Sign in to follow this  
PokeMoney

How to be an Successful Honorable Scavenger

This is a guideline on how to be an Successful Honorable Scavenger! All learned through personal experience

Decay: If the place is decayed or decaying, it is a safe bet that the person has abandoned the game and/or died.

Bragging: Do NOT brag about your sucessful find, it will earn you a KOS in most cases.

Stash: Always have a stash somewhere so in the event of death, you will have less of a chance of losing the valuables.

Association: Do not associate your self with any serial Looters.

Mapping: Do not map out decaying deeds, as it is dishonorable

Local: If there are people near by, do not loot.

Unlocked: If a cart is unlocked, it is free to open, but would not be advised to drag.

Creatures: Always butcher your creatures. Waste not, Want not

Keep Questions to The Question Board: People will take it out of context, and try to gang up on you with it.

~More may come as I see fit~

Edited by PokeMoney
  • Like 1

This is for PvE? It's missing a lot good points imo. Not everything is so black and white and would require longer explanations.

I'd hate to steal the idea, but if you want I could work on very large guide about this, since ive earned a gold or two by looting.

it's good to recycle items and not let em go to waste.

Staying honorable is a challenge though and guide on this is much needed :-)

Edited by silakka
  • Like 2

Mapping isn't dishonorable, It's smart. Best map, Best recycler. 

• Like 2

I guess if you're going to do it keeping an eye out on the servers twitter for disbands would be good..idk never did it

I drained a trader on Independence for 50 silver once.  :>)

I mapped out decaying deeds and any and every trader that I knew of.  I made about 2 gold off of that.

...then there is the mysterious business of a long abandoned...heavily decayed

deed...no visible token...ok..it could be hidden..but there is

also no message of "you have entered "lalalandia"".  It is to all visible metrics...an

abandoned ruin.

Howsumever...one cannot so much as pick up a rusting tool without getting a

"the deed does not allow you to do that" or a "stealing" warning.  

Murf?  what is going on?  Buggedy code?  The "system" believes that a deed is still in place?

If so..why no "you have entered "mysterious bugged deed" message?

...enough to break a salvagers heart it is.

Today, I learned that stealing a Playstation 3 is honorable as long as that person has a Playstation 4.

[14:07:26] <Pokemoney> It is in the water, but I disembarked it on some else's deed. It isn't exactly mine.

[14:10:04] <[Redacted]> that sounds like boat theft to me.  naughty Pokemoney.  /slaps hand

[14:10:57] <Pokemoney> Yeah, it is such an atrocity to take a lowely rowboat from a guy who has multiple merchant ships

[...]

[14:12:41] <Pokemoney> I am not trying to justify my theft, I am giving context

Teach us more about being honorable, please.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 3

Added a new one just for you LaRue. As probably noticed, a troll goes out of his way to shame a person. And you took more words out of context, and even transfered the context from GL-Independence to Independence, as an attempt to shame me. I would suggest in the future, not to be so beligerent.

That list doesnt read like honorable. That reads like "how to take stuff without getting in trouble".

Where is stuff like "try to find item signatures/boat/cart ownerships and attempt to contact the owner" or "see if people can tell you if a place is abandoned".

I aint saying taking stuff is against the rules, deeditorloseit, but honorable is something else, heck im a for people cleaning abandoned areas up, long as tge area is actually abandoned.

If you get kosed obviously people didnt like what you did. If you feel like you shouldnt associate with people who do exactly what you do that means something isnt kosher. Empty a cart of its contents but not take the cart? Why not, its all about reusing right? Or is it because you don't want to have the trace of a cart with ownership? If a deed is decaying... to what state? Some damaged fences? A whole chunk of house gone? A few crop fields rotten? Ive seen stuff like this happen plenty to people when theyre on another server and not able to check their land daily, but far from quit the game...

Also what context is there to be to "take a lowely rowboat from a guy who has multiple merchant ships"...

