Sign in to follow this  
SmokinElite

Settlement planning advice

Hello wurm veterans,

So a group of people and I are trying to plan our first town/village and we thought we would ask the veteran players for some advice. The settlement will be on Xanadu near Summerholt and so far we have thought about farmlands, tree plantation, a community kitchen, skilling area, storage area and a hotel/apartment building where we can crash until we get on to our feet and build our own individual huts. :P

We want to avoid a situation where we put in a lot of effort and then think: "Ooh, should have really thought about that and that. Gonna have to redo it all." Do you guys have any suggestions about different things that we should note when building a settlement or got any tips in general? 

Thank you in advance

Edited by SmokinElite
  • Like 1

well there is not really a master plan to build the best village. You will need to build a town after your needs. Build it from the center beginnging to the outside add what you need to the village during the months.

A good advice might be not to build on Xanadu as the server is really bad atm. No animals, and much lag. You should prefer deli or exo instead.

Different types of veins, relatively flat area, access to ocean (if not shoreline), tar and clay ondeed or close to it. Have fun!

Your carpentry skill also determines how big you can plan your buildings (1 point in carpentry = 1 floor/wall tile) so if you are brand new to the game you will need to spend some time working on your carpentry skill to build a few of your buildings. If you are planning to build them out of stone you will also need 30 masonry in order to do that.

Xanadu isn't too bad in my experience, Finding animals depends on where you live I find the area to the north of Summerholt has plenty of animals but areas in the south seem to have less. If you need a hand with anything feel free to message me here in the forums or catch me in game with a private message and I will be more then happy to help out in any way I can. :)

Different types of veins, relatively flat area, access to ocean (if not shoreline), tar and clay ondeed or close to it. Have fun!

This is most important. Don't worry about things you can build...think about natural resources/location, things you cannot (easily/cheaply) change.

If you don't have any iron nearby, be prepared to travel to get more for a long time. (Unless you plan on transmutation rodding a vein, which is costly unless you have 95+ mining)

This is most important. Don't worry about things you can build...think about natural resources/location, things you cannot (easily/cheaply) change.

If you don't have any iron nearby, be prepared to travel to get more for a long time. (Unless you plan on transmutation rodding a vein, which is costly unless you have 95+ mining)

We thankfully talked to a guy who allows us to use his mine for iron and whatever we find so no worries about that. 

We don't have tar, but we have olive trees not that far from us. Also there are some clay tiles too next to the lake we are at.

Your carpentry skill also determines how big you can plan your buildings (1 point in carpentry = 1 floor/wall tile) so if you are brand new to the game you will need to spend some time working on your carpentry skill to build a few of your buildings. If you are planning to build them out of stone you will also need 30 masonry in order to do that.

Xanadu isn't too bad in my experience, Finding animals depends on where you live I find the area to the north of Summerholt has plenty of animals but areas in the south seem to have less. If you need a hand with anything feel free to message me here in the forums or catch me in game with a private message and I will be more then happy to help out in any way I can. :)

Thanks, we will consider it.  :P

You need your OWN mines and veins, trust me, you NEED those. Tar is used for shipbuilding...

well good luck on it. Dig your own mine. Learn how to analyse and find iron yourself. And clay!

Might be a good idea to reserve a spot in your plan off to the side or in the corner to build a mine, just need to dig the dirt down until you hit rock and you have yourself a mine, just make sure you leave enough room to build yourself a ramp to get in and out of the mine too. :P

That is never bad to have. Nobody knows what you will need in a few months

You need your OWN mines and veins, trust me, you NEED those. Tar is used for shipbuilding...

I thought you meant to use tar for lighting lamps and lanterns. My bad.

I suggest using Deedplanner 2 to lay out your village before building it actually... 

I have been playing around with it a little already, but still thanks. Do you guys know any tutorials that exist for the program?

Here's our post for Waterdeep.

Originated as a peninsula and converted it into a flat fortress island.

My motto: Plan for everything!

It's a modular design where each building supports multiple tradecrafts, so all are covered.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/90000-waterdeep-a-work-in-progress/

Design link is in there somewhere.

Everything can be improved upon, but maybe it will spark some ideas.

Recommendations:

1. Plan for everything! :)
  2. Coastal or at the very least secondary deeded coastal access
  3. Mine
  4. Work areas close to their raw resources
  5. Flatter the deed area the better. Slopes slow you down and it adds up. No one wants to spend more time traveling in game. It gets tedious and drains your stamina out of game as much as in. :D

Happy gaming!

Edit: Deedplanner is an amazing program and I highly recommend it. However with that said; it can distract in the beginning "layout design" of your deed. Pen and paper work great. ;)

Edited by Tuanta

Here's our post for Waterdeep.

Originated as a peninsula and converted it into a flat fortress island.

My motto: Plan for everything!

It's a modular design where each building supports multiple tradecrafts, so all are covered.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/90000-waterdeep-a-work-in-progress/

Design link is in there somewhere.

Everything can be improved upon, but maybe it will spark some ideas.

Recommendations:

1. Plan for everything! :)

2. Coastal or at the very least secondary deeded coastal access

Mine

Work areas close to their raw resources

Flatter the deed area the better. Slopes slow you down and it adds up. No one wants to spend more time traveling in game. It gets tedious and drains your stamina out of game as much as in. :D

Happy gaming!

Wow, now that's awesome!

Do you have the entire area under deed or perimeter? Or have you guys built on wilderness tiles too?

Thank you for your tips.

Edited by SmokinElite

All deeded.

Definitely want to try and deed anything you plan to work with in this game.

I have no idea how many times "deed it or lose it" is quoted in the forum, but i'd imagine its quite a bit. And its for a reason. :)

Besides, upkeep "repair" for anything off deed would take away from your fun time.

Our design requires very little upkeep. Just have to replace enchanted grass tiles every month or so as they wear out.

You could improve on the design by having the building structures in the center and the resource areas on the outside surrounded by walls. Even less travel time needed between buildings and would promote a better community/village feel having everyone closer together.

Each person should have their own workstation. Otherwise things get misplaced or moved or the forge gets full etc.