Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Actual patch notes!

Patch nerts  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have patchnotes?

2. 2. How detailed?

• Vaguely...
    • Detailed, telling us how X works/is intended to work.
    • I dont want patch notes.

Detailed patchnotes of pretty much everything that goes into the game... like any other game has.

I should note we already had a poll about this which was ignored by all developers and rolf. the majority voted for yes and detailed notes.

I should also also also note at the moment we have NO PATCHNOTES except for  the RARE something like " rugs are ingame"

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116832-patch-notes-discussion/ <-- link to the old poll, 98/113 people voted for better patchnotes!

Edited by Radni
  • Like 2

it was ignored once, what should stop them to not ignore it again?

Expect it to be posted again then :)

• Like 1

I vote for details.  Not gonna happen though.  Best we can hope for is those rare moments when a dev or GM plops a juicy game mechanic in our laps, like what Tich did on Woad yesterday.  Treasure those moments.

Without detailed info anyone can be cheater according to game rules 

"Cheating Definition: * Obvious abuse of any exploit, bug or other method of gaining skill/items that is not as intended. (macros are covered by the rule above)"

I'm not a mentalist and have a problem like thousands of wurm accounts what is intented and what is just a bug.

Detailed patchnotes of pretty much everything that goes into the game... like any other game has.

I should note we already had a poll about this which was ignored by all developers and rolf. the majority voted for yes and detailed notes.

I should also also also note at the moment we have NO PATCHNOTES except for the RARE something like " rugs are ingame"

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116832-patch-notes-discussion/ <-- link to the old poll, 98/113 people voted for better patchnotes!

If we want to see a change we need to get all players to vote. 100 votes of 5k accounts is not enough.

I would love for the community to come together and cast vote even If they feel the answer to be No.

Patch notes: Yes, every time there is any client/graphic/server/sound/... change. Keeping a log would show the player base more of just how much the dev's are working on things. As it stands now, its overlooked AND the player base is frustrated with very little information.

As for the details: I know this will probably not be the norm but I chose Vague. Reason being, I don't think we should know all the details. Especially when it comes to behind the scenes calculations etc. However, recently if we even get patch notes, they have been a bit too vague in my humble opinion. :D Sick Red Baron or Enki on it.

I would agree vague to a point, when it comes to pvp everything needs to be detailed.

But it's seeming more and more like code club AB is putting in stuff on a whim and not worrying about balance or specifics.. Like shield bashing tweaked... Wait what is that supposed to mean?!

For pvp it should come down to exact %, it wasn't until too long ago that we learned what rare armor did.. After years.

Not sure if Rolf knows these awnsers either..

• Like 1

For pvp it should come down to exact %, it wasn't until too long ago that we learned what rare armor did.. After years.

After years of believing it only reduced damage to the armor itself, not the wearer. It was a small bonus, which is good, but we didn't even know it existed because it was unnoticeable and we weren't told what it was.

I do think that exact values should be given simply because some people have them from test. Stop making everyone play on test (which is very user-unfriendly) when the real game is on live servers.

I like the mystery and discovery. The false beliefs, superstitions. I like being able to play, and feeling like there are multiple options, instead of number crunching that exact 1% best option. I think that knowing the exact details of everything detracts from wurm.

Thus, I don't want patch notes. I don't believe that knowing about a tiny bonus, or there not being a bonus where we think there is one, provides value that outweighs the fun of speculation and testing (NOT on the test server, on live. Like how people thought that salt made meals last longer, but it in fact starts their decay right away, instead of after 2-3 days)

Without detailed info anyone can be cheater according to game rules 

"Cheating Definition: * Obvious abuse of any exploit, bug or other method of gaining skill/items that is not as intended. (macros are covered by the rule above)"

I'm not a mentalist and have a problem like thousands of wurm accounts what is intented and what is just a bug.

I get what you're saying, but you're VERY heavily exaggerating. Obtaining dig ticks 5% faster or so, while perhaps a bug, is not something you are going to get banned over. Being able to empty a large crate, and keeping the contents in that crate at the same time, is obviously exploiting a bug to dupe. Selling cheap junk to your trader  that is selling for a bit more than comparable items might be a bug, but again, not 'cheating'. Using 4 characters to all sell at once, getting the sale in to kick out 4x as much as the deed token would normally give out is obviously an exploit.

I don't know I think having to learn things is a challenge at times. If always told everything exactly as it is then there would be nothing to figure out.  They do give you an idea of whats changed a lot of times.  I do not think a dev should have to give patch notes of every single change and new thing he adds.

Edited by Uberknot

Basically, not providing good patchnotes is just a dodgy way of saying "this is my game, not yours" and avoiding criticism and/or constructive feedback from the playerbase.

Agile software development methods, real patch notes and creating a Player-represented elected counsil for organizing community feedback is something that could be really great for this game.

If the playerbase pays the bills, why arent the players opinions more valuable to the development of this game?

The best thing CCP ever did was create the CSM.

Whitepaper:

http://web.ccpgamescdn.com/communityassets/pdf/csm/CSMSummary.pdf

Keep in mind that the cheating/exploit definition was recently updated. The previous wording was very specific and included only actual bugs - flaws in the game code. It did not include creative and unintended use of intended features, which the new definition was broadened to cover specifically because of the patch note issue.

I'd really like it if they could fix the actual issues (vague patch notes) instead of only attacking symptoms. The rule change was good, but it still doesn't fix the problem. It now gives more room for bans without changing how much the players actually know about the mechanics that they may be unknowingly using in an "incorrect" way.

Not everything has to be a big secret and most of the time it seems it's more about laziness or bad coordination instead of actual plan of keeping things hidden

So... winching now barely uses stamina at all and instant winch is gone. Regardless of whether these are good or bad changes, it would have been nice to have been told.