Sign in to follow this  
Neoexplorer

Major internet connection problem

Something is seriously wrong with my internet. it's been very bad the last few years, so today I got a new router and hooked it up - now my internet is nearly NONEXISTENT.

At this point I know something is wrong. My cellphone gets 25+MB/s, and my computer gets 80KB/s. I have no idea what do do for problems like this, anyone know what I can do?

Edited by Neoexplorer
  • Like 1

There have been a lot of problems routing though the Northeast US for me, through Boston in particular. It might have to do with all the lousy weather they are having, but not sure. The whole internet has been lousy for me most of the past week.

Are there any differences between desktop internet and android phone internet? I have a strong suspicion that if I just solve a simple problem I would have internet on my main computer.

Are there any differences between desktop internet and android phone internet? I have a strong suspicion that if I just solve a simple problem I would have internet on my main computer.

If the android is using wifi through the same router, I wouldn't think so. But if you are using cellular data, very likely. Have you checked your wire (unless wireless) for a kink or bend that may have broken a filament? Your ISP may need to come reseat the connection on the outside of the house/apartment also. They replaced the gray box on my house this past summer and things improved immensely but they were never severely broken, only trouble when it rained.

I switched to wireless, and it improved a small amount, not enough to fill the gap between phone and computer. I will look into the other solutions.

lamp, speakers, headphones on my desk, and some others that aren't turned on. Would it be interfering with the signal?

lamp, speakers, headphones on my desk, and some others that aren't turned on. Would it be interfering with the signal?

Not sure. My cell phone doesn't work well near my monitor. It also goes bonkers under my ceiling fan. I'm just trying to think of things you can rule out. If it's shielded, it shouldn't interfere. There are some crazy electromagnetic things in this world. 

Is your network card as good as your internet connection?