Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Mining/Lowering rock and clay under water

I am sure this has been requested before, just want to re-request this to allow better terraforming:

1. Rock under water for canals (or deep harbours, nice fishing spots...):  Please create some way in which we can make the rock level lower so we can make channels deeper. .. perhaps some tool or device we can use like a dredge, but it would "surface mine" exposed rock layers under water?  As things currently stand, we cannot sail through shallow canals, so ships other than rowboats, sailboats and knarrs are excluded from using these canals.  It makes a lot of  Wurm inaccessible and make sailing times, which are already LONG, much longer for those ships.

2.  Clay: Lots of the clay deposits on Wurm are at shorelines and under water.  Once the clay has been raised (which is super easy by just dumping dirts on the clay), it can never be lowered again to a level where deeper ships can sail over.  You can get it to a point where rowboats, sailboats and knarrs can pass (with over 70 digging, mind you), but it basically becomes an underwater bank of entrapment for any deeper ships.  It seems silly to me to make it so easy to raise clay by dumping dirt on it (which noobs do when they run from mobs), yet it is so difficult to even lower to just below water level, and on top of that it is impossible to lower it enough for deep ships to pass over it.  Could we make a tool that could be used like a dredge, perhaps by people with over 70 digging, to lower clay like we can lower dirt with a dredge?

Thanks.

• Like 15

-1 to dredging hard rock...and I think you can lower clat with high enough skill.

-1 to dredging hard rock...and I think you can lower clat with high enough skill.

You can lower clay but not deep enough.  You can only lower it to a point where rowboats, sailboats and knarrs can pass.  No tool or skill to lower it below that ever.  

• Like 3

Seems silly to me that we already don't have this option. Boats are a hugh part of this game and to restrict them like this makes no sense.

Soon we will have bridges,  which the devs have spent massive amounts of time and resources on, some you will even be able to sail under, but wait no

you cant because the rock layer is to high or there's a clay bed there.

Illogical problem with a simple solution.

• Like 4

yep, we just need to be able to lower it 15 more dirt than we could with a shovel as the other boats need 20 dirt to be passable, im sure 21 would be better

+1

and definitely when bridges come out

• Like 2

+1 - These suggestions implemented would improve the game enormously - surprised these are not in place already. 

Clay is a nightmare for so many players and one friend spent over 6 hours pushing his boat along a canal - so tedious...

• Like 2

Said it before... big steel spike, few big lumps of lead, lots of rope.. underwater rock dredge.

• Like 1

A Sculpting Wand is what you're looking for ;) Given it is not the best solution.

Already pay to play and pay to stay in my house, so I agree it's not a good solution. Never did agree with over powered solutions via cash shops in paid to play premium games.

EDIT: Changed OP to over powered.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

Percussion drilling was/is possibly the oldest form of drilling wells and the like, ignoring hand tools such as picks and shovels. Its a technique that works easily below water, since afterall when one drills a well you want it to be well below the water table.

Such a device and rig could be used on larger ships, or even its own dedicated raft/ship/platform.

• Like 5

+1 for something so long overdue. Even if there wasn't historically accurate methods that this was done (Which there are), wurm is a fantasy game where some of the rules are bent to work. Not being able to lower stone (and clay) to at least the depth to allow any boats through creates an arbitrary barrier on where deep water canals can lead in an otherwise fully customizable sandbox world. 

• Like 1

Bump, please devs, give us some tools to lower clay and underwater rock.  

• Like 2

+1 for proper canal projects. Having two tile rock tunnels next to each other would be great also. Wide access canals.

If trade and economy is a sought quality in this game and the devs are going to release massive maps, make boat travel viable. No one trades on Xanadu as it is.. would be much better if we could make proper canals.

• Like 2

Bump, please look into this devs.  Would open up the Wurm world. Thanks.

