Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Newb Tool Adjustments

Tbh have overlooked some shortcomings in the starter gear due to rarely making new chars these days, especially on new maps.

It may help to add a mallet or hammer to the starter set, perhaps even share the functionality of both while each keeps bonuses in their original respective functions. Akin to all bladed items being able to butcher, and butcher knife gives better returns.

Also would be nice if all of the starter set items were non-drop in pve deaths. The backpack and pottery bowl to name only a few.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

Tbh have overlooked some shortcomings in the starter gear due to rarely making new chars these days, especially on new maps.

It may help to add a mallet or hammer to the starter set, perhaps even share the functionality of both while each keeps bonuses in their original respective functions. Akin to all bladed items being able to butcher, and butcher knife gives better returns.

Also would be nice if all of the starter set items were non-drop in pve deaths. The backpack and pottery bowl to name only a few.

Lots of newbies quit the game because of loosing their starter tools. I remember myself starting wurm, had to re-make 4-5 characters, just because of loosing those goldworth newb tools.

+1 For not loosing newb tools @ pve.

• Like 2

-1 mallets are easy to make, IMO if you're gonna give them anything extra, it needs to be a sickle and a water container like a waterskin

• Like 5

yeah mallets are easy to make, i think the tool newbe is missing in starter set the most is chisel.

• Like 1

True those would be pretty handy right off, especially for replanting trees, and they require a certain degree of work and experience to make.

Personally it would be fine if hammers or mallets were not added; however, I would really like to see them have shared functions akin to butchering as long as they remained the best choice for their respective roles. For example you could use a mallet to imp a hammer, it just will not work as well.

+1 to no drop on all new player gear.

Seeing some kind of 10ql birchwood sickle in the starting gear would be great to imo  ;)

+1 for non drop noob items on death.too many players quit because theve walked to far and have lose there basic tools and have no idea how to get them back and dont like to ask for help

+1 for non drop noob items on death.too many players quit because theve walked to far and have lose there basic tools and have no idea how to get them back and dont like to ask for help

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is it exactly. As it is set up now there is a decent if not better chance of a new player losing his starter kit and having no way of retrieving it from their corpse and having no idea how or why to even continue playing without the basics of the starter kit. it's also extremely discouraging to be killed by who knows what or fall off a cliff somewhere and end up even worse off than the instant you began the game. That should never be possible. 

It takes a bit of time and experimentation by new players for Wurm to really convey the aspects it's good at and why it's worth the effort to play. The loss of the starter tool kit alone could and does prevent that from taking place right off the get go.

The pottery bowl is useless anyway until they get established. Give the newbs a pottery jar to keep some water while travelling mega continents like Xanadu! Water is a much more urgent need than nutrition for newbies.

I don't agree to the backpack being no drop, while it's useful it's certainly not needed to survive. There are already so many newbie bonuses like reduced aggro range, and spawn counts are lower than back when I started... there should be some consequence to death. :)

I don't understand all the posts in here saying that people quit because they lose their starter kit. The newb tools are no-drop, only the bowl and backpack are not. I suspect that the bowl and backpack aren't no-drop because they are containers.

But +1 to giving them a pottery jar, though. Mallet isn't needed.

• Like 2

+1

The addition of a sickle to the starter toolset would be nice, however I'd actually rather just see a change that allows any knives to be used to cut saplings at a QL penalty based on the knife.

• Like 1

+1

The addition of a sickle to the starter toolset would be nice, however I'd actually rather just see a change that allows any knives to be used to cut saplings at a QL penalty based on the knife.

Good point considering I can chop a tree and butcher with a shovel why not use carving knife for saplings as well.

• Like 1

Maybe make creating a mallet a part of the tutorial...shows how to craft something useful

• Like 2

I've created 3 new toons in the past month. Before that it was sometime in early 2014 since I'd created a new toon, and a lot of things have changed since then, including Golden Valley and the tutorial.
I did like the improvement to the tutorial. But I also felt that a few things were missing.

Pottery jar for one. It tells you to carry around a waterskin. Riiiight. Like any noobie is going to have access to the leather to craft one of those when they can't even kill a pheasant without getting pwnd.
It should advise to put water in a pottery jar, and a noobie one that you cannot lose (and which does not decay as long as it's in your inventory) should be provided.
+1 on the sickle. Then noobies can replant all the trees they cut down! :)

Luckily I never died as a proper noob. I was super duper careful. Then got nailed by a troll from behind one day whilst out picking sprouts. Thing one shotted me. BAM! Swirly screen. I was like... wtf?
Then finding my body? Oh that was fun. It was the middle of tall grass season. I had to tweak my graphics settings to be able to see my body in the grass from about 10 tiles awy before the grass drew. I actually passed within 5 squares of my body like six times in an hour, and still couldn't see it before tweaking the settings. Very, very, very uncool.

I took a break for a while, a friend told me about tweaking those settings, then went to look for my body again, and about an hour and a half later, finally found it.

Most people would have just quit at that point. I mean really, taking hours to find your body? Who's idea of 'fun' was that anyway? Totally discourages exploration for newer folks. Finding your corpse should be like 100 karma. Seriously. Who gains anything if it takes me hours to find my corpse? No one. That's time that I'm not playing, and time that I'm getting PO'd, increasing the chance that someone'll just say fark it and quit. Dumb mechanic, and seriously needs tweaked.

+1

+1 to the sickle/carving knife idea

I keep a bunch of sickles in my house just to give to newbies when they come through my area. It would be awesome if they could start with a sickle in their kit, but even better if they could just use the carving knife to cut sprouts. That's one less tool to carry around in the beginning. The sickle doesn't weigh much but they do everything on foot to begin with so every little bit helps.

I don't think the mallet makes sense to include since it's pretty easy to make and all you need is wood.

• Like 1