kill things and mob spawn will slow. Love hunting? kill more and more which will cause more and more things to spawn.

• Like 3

Thanks, Booskii - but it is a loooong way to get to you from SW Xana - which is almost completely barren of mobs - just the occasional seal now and 1 or 2 others further inland.  Well that is the scenario on Newspring Island anyway...

There is something very wrong with the distribution of mobs on Xana and this has been the case virtually since the beginning.  Just wish the dev's could fix it and fix it properly - have a feeling it is the same AI issue as with horses and bison going to one corner all the time...

Remind me to swing by your place for routine "security patrols"

Providing the trolls die down

Poxville C14 swing by and go up to the desert then follow the road to the steppes and bring about 20 kg of cotton cuz stuff is spawning faster than you can kill it.  :)

And that is after I killed off 4 troll mounds

Edited by Drpox
  • Like 1

Must be nice to have mobs. I have seen one seal in an entire month of playing. 

When I deeded around C12 in September of last year there were hardly any mobs, nice peaceful area and it was very relaxing. Then one day it was mob heaven, I went from 72fs to 76fs and that is just from doing casual hunting. I need to hire myself a butcher full time it seems just to clean up my deed. I learned the importance of 2H weapons and I am almost 30 in large mauls. Like OP's screenshot I've seen very similar things, mobs  everywhere.

Would be nice if we could find a happy medium, have a percentage of mobs start migrating southwards. Like the Trolls for instance :)

I'd like to see spawning that attempts to match player hunting demand with server spawning supply.

It would be very interesting to see density maps that graphed mobs killed by players. If Wurm had this data it could tweek where it spawns things. Heavily hunted areas could spawn more mobs and less in areas where things arn't hunted. This may seem backwards but this would create scenarios where different players are subjected to their ideal experiences. Don't like fighting? Don't kill things and mob spawn will slow. Love hunting? kill more and more which will cause more and more things to spawn.

yea but the mobs arnt just their for us to hunt they are there to provide some semblance of danger when traveling.

Also, resources should not be spawned to suit player density - they should just spawn wherever and players need to migrate close to whichever resource they most value. It makes scouting for a good new settlement spot fun - would be boring if it didnt matter - just deed wherever the hell you like and resources will follow :(

Throndor and i spent roughly an hour clearing things then later that evening i logged back in to just as many if not more and had Icbash come help. 

Bash and i had also wondered if it went be to when the horses were pulling to the north-east? corner of pens. If you want a hunting trip We have the prime spot! 

I also think they are programmed to favor a northeastern direction I have watched the spiders and bears spawn in my perimeter on Deli and the bears almost always head directly NE while the spiders do sort of a zig-zag in that direction. 

they need to work on the monster speed problem they crawl around now and arent even a challenge. whats to worry about when you can outrun them almost dragging a cart.

I think monster speed can suffer due to server lag, when the AI is chasing to a location you were about 20 secs ago... the monsters seem to stop and pause a lot when there's lag.

Correct. If you want to hunt elephants, you don't settle in New York and complain about the lack of targets :) The  problem is when those New Yorkers give millions (in tears) to breeding programs (Rolf), and thousands of lions(trolls) are dumped the african jungle (my backyard).

This isn't the problem. There are plenty of areas (including mine, J14) where there are very few deeds bu still no spawns. I'm lucky to see a spider once a week.

Send them south....I don't even see a bison here...what happen :-(

Pretty sure Haldrin is capturing and/or killing off the bison in our area MaryJay!  :P

• Like 1