Sign in to follow this  
Edrid

New Mobs

I'll start this right off with my intent:

I would like to have mobs in between the strength of trolls and uniques.

Such a mob would ideally be designed to need 3-5 people to kill it.

The idea here is to get people to work together a little bit without getting the 100 people or so that show up for unique kills.

To that end, I'm not sure what to bring to the table to fit those needs. I just think it would be nice to hunt things that you need a small group for.

I like working with the people I've made friends with in the game, but hunting with them usually turns into us just killing separate things a few tiles apart.

Once you reach 70FS, there isn't a whole lot to challenge you except for maybe champ trolls. (except uniques).

Difficult champion mobs are not easy to come by and getting a group to go hunt them doesn't seem to happen.

So, I propose something be added to the food chain.

However just adding a new mob wouldn't get a group out there, they need to have rewards to it. This wouldn't have to be anything spectacular, in my opinion.

Possibly just 5x the amount of items when butchering, as compared to a normal mob, or something of the sort.

Another aspect would be the aggro behavior of a creature such as this.

In order to create a reason to get a group to hunt with you, it would have to be decently populated on a server. (or maybe by location?) 

So if that was the case and there were a good amount of them, then it might be a good idea to have them look similar to Hell horses, where they appear hostile, but don't attack you right away.

On the subject, but a bit of a tangent would be the Valrei mobs currently on Chaos.

Take a breath, PVPers, and don't jump down my throat just because I don't play on your holiest of servers. 

I've never been to Chaos, and have never fought a Valrei mob. I would imagine that their place in the "food chain" puts them about even with the mob I describe. (tell me how right/wrong this thinking is)

I know that Valrei mobs drop special loot. I've never understood why that is restricted to only the pvp server, so if someone actually wants to tell me why that is, in a civilized manner, please educate me.

So with all that in mind, would Valrei mobs fit the profile of what I describe?

If so, maybe the loot tables could be modified and they could be used on the rest of Freedom? (heresy to suggest it, I know)

In conclusion, I simply want something to give people a good reason to hunt in a small group.

I think it would benefit people to work together in this manner.

Please give some feedback on the idea, I would like to know what people think, besides just a + or - 1.

• Like 4

It is a good idea if it gives good fs too, it is a very slow grind to get fight tick over 70, so if these mobs cold give good fighting skill ticks it would fill a gap between trolls and uniques in this regard as well. 

Add nogumps to freedom, +1

^you will die

Sounds like the avatar mobs and nogumps would fit this role for folks looking for more challenging mobs.  That being said, they wear out their welcome quite quick, esp after multiples of them spawn on top of you, throw and bug your horse out, and more times than not - kill you.

I find them interesting, but the fs they give makes them not worth the bother of killing.  At 70+ fs they don't even give troll like fs gains and they usually put 20+ dmg on your shield without a second thought.

I imagine Freedom folks would hate them to no end if they were aggro by default.

Avatars would do this. Nogumps could, but they can get pretty ridiculous with internal wounds (ignore armor) and stuns, which are a lot worse for champs. Eagle and drake spirits walk through walls and can spam AoE stuns with internal wounds, throw you around, and do other stupid stuff that's not even fun to fight against. The other Valrei mobs are really weak.

Even coming from a PvP server, I can understand this point of view. We need weapon and fight skill, which comes from mobs, but the combat system is so repetitive and lacks immersion. This leads to people finding workarounds, which are then patched before new ones are found. I think creating a fun and dynamic mob AI system would help both sides of the game. Hunting would be more enjoyable for all, and it would be less of a grind for players who absolutely need weapon and fight skill.

Freedom (non pvp servers) already had Valrei mobs. The outcry was something I will never forget.

I enjoyed having something a little harder than a troll but it seems majority of players there were just too devastated by them so I guess that means if your suggestion is along the same lines then it is a no.

please dont add new mobs to this game. creature spawn is already broken to hell in some places. i have yet to see most of the new water mobs added. please fix first what is broken before givem them new ideas to add more broken stuff to the game. 

good suggestion +1

Leveled a couple to 70 FS and it is like hitting a wall after that. I can take out champ trolls and the exp is probably right for 74 FS that I have now, but regular trolls, fiends, crocs... they are pretty weak now and exp to match.

