Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Too Many Disconnects and Lag, Going to play a different game

I am unable to play on any server due to either massive lag or inability to log in, sad times.

Over the last 2 weeks for me things have been steadily declining, Have been getting frequent disconnects which never used to happen and today when i logged in i was getting 10-30 sec of refresh lag which is making the game unplayable.

Also whenever i leave my deed to hunt etc after about an hour on average i get stuttering lag which has been going on for months, Bout time Dev's focused their attention properly and sort whatever is causing these issues.

Over the past few weeks, the lag has gotten considerably worse even when other complained I had none, now I find it difficult to leave my deed as I get stuck in doorways, rubber banded, position on the server not updating and just now, Out of synch. I'm not one to usually complain as I understand that Wurm isn't some AAA title, but its becoming a joke now.

All that lag issue have nothing to do with servers. It is not server-side.

In the most case (except some little time) the issue is cause by a bad routing between your ISP and our hoster. Our hoster is currently working to find a better route. That explain why that is happening only from a few days.

Rolf is trying to do his best to help the hoster to fix that issue. Please be patient.

Regards,

GiuseppeP.

• Like 3

Just to prove it's not Wurm's fault, here is my tracert from Sweden:

Tracing route to jenn001.game.wurmonline.com [148.251.21.205]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.1]

2    18 ms    17 ms    17 ms  gw1-no235.tbcn.telia.com [81.233.52.1]

3    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  s-b6-link.telia.net [213.248.77.185]

4    22 ms    22 ms    23 ms  s-bb4-link.telia.net [62.115.136.36]

5    33 ms    32 ms    32 ms  hbg-bb4-link.telia.net [62.115.142.156]

6    39 ms    38 ms    38 ms  ddf-b2-link.telia.net [213.155.135.97]

7    39 ms    38 ms    38 ms  init7-ic-310235-ddf-b2.c.telia.net [62.115.54.66

]

8    58 ms    66 ms    58 ms  r1waw1.core.init7.net [82.197.168.222]

9    96 ms    97 ms    99 ms  r1nue1.core.init7.net [77.109.140.30]

10    59 ms    59 ms    59 ms  gw-hetzner.init7.net [77.109.135.102]

11    63 ms    64 ms    63 ms  core12.hetzner.de [213.239.245.25]

12    63 ms    63 ms    65 ms  core21.hetzner.de [213.239.245.30]

13    65 ms    65 ms    65 ms  juniper4.rz20.hetzner.de [213.239.245.242]

14    67 ms    63 ms    63 ms  hos-tr3.ex3k18.rz20.hetzner.de [213.239.203.70]

15    65 ms    64 ms    64 ms  jenn001.game.wurmonline.com [148.251.21.205]

Trace complete.

On Xanadu, there is lag in menus etc. (maybe about 200ms at prime time) but that is server lag, not networklag and it's not game breaking, even though pretty annoying at times. 

Edited by Torgrim

I would kill for 200ms menu lag.  Even 500ms (epic fail normally in a game) would be worth a celebration.  I can usually ride my cart for 5+ tiles after making a corner, before the horses actually turn.  Quite fun driving sideways.

All that lag issue have nothing to do with servers. It is not server-side.

In the most case (except some little time) the issue is cause by a bad routing between your ISP and our hoster. Our hoster is currently working to find a better route. That explain why that is happening only from a few days.

Rolf is trying to do his best to help the hoster to fix that issue. Please be patient.

Regards,

GiuseppeP.

Thank you!!!!!! Finally some kind of PR acknowledgement that hey, Theres something going on! Really appreciate the post. 

Not meant as a rant, but a Chat Moderator has generally nothing to do with the PR or the DEVs.

If i remember right it is known since many weeks that hetzner is the problem for the players who got the heavy dc-issues.

Glady for this old furry, he isn't affected by it yet *throws salt over the shoulder and knocks on wood*.

Good luck for the victims anyway.

Edited by Oldwolf

i never had lag issues with wurm untill approx 3 weeks or so, it started to kick me out like 10 times a day, refreshing menu can sometimes take up to a minute.

I get really annoyed and lose motivation to play, but then again again when i realise that switching host provider will make wurm to be offline for a week, i kinda dont want to complain..

