Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

How much lag is ok?

I'm on Xanadu and playing from the USA.  The lag is increasingly worse.  I'm now waiting for 3 seconds after last action completes, for the stam bar to start recovering.  Ping times to Sweden are a fraction of that time.  The servers or the hosting company are horrible.  I may be putting 20 alts up for sale soon, as I am losing faith in Code Club.

• Like 1

im on xanadu and from usa, get the backup lag and sometimes a random lag spike but nothing like you describe.  Not sure where you are in the US but think about how much equipment that connection goes through.  Could be a prob with any piece at any point or the lag could be due to your equip/network/malware.

I've recently given up on Xanadu, the lag is just to consistently bad for me to play on it properly. No problems at all on the other servers.

It's random but yeah, get the odd 3-20 second lag spikes here too.. Hetzner need to get their act together.

Not gonna blame CC over this one directly, but I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that if the situation persists for too long, that blame is slowly gonna be shared by Hetzner (for sucking) and CC (for not ditching Hetzner).

Anyhoo, good luck to CC sorting it, I do recommend Holland ;-P

Hetzner has had a lot of problems, especially with connections from the US. We often have lag spikes here with no packet loss on our end.

As to how much is okay? Well, if your ping to the Hetzner servers is significantly higher than your ping to other servers in the same area, then there is a problem with Hetzner.

There will always be a lag problem as long as the servers are all hosted in one location, not region-locked, and players from across the globe are connected to them. However, that problem can't be fixed without a sufficient number of paid subscriptions to justify expansion and that comes with its own problems, namely players being prevented from playing with friends or being at a severe ping disadvantage for being "out of region". Lag compensation opens a whole new can of worms. Basically, nothing in this paragraph will or should ever happen for Wurm Online, but I mentioned it because it is done for other games, especially those with a much faster pace. However, a lot of those games also give out the source code and server codes, allowing people to mod the game and host their own servers, which Wurm also does not do (and should/will not).

Edited by SotG_is_OP

im also on xanadu and in the US. Lag is pretty bad today, but I have also heard that other servers are fine, which says to me its probably just the server itself. We have a lot more mobs up here than we used to, its starting to look like they really turned up the spawn rates. So maybe thats the issue. The biggest lag was while I had spawns coming up everywhere around me and in the surrounding areas.

heh wolf spawned on top of me while I was writing this, lol.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

im also on xanadu and in the US. Lag is pretty bad today, but I have also heard that other servers are fine, which says to me its probably just the server itself. We have a lot more mobs up here than we used to, its starting to look like they really turned up the spawn rates. So maybe thats the issue. The biggest lag was while I had spawns coming up everywhere around me and in the surrounding areas.

heh wolf spawned on top of me while I was writing this, lol.

I wonder if we need to have nightly down times to improve server performance for xanadu.  Do people notice it getting worse as its up time continues?  I only notice what I have been told is the back up save lag spike.  The sheer lack of hostile animals is frustrating.  As an armor smith, armor sales are way down due to the fact, NO ONE IS AFRAID OF DYING.  I mean you can just walk forever with out a spider chasing you, let alone I can't remember the last time I saw a spider..  

How much lag is ok? None. Xanadu is pretty bad recently though. Seems a few seconds before the stamina refresh even kicks in. So a lot of waiting between actions. I play on Deliverance and Pristine as well, so the difference in stamina refresh is very noticeable on Xanadu. Now the past few days everything can freeze up occasionally for even longer.

=Ayes=

Lag is never okay.

Somewhat tolerable when it occurs once or twice daily, such as backups or whatever.

In other games, when a debilitating situation like this starts happening, it becomes a critical priority to solve.  Code Club seems to think it is no big deal.  I mean, if the players aren't leaving, it must be ok, right?  Oh wait... they are leaving.

In other games, when a debilitating situation like this starts happening, it becomes a critical priority to solve.  Code Club seems to think it is no big deal.  I mean, if the players aren't leaving, it must be ok, right?  Oh wait... they are leaving.

Just like how people left after:

> Sparta raid and subsequent staff intervention in PvP

> Raid on Nathan's Deed and subsequent fallacious statement about land of the dead

> Proliferation of shield of the gone/priests/spell spam/other imbalanced and broken mechanics in PvP

> Refusal to properly balance the above because it would make some people unhappy

> Preference of rhetoric over action

> Numerous unwarranted and unwanted PvP patches

> Numerous unwarranted and unwanted PvE patches

> Refusal to revert unpopular changes

> Realizing that PvP has taken the back burner

> Realizing that this game is made for and by someone who doesn't even play it

> Controversies like Player Auctions (and subsequent backlash to the outcry)

> Realizing that bias does happen

> 60% price increase (with decrease in service quality)

> Realizing that there are better time/money sinks out there

> Realizing that Green Peace won't save us (the "whales")

Oh I believe that the Dev's think that this is a very big deal. The problem more being that it is a very difficult issue to resolve, as evidenced by the fact that it keeps arising. Seems to be more fine tuning of the performance on Xanadu, since on the other servers it is now much less of a problem than in the past. Remember after the opening of Pristine, much the samie, samie there as well.

=Ayes=

Lag is never okay.

Somewhat tolerable when it occurs once or twice daily, such as backups or whatever.

+1

Oh I believe that the Dev's think that this is a very big deal. The problem more being that it is a very difficult issue to resolve, as evidenced by the fact that it keeps arising. Seems to be more fine tuning of the performance on Xanadu, since on the other servers it is now much less of a problem than in the past. Remember after the opening of Pristine, much the samie, samie there as well.

=Ayes=

every day between 6:23am and 11:44am connections out of nz and au to deli start to lag like mental to the point where clients drop out every 3-4 minutes and actions take a minute to start trust me its bad everywhere

I feel sorry for you USA guys.

EU here. Some lag. But nothing bad. 

Occasional time where I need to relog. But other than that. 

Hope they do something about it though. I'm in a US Settlement. Hate to see people lag.

Seldom have lag.  Connecting from Canada.  Not counting the "travel lag"  but that has more to do with Java having crappy garbage clean up.

every day between 6:23am and 11:44am connections out of nz and au to deli start to lag like mental to the point where clients drop out every 3-4 minutes and actions take a minute to start trust me its bad everywhere

Not noticed this sailing through Deli to slayings and stuff, but I'm also not there very often.

I live in the Netherlands. After every startup the game feels fine and have no lag at all. but after a little while I got some serious lag spikes for a few minutes or longer.

I need to relog to play along , wich is very frustrating by now.

If this only on the Xan Server then the Defs should do something about because this is no fun anymore.

Sometimes I got little lag (2 sec) aswell but thats because of the backing up of the server.

SO do something about it first instead of all the updates. Make this server stable and then add more items/things on it.

Any orther have this issue to? or know a way to stop these spikes?

Xanadu is too big and has too many players to run smoothly.