Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Magranon priest rehaul

Mag doesn't need a rehaul.

25+ Bonus damage

Free res stones

Extra CR that comes with high faith

As for the suggestions I've read... let's see...

This Shield of Deflect... absolutely trash. SotG for 10 minutes? Idk who suggested this but it is possibly the worst idea on this thread.

Walking 10+km for one minute? Idk who suggested this one either (mind you I had to read 7 pages of complete selfish nonsense and tumor inducing logical fallacies). Running...hmmm...lets see 14KM/H in drake... + 10KM/H = 24KM/H (more if you're in scale). Are you half horse? Did we introduce centaurs to Wurm Online? (wait, centaurs are a good idea. Let me be a centaur. I'll email you about adding centaurs to the game, Rolf)

Well I think it was just a spell absorption, thing if your talking about the OP, meh who cares.    I would have likely been a pain to implement anyways.   

What people are tending to agree with are still a few main points:

1.  Fix the Firepillar  so the whole thing can't be dispelled, but perhaps let individual tiles get dispelled.   I'm not of a mind it needs a buff in damage or whatever, but would be nice if it scaled upwards better with a good cast.   

2.  Get rid of the casting penalty in armor for all priest types.   

3.  Do a tweak of frantic charge so you can use it while moving    

4.  That Smite needs a look.    The short range and long casting time mean it's useless as players get out of range before the cast is up.   Perhaps extending the range or let it be cast while moving would fix it.    

Edited by Battlepaw

Casting while moving seems like it might cause a domino effect where it becomes the new way to band aid patch any spell or even any action that is deemed overpowered, or it could just be mass applied where it doesn't belong. For the sake of argument, we'll assume the ridiculous archery and armor nerfs get removed completely and archery as a whole is where it was in July. Now imagine someone has the bright idea to allow archery while moving. This sort of "domino effect" is already noticeable in this thread, albeit at a slow pace. Overall, standing still while casting is a necessary part of the balance, especially with the current state of shield bashing.

not only should there be a casting penalty (imo backfire) casting when not in rags (eg even scale should be giving penalty)

but

I also recommend anytime casting is done in combat the caster experiences the equivalent to "you make a bad move and open yourself up for attack"

reinstate good shield bash.

get these priests off the toe to toe frontline and back into the support ranks where the archers should also be.

let the fighter class rise!

• Like 1

Casting while moving seems like it might cause a domino effect where it becomes the new way to band aid patch any spell or even any action that is deemed overpowered, or it could just be mass applied where it doesn't belong. For the sake of argument, we'll assume the ridiculous archery and armor nerfs get removed completely and archery as a whole is where it was in July. Now imagine someone has the bright idea to allow archery while moving. This sort of "domino effect" is already noticeable in this thread, albeit at a slow pace. Overall, standing still while casting is a necessary part of the balance, especially with the current state of shield bashing

It's not a "badaid" patch for every spell, its to actually fix only a couple of spells that are rendered useless by the reality of PvP.     I don't mind smite, but the problem is it's range and cast timer,  you can move out of the range of smite when you see someone cast it and it's so long it's impractical.   Being able to cast it while moving will actually make it useful.    That's not to mean there are other ways to fix it.  You could extend the range, reduce the cast timer or any number of other things to give it parity.     

I've also used Frantic Charge, and when I cast it by the time the lag caught up to me and I realized it went off, I was too slow to get anywhere effective to use it.    If the timer was extended or if I could cast it while charging at the enemy, it would make more sense.  Its another reason why no one uses it.   

I don't see how standing still is equated as spell balance, when you got two useless spells that are rendered useless in part by standing still.  It doesn't reflect the reality of the situations you would use them in.   I can see fire pillar, that's fine for standing still, because it's an AOE, that makes sense.  There is not "domino" effect.  There is only fixing what is broken, or what is impractical.    

I can't wait until the kingdom with the most mag priests moves 10km/h faster than everyone, and not only hits for 60-70 damage, they can also do 30 damage smites constantly.

I'm excited, sounds balanced to me.

As a serious, non sarcastic answer.