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

Salvaging without express permission from a departed player is inevitably a gray area. I like the OP and would also appreciate a more extensive guide on minimizing dishonor. On Freedom, there's no 100% cool way to salvage. Maybe 98%, but not 100.

Or just take whatever you want that isn't violating any rules. I personally don't loot, but I also don't see a problem with it. I'm actually confused why people get so fussy about this subject.

There is nothing wrong with salvaging from abandoned deeds. But sometimes it does bring the worst out of people. Come to celebration and check out the long abandoned village called Willow Landing...it's got a planted hota statue in a house there. Greed for that statue brings out the creativity in all the would be looters.1x1 shacks built against the house with fences attached then repairing all the other house walls while the last damaged wall left is safe behind their new stone walls blocking others from accessing. Then next day someone catapults previous guys walls. The place is a damn mess now.

Salvaging from abandoned deeds feels dirty because often you just feel you want to fill your pockets because of the freebies, not because you actually need the stuff. It's like salivating over a dinner buffet after you already stuffed your face. :P

I once looted an abandoned deed that was hidden quite well in the mountainous rim of a bay. There was a relatively new player settled in local, who I asked about the place (he didn't know it existed and certainly hadn't seen anyone there), then invited him to come along to look at and loot the place together. It was a very fun adventure - we estimated where the collapsed entrance to the access tunnel was near their old docks and reopened that, so we could haul the goods to the docks. At the time I still had to lead the hell hounds and trolls to a nearby tower and couldn't deal with them by myself, so there was always a chance of dying, too. I even found the keys to an old cog that was moored by the docks. I think it must have been a fun (and profitable) adventure for my accomplice, too, and I put him on my friend list. I knew his plans were also to move to Xanadu, yet when he moved he wasn't interested to take a look at the area I settled in. All in all I felt he was a bit hesitant to really consider me as a friend. Perhaps he even saw me as some kind of vulture... :unsure:

One other time a deedholder announced that he was disbanding his deed within the hour, and everything would be up for grabs. There were people in carts going back and forth, racing to find and grab the best stuff before anyone else did. There was an atmosphere of intense competition and not much in the way of greetings or mutual acknowledgement... so yeah, that felt kind of dirty, too.

I don't think bragging about salvage operations (if done on genuine abandoned deeds) is going to land you on KOS, but I do think that it will detract from your reputation in the eyes of others.

Howsumever...one cannot so much as pick up a rusting tool without getting a

"the deed does not allow you to do that" or a "stealing" warning.  

Murf?  what is going on?  Buggedy code?  The "system" believes that a deed is still in place?

If so..why no "you have entered "mysterious bugged deed" message?

Since no one has answered that so far: even after the deed is gone, the buildings and their permissions still exist. Even if some walls have rotted away, you cannot pickup things if you're not on the guest list. At some point in the decay process these restrictions are lifted (perhaps when all the locked doors have rotted? I'm not entirely sure). For this reason it's little use visiting a deed just after it disbanded, as most of the good stuff will be inside the houses.

I personally under any circumstances would refrain from interfering with an abandoned deed by bashing walls, as this crosses a line between picking things up that are available due to enough time having passed and granting yourself the access that you want simply because the game mechanic restrictions to prevent that have been lifted.

No matter how you cut it this will always be a grey area. Okay, not really. There is no grey area. I've run across loot on mountain sides where someone probably fell and couldn't find their dead body, in the water where someone probably drowned and couldn't find their dead body, in the middle of no where, same deal. Always well decayed. I never bothered to try and find the owner. I've lost things the same way. Never worried if someone ever found my things and kept them. It's part of the game.

Same thing if I abandon a deed. I've left gnomes, ore, lumps and all sorts of other stuff. I've always felt if someone wants it they are welcome to it. I abandoned the deed, left the stuff open because I really didn't want it. I don't see how it's any different with anyone who abandons a deed and whatever junk they leave behind. It's obvious they don't want it. It's been abandoned. I really don't see what the problem is here. 