• Like 1

There are ways to lower rock under water to accommodate larger ships, I'm not 100% sure how its done, i know it involves opening a mine entrance and using a mag to collapse as we did it for the release canal, but i wasn't paying attention to the mechanics of it, i left that part to the people who knew what they were doing, and just collapsed the mine entrances :P 

Im sure someone can actually say how its done here who knows how :) 

There are ways to lower rock under water to accommodate larger ships, I'm not 100% sure how its done, i know it involves opening a mine entrance and using a mag to collapse as we did it for the release canal, but i wasn't paying attention to the mechanics of it, i left that part to the people who knew what they were doing, and just collapsed the mine entrances :P

The method you said is correct. Since surface mining doesn't always work per action, Its much easier to just dig 1 corner down, open a mine and then collapse it. Since instead of digging down each corner 1 by 1, its much easier to just dig 1 corner, open a mine and let the mine entrance mechanics bring down the other corner(creating a level mine entrance) and then collapse it and then just open another mine next to the one you collapsed. Works well imo

• Like 2

I know of a clay bank in front of a harbour.  This clay bank almost encloses the whole harbour, which is a huge feat to accomplish, yet a relative a noob made this without any real skills needed, all he had to do was drop dirt.  He dropped dirt to raise the clay in a continuous bank as he wanted to use it as a road to "get to spawn really quickly".  This may be a facepalm moment for everyone with common sense, yet we did speak to him and I can assure you, he was just being a noob and not thinking about anyone else or the long term consequences of dropping dirt onto clay.  It seems very few newer people know that once clay has been raised, you are basically stuck with it for the rest of Wurm's existence, and you can only ever dig it down to a level below water which still makes it impossible for deep haul ships to pass over it.  To top it off he stopped playing about 18 months ago, after only playing a few months...yet the rest of the wurm players are still stuck with his handiwork more than a year later.

The noob who created this clay bank was seen and stopped with only a very small strip of the waterfront remaining without the clay bank blocking it.  Yet none of the highly experienced players can lower this monstrosity deep enough for a deep ship like cog or caravel to pass through.  This continuous clay bank, which is ugly and irreversible, now sits there in semi permanent state. How can any change to a sandbox environment, be there forever?  No highly experienced player can lower this clay back to deep enough in the water to restore the harbour to a functional area now, despite having over 70 and over 90 digging...we could of course spend days lowering it to deep enough for sailboats, rowboats and knarrs to pass over, but what about the other ships we wanted to enter and leave the docks?  If we leave the clay banks so people can easily see it and not get bogged by some hidden clay bank under water, the deed owner is stuck with this clay bank spoiling his view and ruining his harbour.  If we lower it to seven below water level, other people won't see it and large ships will get bogged in it all the time. 

This is a sandbox game, we should be able to change anything and terraform anything.  Allow players with over 70 digging, who will be experienced enough NOT to just randomly lower community clay tiles any way, to lower clay to the same levels we can dig out dirt under water.  The argument that this will see a heap of public clay tiles being lowered, is stupid, as there are heaps of things experienced players can do, but don't.  I believe this is something which has been needed a long time ago, and will make deeds with heaps of clay down by their waterfronts so much easier to make user and ship friendly.

Some other suggestions would be the ability to change clay to sand or vice versa, perhaps with priest spells with cooldowns, (like with lava tiles, but all priests could perhaps have this special clay tile/sand tile  change ability), or some very special tools and processes, or high skills like potions or natural substances.   I guess tar could also be included in this request.

So +1 for allowing some tool or process to dig clay down below water to the same depth as we can dig dirt at the moment.  It is a sandbox game, it would be great to see raised clay not be semi irreversible.  

And special request to look into changing clay to sand or sand to clay via some special spells or potions or skills.

• Like 3

It's done by using the "two lowest point gets leveled out when opening a mine door" mechanic. In essence, you mine one corner down to your liking, open a mine door to level out the tile borders, strongwall, then repeat. It saves you from a lot of surface mining work.

As for the thread, +1. The mining/digging/leveling/flatraising limitations in this game are weaksauce. Not being able to level (up) tar, clay and steppe is stupid. Not being able to dig tar and clay down is also stupid. Surface mining is waaaaay too time consuming when compared to the digging, which both kinds of actions equally alter the game world. The fact that our cave ceiling heights have a hard cap is also ridiculous... can't even turn an unwanted dropshaft into a multi-tiled ramp because, eventually (at around 200-250 slope's worth of height), the game will prevent you from mining down the floor tile any further.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Bump. We need a way to lower these things further than is currently possible. Right now you can only surface mine to, what, 14 or 15 below water level and clay can't even be lowered below water.

I don't want to even think about the sculpting wand, either. I had one before and it was just too expensive to use, especially when it feels like you're taking cash out of your pocket and burning it each time you lower a slope.

+1