Those two spells need a looking at, but not the way the people that would benefit most from it look at it. Developer help should not be a solution for lack of creative player solutions in the interim of the development of a longer, and well thought out balance process.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

mmmm drivebys in sailboats and blowing people up is gonna be fun, I can't wait :)

mmmm drivebys in sailboats and blowing people up is gonna be fun, I can't wait :)

I would go BL, but you would probably send an email to rolf asking about a Libila priest rehaul after you guys lose a 5v26.

I can only pray that Rolf doesn't superbuff Mag and encourages splitting up between all three gods, rather than giving one god all of the utility, passives, and PvP ability to make up for lack of player skill and creativity.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

I would go BL, but you would probably send an email to rolf asking about a Libila priest rehaul after you guys lose a 5v26.

Although strangely enough bl is getting hammered by MR atm. Maybe bl needs a buff. Can't have anything to do with skill or numbers. Huehuehue

I can't wait until the kingdom with the most mag priests moves 10km/h faster than everyone, and not only hits for 60-70 damage, they can also do 30 damage smites constantly.

I'm excited, sounds balanced to me.

As a serious, non sarcastic answer.

Those two spells need a looking at, but not the way the people that would benefit most from it look at it. Developer help should not be a solution for lack of creative player solutions in the interim of the development of a longer, and well thought out balance process.

I don't mind that,  I don't think we need a speed bonus though, or be able to cast smite constantly.   Its just not that smite nor Frantic Charge are that useful in practical situations, and it's quite evident when you see how the PvP community actually uses them.    

Edited by Battlepaw

1.  Fix the Firepillar  so the whole thing can't be dispelled, but perhaps let individual tiles get dispelled.   I'm not of a mind it needs a buff in damage or whatever, but would be nice if it scaled upwards better with a good cast.   

2.  Get rid of the casting penalty in armor for all priest types.   

3.  Do a tweak of frantic charge so you can use it while moving    

4.  That Smite needs a look.    The short range and long casting time mean it's useless as players get out of range before the cast is up.   Perhaps extending the range or let it be cast while moving would fix it.    

1. Fix this for all AoE spells for all gods. Doing it to just Magranon's fire pillar would be weird and out of place. Keep everything even and apply it to all.

2. And archery, for everyone.

3. I don't know how it works atm, but just make sure to never make the spell overpowered like farwalker amulet speed or anything.

4. If smite still does like 87dmg wounds then that needs changing first. Nobody should be doing that kinda damage with a spell in 10 seconds or anything.

Can I just make a note directly to the devs here, I hope they see this,

Developers:

Some of the people in this thread who are pushing for buffs to Magranon are in a kingdom with nothing but Magranon priests. They're too foolish and lazy to think that maybe if they had a mixture of different priests they'd do better. What they want is the game to be changed to suit the way they're playing, not change the way they're playing to get different results like everyone else.

Please see through this and don't over-buff Magranon into overpowered-ness.

• Like 2

I like how this guy thinks 4 mag priests and 3 mag champs is the entire MR kingdom lol....

How can a kingdom that is dominating the map be constantly complaining that they get unfair treatment is beyond my understanding. What is inside my region of understanding though, is that some people are professional asslickers. But explain to me something. We do have a suggestions board don't we ? Why do some people have to speak directly to Rolf about those things ?

I wasn't aware of anyone complaining about unfair treatment. Must be some other group of players.

Developers:

Some of the people in this thread who are pushing for buffs to Magranon are in a kingdom with nothing but Magranon priests. They're too foolish and lazy to think that maybe if they had a mixture of different priests they'd do better. What they want is the game to be changed to suit the way they're playing, not change the way they're playing to get different results like everyone else.

Please see through this and don't over-buff Magranon into overpowered-ness.

Take your kingdom bias crap out of here,  I don't think myself, that plays as MR wants it overbuffed, and many other people from MR don't want that either.     Get off your moral high horse, just because MR are also suggesting in this thread from their own experiences what could be changed doesn't give you the right to say the only reason they are doing it is because they are MR, many of them play as Mag priests and have actual experience with the issues, so it makes sense they want to comment.   

I like how this guy thinks 4 mag priests and 3 mag champs is the entire MR kingdom lol....

