Sign in to follow this  
Belrindor

Possible 'Challenge' like scenario

For one of the upcoming Challenges, how about perhaps a 'survival' based kind of theme?

I'd actually be down for a full survival server, but we could see how it went as a 'Challenge' first.

Wurm has some absolutely awesome mechanics for this already in place.

My idea is as follows: (And remember, it's just a suggestion. Some will like it, some will hate it. Feedback is welcome, but do be civil.)
You start on the map with nothing. And I do mean nothing.

• No starter tools, no backpack, no compass. Zilch. Not even a stick.
  • You must find and forage rock tiles to make stone tools, in order to make other tools.
  • You start at a random starter location. (Stone and rock tiles should be not too far away. Cliffs maybe, or even simply exposed rock.)Perhaps make 6 or 8 such starting locations, so that people are spread randomly throughout the world.
  • No deeds. What? No deeds? Yes. No deeds. Everything has the full decay that you would expect being in the middle of nowhere in the wilderness on some lost isle. You want something to last, either repair it or make it higher ql.
  • No skill bampfing. 70FS my achin' backside. You start with normal noob skills. You want to be better at something? Work for it. This way there will never be 80ql swords in this little scenario, and everything will be a bit more equalized across the board.

Additional options include:

• PVE only. If enough folks aren't down with that, then the next option below.
  • PVP, but no grouping or cooperation allowed of any kind. This is solo man or woman vs wild. No grouping up and ganking people. You want to go toe to toe, you do it at your own risk and do it alone. No hiding behind your team mates that PVP for a living. (And none of this... oh I just HAPPENED to drop a dozen 40ql swords along the road in the direction of my buddies... oops.)

There could be various prize categories for different playstyles. Something for everyone, in other words.

Since the skills would be limited based upon the limited playtime, some such rewards could be:

• First 4 x 4 Wooden Structure
  • First 4 x 4 Stone Structure
  • First gem mined
  • First 30ql stone wall (of any kind)
  • First 80ql+ item foraged/botanized. (or even make it specific. First 80ql+ acorn, etc.)

These are just some generalized ideas. I'm sure others can come up with other and better things.

Edited by Belrindor

Well Challenge is pvp based so -1. Also sounds boring as hell . I enjoy playing with the people I play with, solo play just doesnt interest me.   

• Like 1

Could be fun, BUT ..

How long such a server would have to last to give you a chance to reach decent skills starting from zero, with absolutely nothing on you?

A temporary server, Challenge-like, works because is only temporary and you can neglect your existing deed(s) for a short time; on the long time, would be a disaster ..

Also, when "the newest older servers", Pristine and Release, were brought to life (same with the old cluster at the beginning), everything was almost like in your scenario .. no 80ish ql swords to buy from anywhere, no PvP, no .. nothing, except a few basic tools (and those were lost upon death back in time).

Soo .. I'd rather give a +1 for a new server, based on these conditions, but a permanent one - not connected with older servers, only new accounts allowed to play, no money/items transferred.

BUT .. yet another BUT .. there is Xanadu .. huge, not even 2/3 claimed land, and it already depopulated the older servers a lot ...

No kingdoms, no deeds full pvp sounds interesting but why stop people from forming groups and working together? If you follow that sword trail off into the shrubs and find yourself in the middle of a five man gank that is on you not the group ganking.

No kingdoms, no deeds full pvp sounds interesting but why stop people from forming groups and working together? If you follow that sword trail off into the shrubs and find yourself in the middle of a five man gank that is on you not the group ganking.

Simply to discourage a group of people from banding together and making 20ql swords then ganking everyone the moment they step off the starting deed. The whole point is wilderness survival, not a gankfest.

Could be fun, BUT ..

How long such a server would have to last to give you a chance to reach decent skills starting from zero, with absolutely nothing on you?

A temporary server, Challenge-like, works because is only temporary and you can neglect your existing deed(s) for a short time; on the long time, would be a disaster ..

Also, when "the newest older servers", Pristine and Release, were brought to life (same with the old cluster at the beginning), everything was almost like in your scenario .. no 80ish ql swords to buy from anywhere, no PvP, no .. nothing, except a few basic tools (and those were lost upon death back in time).

Soo .. I'd rather give a +1 for a new server, based on these conditions, but a permanent one - not connected with older servers, only new accounts allowed to play, no money/items transferred.

BUT .. yet another BUT .. there is Xanadu .. huge, not even 2/3 claimed land, and it already depopulated the older servers a lot ...

One of the issues with Xan I've seen is that it's monstrous in size. This server wouldn't need to be very large as there would be no deeds. Heck, it could be 1/4th the size of Pristine and Release.

And yes Xan did destroy the population of the other servers. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle from that one.

And you don't need 'decent' skills. Not unless the server was permanent. You can do a lot of things with 20 skill in most things. This isn't about crafting wagons it's wilderness survival! :)

As for a server as you described, I'd go for that. I think that transferring money and items into a server, whilst nice for established deeds and trade, tends to totally ruin the 'survival' aspect of it. If you can bring in outside cash and get yourself a full plate aosp set and LT weapon, it kind of takes away from the whole point of it all.

Another possibility, though one that would have many folks in an uproar, would be no 'magicky' crap. That means no priests. And no coc, woa, aosp, LT, etc. (Ducks under the nearest table.)

I think priests, whilst they certainly have their place in normal gameplay on the existing worlds, would totally ruin something like this. Just look at the normal game. No one even wants an item unless it's bampfed up with high coc and/or woa. You can barely GIVE away a 90ql unenchanted tool. It's nuts. Best way to rectify that kind of thing on the new challenge/server is simply no magick at all.

Edited by Belrindor

I like the concept but not allowing people to work together is ridiculous... it's a multiplayer game :angry: