Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Champion Animals Dying

Has anyone else been having problems with champion animals dying recently? We've had at least 3 champion dogs miscarry and die over the last couple months, but it doesn't make sense... 

Each one was cared for, being hand fed, on deed (with ratio in the 20's), frequently groomed, and all negative traits removed. none of these particular animals were venerable (old, mature, and aged). they were pregnant, but at least the mature wasn't even close to giving birth (just bred yesterday, with at least 6 days left to give birth)

looking in the logs, we noticed they are going to skin and bones despite being hand fed... 

EDIT: aditional information.... we have noticed that some of our other female dogs are also very thin, but they are NOT showing the starving title as a warning!

Edited by koroth

Has the starving title been removed? If so,can we please get clarification on this?

you need to feed them meals not meat

do animals get the same nutrition effect as players do? we regularly drop meat for all the other champ dogs, and some males show fat, but just not understanding why the females keep dying when there is food on the groud for them...

Am on Indy with champ dogs, deer, unicorns. All good, no deaths. For the doggies, they eat meat, meals, and fish. If you filet the fish, the filets seem to last the longest on the ground with least decay.

do animals get the same nutrition effect as players do? we regularly drop meat for all the other champ dogs, and some males show fat, but just not understanding why the females keep dying when there is food on the groud for them...

I believe they do and i think that is why so many had a hard time getting dragons to lay eggs they did not have enough nutrition but that is just my theory.  ( i don't think Rolf would put in two separate hunger codes so i believe we share the same one.)

Edited by Kegan

I believe they do and i think that is why so many had a hard time getting dragons to lay eggs they did not have enough nutrition but that is just my theory.  ( i don't think Rolf would put in two separate hunger codes so i believe we share the same one.)

ok, i can deal with that, but there is still the underlying problem of then not showing starving when they are low on fat reserves...

My champion cats, all fat and cared for, are going to starving soon after getting pregnant, with tons of food lying on the ground on each tile of their pens.

Thankfully, I haven't lost any due to starvation, but seems to be a sort of an issue (have none preggo right now though).

Pregnant eat a TON, I suggest both leaving meat on the ground plus hand feeding.

When I used to breed Champion dogs, I would feed stew from a barrel using a flask to give 25kg at a time until they were full. If I thought I would not be back on to check on them twice a day I would also leave meat filets on the ground. Dogs will also eat weird stuff like strawberries, pumpkins and mushrooms.  The stew is very "economical" since you can feed in small portions and can combine a mishmash of stuff (cheese, veggies, berries, mushrooms etc) as long as there is at least one meat item for carnivores. It also will help with Hot Food Cooking Skillups (unless you are already very high skill). If you are not worried about economy then leave a large stack of meat filets. Hand feeding once or even twice a day will insure they are not ignoring food when they should be stuffing their preggo faces.

I am guessing whoever was handfeeding, thought the preg dogs ate about as often as the non-preg ones so would miss feedings here and there thinking it was no big deal.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

If you use the Path of Knowledge ability "Get Info", you'll see that the current hunger value is represented by an unsigned 16-bit integer. I didn't do extensive testing on this so forgive me if things have changed, but animal hunger much like Wurm human hunger is massively weighted by food quality. Pushing 50kg of 4ql stew into a Dog's mouth is just as good as stuffing in a very tiny 99ql fish, for example.

• Like 1

Animals starving to death with food on the ground in front of them would be a server bug, I recommend reporting it.

If you use the Path of Knowledge ability "Get Info", you'll see that the current hunger value is represented by an unsigned 16-bit integer. I didn't do extensive testing on this so forgive me if things have changed, but animal hunger much like Wurm human hunger is massively weighted by food quality. Pushing 50kg of 4ql stew into a Dog's mouth is just as good as stuffing in a very tiny 99ql fish, for example.

Yes I have found that animals fill up much more on higher quality food.

While the 99Q fish and 4Q stew was just an example (I think even first day newbies will usually make better than 4Q stew and the tiny 99Q fish is actually uncommon for them) there is also the fact that making the stew will help them  make even better stew each time. I believe stew can be made at a quality 2X your HFC so that a 20 skill can make 40Q stew. I forgot my decimal point above but a .25 kg flask of moderately quality stew is what I recal animals usually eating (and you can even put veggies/herbs in the flash to make smaller portions, it also is handy for tamiling with .01kg units of stew)    But if you prefer fishing then certainly fishing is another good source of animal food, (I'd still use the fish to make fish stew, myself).  Stew in a barrel or bucket makes it easy to "refresh" decay by pouting dome out then back in (which does lower quality but at least it does not go to waste)

Anyway sorry to ramble. Yes, quality of pet food does play a role. I had quite a few of the oversized dogs and paired off with farming, stew was easier timewise for me than fishing. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I usuallt toss in leftover half rotten meals to the pigs.

Never seen them die from starvation unless they dont get anything for weeks.

The bug is if they are being cared for. Its a death sentence. For some reason the animals won't eat when you log out nor will they go in limbo if you have them log off with you. The animal will disappear like normal but if you don't log in for a while they will reappear dead even if logged out.

I would guess its intended so you can't care for animals and horde them that way. Sucks but they have gone through great lengths to kill off animals on freedom before.

Can't change my above post since I'm on my phone but I'm talking about tamed creatures not cared for. So I'm curious if you had them tamed for any amount of time? I've had champ wildcats recently that both died within 48 hours, both cared for and tamed at the time. Logged my alt in first and they would be dead. This was a problem years ago which is why I didn't continue breeding them then and again now still.

Can't change my above post since I'm on my phone but I'm talking about tamed creatures not cared for. So I'm curious if you had them tamed for any amount of time? I've had champ wildcats recently that both died within 48 hours, both cared for and tamed at the time. Logged my alt in first and they would be dead. This was a problem years ago which is why I didn't continue breeding them then and again now still.