However, if you have to pick locks, break walls and fences, bust things up to get to something, then obviously someone did care if someone took their stuff, abandoned deed or not. Lock it or lose it, right?

• Like 2

I don't see much problem with players (scavengers) taking whatever can be taken. All are welcome to come onto my deeds and take whatever they want. Why? Because all my deed settings will prevent them from doing so. They can also go onto my perimeters and take anything they want from there as well. Why? Because I don't leave any items on my perimeters that I expect to find there the next time I am there. They are also welcome to sail away on any boats that I might have. Why? Because they are all locked and moored which will prevent them from doing so. They are also welcome to enter any areas of my deeds and perimeters that are unlocked. Why? Because I lock them up if I don't want others going in there.

On and on it goes. The only time I might have a problem is if they break into my perimeters to cut down trees or dig up the areas; but, then this would not be considered "scavenging". Wurm game mechanics provide fine protection for those who don't want their items scavenged, even on free land areas where players can build a house and put all their items inside of it when they log out.

=Ayes=

No matter how you cut it this will always be a grey area. Okay, not really. There is no grey area. I've run across loot on mountain sides where someone probably fell and couldn't find their dead body, in the water where someone probably drowned and couldn't find their dead body, in the middle of no where, same deal. Always well decayed. I never bothered to try and find the owner. I've lost things the same way. Never worried if someone ever found my things and kept them. It's part of the game.

Same thing if I abandon a deed. I've left gnomes, ore, lumps and all sorts of other stuff. I've always felt if someone wants it they are welcome to it. I abandoned the deed, left the stuff open because I really didn't want it. I don't see how it's any different with anyone who abandons a deed and whatever junk they leave behind. It's obvious they don't want it. It's been abandoned. I really don't see what the problem is here. 

However, if you have to pick locks, break walls and fences, bust things up to get to something, then obviously someone did care if someone took their stuff, abandoned deed or not. Lock it or lose it, right?

I think that sums it up quite nicely.  

I am an amateur scavenger and have found some nice things while looking through abandoned deeds, it is fun a bit like finding buried treasure.  But if you are sitting on a cart waiting for a wall to drop or actually bashing fences to get to stuff then you are a vulture.

This is a guideline on how to be an Successful Honorable Scavenger! All learned through personal experience

Decay: If the place is decayed or decaying, it is a safe bet that the person has abandoned the game and/or died.

Bragging: Do NOT brag about your sucessful find, it will earn you a KOS in most cases.

Stash: Always have a stash somewhere so in the event of death, you will have less of a chance of losing the valuables.

Association: Do not associate your self with any serial Looters.

Mapping: Do not map out decaying deeds, as it is dishonorable

Local: If there are people near by, do not loot.

Unlocked: If a cart is unlocked, it is free to open, but would not be advised to drag.

Creatures: Always butcher your creatures. Waste not, Want not

Keep Questions to The Question Board: People will take it out of context, and try to gang up on you with it.

~More may come as I see fit~

I fail quite a few of these.

First off, I brag. Only to my friends though.

Second,I map every ruin I wander across because it makes it a bit easier to navigate with landmarks.

Third , I dont butcher every creature, but only the ones that give charcoal, hearts, and flint.

My code is, "If it's within the rules, then I can do it".

Vulture is such a harsh word Bachus.  I prefer Master Salvager, or Advanced Foraging Expert.  Although, I have finally run out of places to store it, so I have had to settle down.

Btw, bashing takes too long.  I've found catapults to be much more efficient.  ;)

• Like 3

Of course the settlement was abandoned, see that damaged wall [i catapulted] right there?

• Like 1

Yes in the old days of Indy being the only freedom server abandoned deeds went sorta like this.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Mt2E1M6dU

All of the issues raised in this thread result directly from a mismatch between:

• What is enforced by the game
  • What GMs enforce
  • What the community finds acceptable behaviour

Close the gap and the issues vanish.

Hmm I should copy paste this to a bunch of other threads. In fact, maybe macro it...?

• Like 1