Seems to be easing up, the lag bursts... at least from this end... 

Though Rolf may wanna leave Hetzner with "slightly better" so they don't stop getting their act together just yet =P

after about 6 disconnects in last 15 minutes this is really becoming annoying as hell.. someone in kchat told me to try VPN.. can anyone explain me what that is and how to do it because im total noob when its up to interwebz tech

God help us with this lag...

VPN is a Virtual Private Network.  What you do is find a Gaming VPN provider that is hopefully based somewhere near the service provider for Wurm's servers, or has a site near them that you can connect to.  You would download a small piace of VPN software to your PC, then with it, you establish a direct connection to them, that bypasses a lot of the Quality of Service checks you would normally suffer with your current internet provider, hopefully getting quick access to Wurm.  Lower latency and fewer disconnects.... in theory.

However, it isn't up to us to have to pay for work arounds, to play this game.  VPN service runs around $10-20 a month, introduces a 3rd party, who now has more access to our PCs than I am comfortable with and still doesn't prevent the core problems from happening at the hosting provider.  VPN just makes it feel like you are there in Germany, but you still have to "get in" to Hetzner (or whatever they are called).

In a situation where you just have constant 300-700ms lag from bad routes and get throttled on bandwidth from your ISP, a VPN is potentially a great way to solve the issue.  Our issues go far beyond it.

Only been playing other games mate. Leaving will depend on whether this gets resolved anytime soon. I would like to add that I've been on Wurm a bit the last two days and the d/c have not affected me. Seems others are still having issues and I hope the problem gets resolved soon.

Only been playing other games mate. Leaving will depend on whether this gets resolved anytime soon. I would like to add that I've been on Wurm a bit the last two days and the d/c have not affected me. Seems others are still having issues and I hope the problem gets resolved soon.

I've mostly just cut down my number of alts to one or two now. I've also learned to take only expendable equipment and horses out on extended trips.

It's actually been a bit of a boon for me, I've managed to save up a large sum of money that used to instead go into paying for alt accounts that were increasingly difficult to manage due to the repeat disconnection issues.

I've stopped paying for my premium through the shop too, and become a leech. To be honest, I don't want my money going to those annoyingly wasteful and doomed attempts at getting people to PvP. Vote with your wallet, right?

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Dont forget the fps drops people are experiencing now that challenge 2 is live.

That was an issue I had also was lag every day and it was annoying Just saying I left and am playing a game where you can defend your self with out a GM getting involved at all. So yeah I already left too. this is the first time I have posted I gave my accounts away lol. Thats how much I cared after my last issue. back to Eve online

Edited by Birdwatcher
  • Like 1

I'm experiencing the same issues, constant disconnects at times with severe lag.  I'm fine with 0 lag in any other MMO. I have 3 premium accounts that will not be renewed unless there is a promise of this issue being fixed.

Ah... no need to clean my PC up.  Thought something was off.

Edited by Mordraug

Nomad that's your Computer. Challenge is in no way responsible for your frames per second. Like, At all

Ever.

EDIT: Clarification - FPS Drops that occur on other servers are because of whats there, NOT because challenge is live again.

Edited by akaedis

Disconnects here. About every 5 mins or so, I disconnect and auto-reconnect. No clue why it started doing that. Been playing for my first 3 days just fine.

Already playing other games for a few months. Not so much the lags and disconnects but simply the game is dead to me. Most of my neighbors are gone, sick of playing alone.

I have to join the crowd of victims of unplayable lag.  While I'm more than willing to work through the problem, I've already worked with Rolf on it, and while he was very helpful and eager to get the problem resolved, the "fix" actually just made lag worse for others while doing little to nothing for me, so it got reverted.  We're still trying to figure out what to do.  I wish there was more that Rolf could do about it on his own, but there's an ocean's distance from there to here, and anywhere along that path could be the problem.  I'm not quitting Wurm over this though.

I suggest talking to contact@wurmonline.com about the lag situation you personally are experiencing, and offer to assist with diagnostics, which will include about 15 minutes of back and forth traceroutes and pings using a special diagnostic tool called MTR or WinMTR, so that the problem can be fixed.  Waiting around for the problem to fix itself won't actually fix the lag.  We need to participate in making sure that our game experience is a good one.