Sign in to follow this  
Meog

Mining - How you get Ore Veins?

What is the best distance (o) between tunnels (x) to finding of Ore Veins?

(Copper, Gold, Iron, Lead, Marble, Silver, Slate, Tin, Zinc)

Don't consider rock shards or xp.

x=mined

o=not mined

So xoox ect. is the expose everthing method.

What do you think?

Basically i go...something like that is all directions....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xooxooxooxooxooxooxooxoox

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best path for underground discovery is indeed:

xooxooxooxooxooxoox

xooxooxooxooxooxoox

xooxooxooxooxooxoox

xooxooxooxooxooxoox

However, you can also set up your mine to "harvest" veins.

Mining out in the following pattern will maximize your chances for tiles to collapse and therefore increase the chance of getting additional ore veins. (Since when a tile collapses, you can either get rock or veins)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note that vein types are regional at map creation. However this does NOT appear to be the case when tiles collapse, as I've gotten many different types that were never discovered in the area previously.

Probably best to reserve the "harvest" layout for on deed.

Happy mining!

Easier now to grab a compass and use analyse for finding veins, takes maybe a few hours to get to the 30-something prospecting required for a 2 tile range, making this much more time efficient than mining feather shafts.

Easier now to grab a compass and use analyse for finding veins, takes maybe a few hours to get to the 30-something prospecting required for a 2 tile range, making this much more time efficient than mining feather shafts.

I kind of like clearing rows for the chance a new vein pops up myself.  Plus the mine has a layout to it that's easy to remember.

Folks have already explained the best intensive mining system, ut if you're vein hunting and want to cover a very large area, high prospecting can really help. At 70 prospecting (it's a pretty fast skill to raise, so doesn't take too long) you can see up to 5 tiles away (depending on the vein type), so if you're not looking for silver or gold, you can create tunnels 10 tiles apart and still search every tile for veins.

• Like 2

Hordern: Folks have already explained the best intensive mining system, ut if you're vein hunting and want to cover a very large area, high prospecting can really help. At 70 prospecting (it's a pretty fast skill to raise, so doesn't take too long) you can see up to 5 tiles away (depending on the vein type), so if you're not looking for silver or gold, you can create tunnels 10 tiles apart and still search every tile for veins.

"Traces" - Shows for ore that is 1 tile away. Unlocked with Analyse at prospecting level 20.                                         xoooox

"Slight traces" - Shows for ore that is 2 tiles away. Unlocked with Analyse at prospecting level 20.                             xoooox

"Faint traces" - Shows for ore that is 3 tiles away. Unlocked at prospecting level 35.                                                   xoooooox

"Minuscule traces" - Shows for ore that is 4 tiles away. Unlocked at prospecting level 54.                                          xoooooooox

"Vague traces" - Shows for ore that is 5 tiles away. Unlocked at prospecting level 70. (I saw this at 69.8+)                 xoooooooooox

"Indistinct traces" - Shows for ore that is 6 tiles away. Unlocked at prospecting level 85(?). (Needs confirmation)    ?xoooooooooooox?

I already found Silver - it was 2 tiles from diging - Where do I get official Gold Vein & Silver Vein Distance?

I already found Silver - it was 2 tiles from diging - Where do I get official Gold Vein & Silver Vein Distance?

Easiest way, is if you already have a silver vein, try analysing shards from different distances. I'm certain that in the same lines, I have found vague traces of iron, but also [i can't remember the specific wording] 'vague traces of an unknown ore'.

I don't like skill grinding much, but I decided to do prospecting one day and ran it up to 60 in a few hours.  Prospect the same tile about 5-10 times, then move to the next tile and repeat.  Go down one side of a long tunnel and come back prospecting the other side.  Just keep running loops in that tunnel and presto, you will prospect like a boss.

I am so very glad I took the time to do it.

Edited by Wurmhole