Yep, the only reason I went Mag, was that I eventually want to champ someday.   That's what kind of choices players make when mag is the only thing they can champ up as.  Honestly many of our fighters are Mag, but not all of us, and trying to say we don't have Fo priests, when we have had a series of Fo priest, and still have quite a few is a bit silly honestly.    JK focuses on Fo priests, we focus on mag, because that is our dang template, and we've made it work. 

Edited by Battlepaw

I myself was just agreeing with retrograde that some slight buffs wouldn't be a "bad thing"

I myself was just agreeing with retrograde that some slight buffs wouldn't be a "bad thing"

Most of the stuff I think could be changed about Mag isn't buffs, but fixes to what mag already has, and bridges across a  few gaps that are quite glaring.    

What JK think we all want:

unicorn-vampire-nipples.jpg

Heh,  a little lighthearted humor here gents.... now where is that picture of the kitty with lasers shooting out of the eyes... I have a new mount suggestion...

Edited by Battlepaw

What JK think we all want:

Battlepaw if you think there is a big outcry for mag buffs among the general population, then think again.

edit: and considering there have been suggestions proposed asking for farwalker, shield of the gone, unhindered movement in armour, no penalties from armour and short-cast smites as mag abilities... I'd say the picture is pretty darn accurate.

You guys arent just trying to push for small buffs like 25% more firepillar dmg etc, you guys are asking for new extreme bonuses aswell.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

Battlepaw if you think there is a big outcry for mag buffs among the general population, then think again.

edit: and considering there have been suggestions proposed asking for farwalker, shield of the gone, unhindered movement in armour, no penalties from armour and short-cast smites as mag abilities... I'd say the picture is pretty darn accurate.

You guys arent just trying to push for small buffs like 25% more firepillar dmg etc, you guys are asking for new extreme bonuses aswell.

If you want to pay, the twist the word on the donkey game I could point out there is nothing in that statment about buffs.  Just nipple lasers.

There is no "you guys" I have no idea why your fixating on all that other crap, since most of the changes that I've seen yourself and others even in JK agree to are a couple of the main points of the OP, which is dispel that has no cooldown destroying a firepillar with a 1 min cool down and 4 times the favor, among other things.    The reworking doesn't necessarily have to mean superbuffing up Mag, which isn't the solution anyways.  It's taking what mag already has and smoothing out the kinks.   I pull up the picture to illustrate how you and others are painting the whole issue, which is silly, because no one wants a superbuffed mag.  I certainly wouldn't want to fight JK with Mags that have nipple lasers, I have enough trouble with hellhorses with oakshell.   

Edited by Battlepaw

While I'm aware that Mol Rehan rely primarily on magranon priests, and can only have Magranon champions, I'd like to steer this away from kingdom vs kingdom arguments, Epic and Chaos Mol Rehan kingdoms play quite differently, and I would hope that these discussions aren't stemming from "I don't like x kingdom so I don't like any changes for them".

What I would like to see, is explanations of instances where perhaps Magranon priests felt lacking in an actual battle, and the outcome from it, examples of actual situations go a long way to helping us see differences within gameplay.

As has been stated by several players, there will always be strong tactics for one priest or another, the issue of imbalance lies within being able to tackle that situation and find a way to overcome it. For example, light of Fo is claimed as overpowered due to healing capabilities, but as it has been stated, it is limited to a small number of wounds healing. We would rather see players adapt to that and use multiple light wound dealing tactics when facting Light of Fo rather than the developers having to step in and make changes.

Just a reminder, there are currently no guaranteed changes to come from this, simply a discussion about the current state of Magranon priests vs other priests, if it's decided perhaps a larger scale look is necessary, then we will discuss how to approach that. All we wish to do here is see if there is the need for small changes.

• Like 6

sounds like good use of developers time running scenarios on the test server

I'm sure a lot could be learned from recruiting some of the players to fight series of battles on test monthly

that way devs can show the creators intention as well as get good logs

and players can give feedback on that specific battle

it would be nice for example to understand what group sizes the devs expect to be at a battle.  do the devs want such a thing as 1v1?  do they think there should be 2 person buddy teams exploring?  are 5 person teams expected for roaming / patrol parties, etc.

other things too, how long should it take to catapult into a building with 9 floors of unfinished walls.

WE don't know if it's a bug unless we know what was indended