There really should be more difficult stuff available.  It just feels like easy mode all the time. I'm downgrading my armor now, just to make it feel less like I'm in a fighting tutorial, where you know you are always going to win.

Naturally fix bugs and performance before adding this suggestion to the game :)

Maybe add the classic Giants from good old D&D. Hill, Forest, Frost, Storm, Stone, etc.  How about Demons? Wraiths? Lich?  Could always add evil humans: Bandit, Outlaw, Sorcerer, Necromancer, etc.  Imagine travelling through the woods, seeing what looks like it might be a guard and all of a sudden, it comes running right for you with sword drawn...

Also, working with existing mobs: Make trolls tougher and give them higher QL clubs?  Would be fun to find a 90 QL club and have some fun using it for a while.

Edited by Wurmhole

+/-1

While I like idea of some stronger aggross, because hunting is as dangerous for me now as farming - there is only danger of boredom ... I understand than any stronger creature means mostly danger for noobs and non fighters.

Any hell hound is already deadly for them, without towers, spirits and fences/houses they have none chance to survive such encounter. So until that problem will be solved, adding any stronger beasts is rather bad idea ...

One solution could be really strong, but not aggressive animals. Other one could be aggressive only to players with FS 70+, but it can be considered unfair ...

Edited by Zakerak

I agree with OP.

And I would prefer fighting a group of mobs instead of just tougher single ones which really arent any opposition for three-five 70+fs fighters (of the non-uniqes).

Edited by griper

I like some of the ideas you guys bring up, I like the idea about them being types of giants. That would make them easy to spot and hunt down, as well as easy to spot and steer clear of if they were aggro.

I also like the idea about groups of mobs for a team to handle, that would bring an interesting level of difficulty to it.

The idea about them being non-aggro in a manner similar to hell horses is to avoid them preying on the "younger" population that doesn't have 70FS yet.

Hell hounds are already griped about a good bit on some servers because they seem overpopulated sometimes. And those are a death sentence to a new player who is too far from safety. I would like to avoid that kind of thing with the mob I have in mind, that said player would have no chance of killing.

To the mention of Avatars being what I need... guess I need to go try to kill some!  I was under the impression they were just as difficult as a unique. 

So pardon me for having not tried them.

However, they are not as populated as I would like for the kind of mob I have in mind.

Keep the ideas coming!

Hmmmmmmm,  +1, +2 if the harder mobs aren't agro so we don't have them nerfed down the line.

-1 to any human npcs though

Edited by Elen
  • Like 1

Freedom (non pvp servers) already had Valrei mobs. The outcry was something I will never forget.

I enjoyed having something a little harder than a troll but it seems majority of players there were just too devastated by them so I guess that means if your suggestion is along the same lines then it is a no.

They were removed for this reason. Putting them back in would only result in the same.

Avatars are the only viable solution in my opinion unless valrei creatures on Freedom become non-aggressive.

Reasons for this:

Spirit mobs are bad: (almost) no way to escape from a drakespirit , eaglespirits are also going to be the bane of mountain hermits. Just imagine a mob bypassing all the walls of your mountain deed attacking you and throwing you off a cliff to your death in a few seconds if you are not lucky. To this you can add that they are fast and that they can fly.

Nogumps can be quite tough: they have a lot of health, throw you and also have a move that stuns you for 20s. They are (or used to be) fast too. You couldn't outrun them on a wild horse. They used to spawn on Freedom too but after a lot of complaints they were removed and they have been nerfed multiple times in the past. To make things worse, they spawn in groups (or they used to do so when I was on epic).

If valrei creatures start spawning on Freedom as aggros they will make the life of newbies and hermits really hard.

Edited by Anothernoob

I would like to see some regular normal mobs added....too much fantasy mobs lately.

Maybe a Moose, Coyote, or Wolverine....something normal.

Edited by Uberknot