Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Magranon priest rehaul

I also don't see talk in here of what the casters skills are and what the targets skills are which seems like it should be considered when talking balance.

1) A new account with only skills required to priest up and spam faith from sermons

vs

2) An account played to bring up skills that can't be skilled once becoming a priest in preparation for it and has some good channeling and body control

is it intended that fire pillar work as effectively for both?

1) A premium alt account that's used to dig dirt and bring body up (or mining alts) this results in only bringing up a specific set of skills

vs

2) An account that is well rounded and has done farming and nature to bring soul depth up

should both of these account be effected the same way?

Edited by Pryath

On Epic a few days ago, a mag champ was doing 18 dmg firehearts on my horse through chain barding (they ignore armor/barding though, right?  I always forget.)

just throwing that out there

I am playing a magranon priest as main char on freedom, so here are my 5ct.

- i cant discuss about PvP balancing as i simply dont know

- remove reinforcing cave walls with wooden beams, cuz this feature takes away most of mag priests use

- add an ability to destroy fences and other structures fast as additional use for mag priests (ofc. only with deed permission and player must take care of griefing rules...)

- make frenetic charge last 15 minutes and make your horse go considerably faster

I am playing a magranon priest as main char on freedom, so here are my 5ct.

- i cant discuss about PvP balancing as i simply dont know

Understandable

- remove reinforcing cave walls with wooden beams, cuz this feature takes away most of mag priests use

strongwallings main point was to collapse the open caves so people wouldnt need to spend a lot of silver for shaker orbs... not to reinforce...

Also I think it would be better to give them some new pve ability rather than remove it from your neighbours ;)

- add an ability to destroy fences and other structures fast as additional use for mag priests (ofc. only with deed permission and player must take care of griefing rules...)

It excists and was scaled down cuz of pvp reasons. I'm sure you understand why "destroy fences and structures fast" may be bad pvp wise. (it used to be a big aoe field)

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wrath_of_Magranon_%28spell%29

- make frenetic charge last 15 minutes and make your horse go considerably faster

if horses go considerably faster for 15 minutes it would mean pvpers would have big difficulties to be able to catch mag priests on horses or escape them in open terrain. it kinda messes up pvp balance if a priest type gets free fantastic horse shoes.

Edited by Zekezor

The suggestions some people made a few pages ago (one of them was increased chance to find gems for mag priests) were all quite good. Everyone seemed to be in agreement.

It'd be more constructive if a list was made of ideas and discussion over what's listed instead of loads of different suggestions just being thrown in randomly.

Also I think it would be better to give them some new pve ability rather than remove it from your neighbours ;)

Makes sense.

It excists and was scaled down cuz of pvp reasons. I'm sure you understand why "destroy fences and structures fast" may be bad pvp wise. (it used to be a big aoe field)

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wrath_of_Magranon_%28spell%29

if horses go considerably faster for 15 minutes it would mean pvpers would have big difficulties to be able to catch mag priests on horses or escape them in open terrain. it kinda messes up pvp balance if a priest type gets free fantastic horse shoes.

About WoM:

I was told that this skill is turned off on freedom, but i will test it asap. However i dont see why i should do less damage only cuz people on pvp wanna have that. This spell should better be effective.

About FC:

pretty much same as on Wom

I'm going to quote this because even the official replies are full of incorrect information, and it's pretty much just a cesspit of assumptions and outright lack of knowledge.

The wiki doesn't contain full information, and should not be used in this discussion.

I'm personally getting tired of these discussions being made when everyone in the group is more or less in the dark about the full details of the subject - so the best first step would probably be for Rolf to clear up details on exactly what each priest gets as bonuses, give a run down on spell damages, and how they are affected by domain bonuses etc.

Lets, for once, be perfectly clear on what we're bitching about instead of the same old fight to have things buffed in your favour instead of having things balanced.

• Like 1

About WoM:

I was told that this skill is turned off on freedom, but i will test it asap. However i dont see why i should do less damage only cuz people on pvp wanna have that. This spell should better be effective.

About FC:

pretty much same as on Wom

A lot of people have suggested split codes for pve and pvp. But the devs doesnt want or lack the time/capabilities to do it.

How I look at it.. Mag has a permanent spell for everything it hits.

25% dmg bonus is huge.  (As long as you have 40 faith.. or whatever)

So every hit pretty much has an extra damage spell, no?  I'm not good at math.

They don't need a buff or a change, ###### fine.

Also again, coming from a Mag Champ on Epic.  Been a Mag priest for the longest time.  Love it.

The way it is.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

While I'm aware that Mol Rehan rely primarily on magranon priests, and can only have Magranon champions, I'd like to steer this away from kingdom vs kingdom arguments, Epic and Chaos Mol Rehan kingdoms play quite differently, and I would hope that these discussions aren't stemming from "I don't like x kingdom so I don't like any changes for them".

What I would like to see, is explanations of instances where perhaps Magranon priests felt lacking in an actual battle, and the outcome from it, examples of actual situations go a long way to helping us see differences within gameplay.

As has been stated by several players, there will always be strong tactics for one priest or another, the issue of imbalance lies within being able to tackle that situation and find a way to overcome it. For example, light of Fo is claimed as overpowered due to healing capabilities, but as it has been stated, it is limited to a small number of wounds healing. We would rather see players adapt to that and use multiple light wound dealing tactics when facting Light of Fo rather than the developers having to step in and make changes.

Just a reminder, there are currently no guaranteed changes to come from this, simply a discussion about the current state of Magranon priests vs other priests, if it's decided perhaps a larger scale look is necessary, then we will discuss how to approach that. All we wish to do here is see if there is the need for small changes.

thats the thing tho... we don't even rely on magranon priests.... magranon priests probably make up less then 10% of the kingdom

Mag priests make up 10% of your kingdom, ok.

but they make up more than 80% of your entire fighting force. 

• Like 1

I feel the need to express the point that aoe pillar spells should not be buffed damage wise.  All pillars were far too strong at one point, and the fight was 100% guaranteed determined by who kept control of the pillars especially when people would link and cast massive pillars.  At some point this got nerfed to pillars only doing 3 or 4 hits total, which is a very good change.  They are fighting aids, not true fight changers and should not be buffed

• Like 5

Received this email. I have edited out some of the stuff to keep the problem description:

"Basically, the main issue is that, many of the passives and unique parts of being Magranon have been either nerfed or been given to other priests.    The passives were the best thing about playing mag, that and the archery you had over Vynora or Fo. "

Libila has also lost its archery advantage over Vyn/Fo so Lib priests should get a passive buff if Mag needs a ranged attack spell.

• Like 1

What JK think we all want:

unicorn-vampire-nipples.jpg

Heh,  a little lighthearted humor here gents.... now where is that picture of the kitty with lasers shooting out of the eyes... I have a new mount suggestion...

Wait... we dont want this?

I feel the need to express the point that aoe pillar spells should not be buffed damage wise.  All pillars were far too strong at one point, and the fight was 100% guaranteed determined by who kept control of the pillars especially when people would link and cast massive pillars.  At some point this got nerfed to pillars only doing 3 or 4 hits total, which is a very good change.  They are fighting aids, not true fight changers and should not be buffed

I don't think so either Gary,  I remember the first time I was in a large raid, and we had a champ casting with several links.    Was quite the lightshow.    Lets focus on the issue at hand, and that is Firepillar is a decent counter to LoF, but it can be easily dispelled.  Fire Pillar isn't just a "fighting aid" it's part of playing as mag, and the AOE spell is a waste of favor if the entire thing can be dispelled by a cheap no-cooldown Dispel cast, that can often be cast from outside the AOE area in half the time.  Hell when you look at it, its not just a problem with Mag priests, but Lib and Vyn too.    

Edited by Battlepaw

I don't know why people keep talking about dispel, I've never seen dispel used on Epic, we just cast over their pillar

I don't know why people keep talking about dispel, I've never seen dispel used on Epic, we just cast over their pillar

ive personally never seen it used on chaos either outside of singular tile dispels, but if it works as OP describes might as well be a bug and im assuming it applies to the copy paste code for ice pillars and the like.

Edited by Propheteer

Just a bump, i just tested the dispelling center tile of a fire pillar.

It did not appear to dispel the whole pillar, just the individual tile, so i guess i was wrong to trust the person who sent this email.

[06:58:36] Emperorchong casts 'Fire Pillar'.

[06:58:49] Emperorchong burns you.

[06:58:53] Emperorchong burns you.

[06:58:54] Emperorchong burns you.

[06:58:59] You start to cast 'Dispel'.

[06:59:03] You succeed.

[06:59:04] Emperorchong burns you.

Edited by Propheteer

c3d6c6996f.jpg

Sooo, theres 1 dispel tile, and the remaining fire pillar around it, I am confused? Who wants to go down with supplying false information for an agenda in getting changes?

• Like 1

Lmao

Hopefully it does that for Vyn and Lib's AoE's too.

Edited by Madt

Lmao

Hopefully it does that for Vyn and Lib's AoE's too.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

I think Rolf should reply to this email and ask for some explanation.  :rolleyes: