Sign in to follow this  
Uberknot

Why are there no Hota type Statues for PvE events?

I just want to know really why there is no version of these types of rewards for the PvE side of the game?

It's a courtesy from the designers of Wurm. You can likely tell players who just aren't interested in PvP (whether because they dislike harming other players for personal gain, feel they have inadequate skills/levels or actually aren't interested in risk) would still like to have those statues as a decoration. By making things like HOTA statues, challenge mode rewards and even drops from uniques freely exchangeable, players who can't (or won't) participate in these events aren't completely denied access to these items.

why didnt they make them to PvE through crafting?

The way I see it, HOTA statues are (nigh literally) trophies for the winners of PvP events. It makes plenty of sense similar "trophies" could be crafted through a recipe demanding enough to warrant a trophy. However, the only reason HOTA statues were added was to encourage people to try PvP content. There's a running fear that interest in PvP is dying. HOTA statues were added under the apparent assumption that PvP was lacking incentive, while the Challenge cluster seems to entertain the idea that people don't like risk (though, if you ask me, maybe there needs to be a little PR between the PvP and PvE playerbases?).

One last thing- there's a certain fraction of the PvP community that's been driving me (and, from what I've heard, players on both the PvE AND PvP ends of the community) positively insane. Every time someone suggests content currently only available as a PvP reward be made available on PvE servers as well, someone inevitably shows up and either insists the content doesn't make sense in a PvE context with the condescending implication that the poster (or, often enough, the the PvE community in full) just wants it because it "looks cool" or spouts out that "risk = reward" mantra with a snobby tone. The reality is, HOTA statues are exclusively available from PvP content ONLY to encourage players to try PvP; to bridge the PvE and PvP ends of the playerbase. By looking down on PvE'ers and boasting about the rewards available to you (seemingly thinking it's because you're "special snowflakes"), you're working against this.

I suppose we could always split the code and nuke the server border.  Make PVP a completely separate world from PVE.  Offer everyone a one time portal ticket to either go to chaos or leave chaos.

I think that is the only answer that will work Uberknot.

No more PVE alts with 100+ affinities...

You used to have to pay 10s to cross between freedom and chaos. No items would cross. It was godawful for people like myself who occasionally PvP but play on freedom for the majority of time.

Doing that again however would solve the "moneysink" issue that is being proposed; it simply means freedom can not have these statues anymore at all. I don't know if that would be worse or better though...

Edited by Alyeska

I suppose we could always split the code and nuke the server border.  Make PVP a completely separate world from PVE.  Offer everyone a one time portal ticket to either go to chaos or leave chaos.

I think that is the only answer that will work Uberknot.

No more PVE alts with 100+ affinities...

I would like to point out aswell to you Uberknot that the vast majority of people that play on Chaos, do not only play there. Most people have deeds on one or many of the other servers in the freedom cluster and often spend plenty of time going between the two. 85% of the players that we recruit into MR for instance are players from Freedom who either come to play on alts or their mains (only a small fraction ever give up entirely playing on freedom.) 13% would be from completely new players who started on Chaos and the remaining 2% are inter kingdom converts. You cannot claim that there is some crazy segregation between Chaos and the rest of the freedom cluster, it's all linked in with each other. 

Probably a bad idea since it would hurt both player bases. 

I do however enjoy the fact that Uberknot simply decided to ignore my posts and their fairly straight forward logic in regards to what constitutes risk and reward for that risk. 

you know uber id love to have a statue as well and just like you i refuse to pay 10s-20s-50s-1g for one but you know what im going to do once i got time and the skills to do it? go to chaos and join in on those hota hunts to get a statue or 2 for my place

just like i spend several dozen hours mining away to be able to mine ql 90 ore or smith away to make ql 90 tools im going to spend time to get my skills up get a set of extra gear and go to chaos and join in on a hunt or 2

isnt that what wurm is about? spending time to achieve goals not spending real life money to gain bits of data that we can use to trade for other bits of data(ingame money for ingame items)?
atleast thats what i think wurm is anyway spending time making things

• Like 2

One last thing- there's a certain fraction of the PvP community that's been driving me (and, from what I've heard, players on both the PvE AND PvP ends of the community) positively insane. Every time someone suggests content currently only available as a PvP reward be made available on PvE servers as well, someone inevitably shows up and either insists the content doesn't make sense in a PvE context with the condescending implication that the poster (or, often enough, the the PvE community in full) just wants it because it "looks cool" or spouts out that "risk = reward" mantra with a snobby tone. The reality is, HOTA statues are exclusively available from PvP content ONLY to encourage players to try PvP; to bridge the PvE and PvP ends of the playerbase. By looking down on PvE'ers and boasting about the rewards available to you (seemingly thinking it's because you're "special snowflakes"), you're working against this.

The only thing we are working against when we argue with entitled freedom players over this stuff is their greed.   It its not even hard to argue the case, because the short-sighted and oppertunistic attempts are not too hard to see through. We use the tools we are given to us, to play on Chaos and part of that is the HOTA, which also happens to drop statues you don't want to earn yourself.    

It's that simple, there is no grand conspiracy to deny what is rightfully supposed to also be on Freedom because freedom players have no right to the mechanics.  They choose to play on a non PvP server, that is a choice they make.  

Now most of you are good chaps, and I've been to many community events since Chaos opened up and have learned to like and respect many freedom players, and I respect the fact that many of you want to play on freedom.    What causes the problems is that players, and very few as I've seen don't respect our choices to form our own communities and do what we want with the resources we are given on Chaos, with the HOTA we share the resources and proceeds from HOTA sales within our kingdom, and it just bothers you that we profit from playing on a server while you have to pay PvPers for what you think should be yours by right.    

It's disgusting behavior, and it's damaging the PvP and PvE communities when players act like that.  It's irrational mob appeal, and in some extreme cases, it goes to the level of bigotry where it's always PvP vs PvE or whatever.  Just play the dang game, and save up for the statues, they are not expensive, and you aren't handing silver over to an often prostrate development team, you are helping players out who are investing a lot of time and effort to provide you with those statues.      

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 2

A reward with no risk is no reward at all.

It's just one of those unchallengeable laws of the universe.

Edited by BrandonSF
  • Like 1

Missions are fairly useless

Mission reward: glowy statues.

give them another name, problem solved.

PvPers are going to defend hota reward scarcity to death, it's what funds Kyara.

HotA is a joke, you wander around for ~20mins and get a prize. If you bring more than 3 people, you'll outnumber any opposing "force".

Meanwhile, missions have you sac hundreds of items for... a handful of sleep bonus.

lol

• Like 1

Here's a challenge for PvP'ers:

Try to keep things from improving on PvE WITHOUT using the word "entitled".  Using that word too often is being exactly that =)

Missions are fairly useless

Mission reward: glowy statues.

give them another name, problem solved.

PvPers are going to defend hota reward scarcity to death, it's what funds Kyara.

HotA is a joke, you wander around for ~20mins and get a prize. If you bring more than 3 people, you'll outnumber any opposing "force".

Meanwhile, missions have you sac hundreds of items for... a handful of sleep bonus.

lol

Outdate info mate ;)

The only thing we are working against when we argue with entitled freedom players over this stuff is their greed.   It its not even hard to argue the case, because the short-sighted and oppertunistic attempts are not too hard to see through. We use the tools we are given to us, to play on Chaos and part of that is the HOTA, which also happens to drop statues you don't want to earn yourself.

First off, let's step away from words like "we" and "you". Don't presume to speak for the PvP community, and don't address anyone until you've read their post in full (if you had read mine, you might've picked up that I'm not enthusiastic about getting HOTA statues for myself).

It's that simple, there is no grand conspiracy to deny what is rightfully supposed to also be on Freedom because freedom players have no right to the mechanics.  They choose to play on a non PvP server, that is a choice they make.

Again, read my post in full. I never suggested there was some sort of "conspiracy" behind HOTA statues. In fact, I explained why I believed they were PvP-exclusive in hopes of convincing the topic poster otherwise. I honestly feel there's nothing wrong with the system.

Now most of you are good chaps, and I've been to many community events since Chaos opened up and have learned to like and respect many freedom players, and I respect the fact that many of you want to play on freedom.    What causes the problems is that players, and very few as I've seen don't respect our choices to form our own communities and do what we want with the resources we are given on Chaos, with the HOTA we share the resources and proceeds from HOTA sales within our kingdom, and it just bothers you that we profit from playing on a server while you have to pay PvPers for what you think should be yours by right.

Again, you're probably better off not using words like "we" and "you". Do that too hastily- and it honestly looks like you just saw the last paragraph in my post and instantly started typing out this rant- and you're going to wind up making wrongful accusations.

It's disgusting behavior, and it's damaging the PvP and PvE communities when players act like that.  It's irrational mob appeal, and in some extreme cases, it goes to the level of bigotry where it's always PvP vs PvE or whatever.  Just play the dang game, and save up for the statues, they are not expensive, and you aren't handing silver over to an often prostrate development team, you are helping players out who are investing a lot of time and effort to provide you with those statues.

Let me tell you what's damaging the game's community- headstrong, loudmouth individuals like you who charge into topics like this, guns blazing and presumptuously pass themselves off as the voice of the PvP community, reinforcing the negative image PvE'ers have of PvP and perpetuating the dwindling interest in PvP content.

Edited by Zorrent

Here's a thought lets move moon metal or glimmer steel to PvE servers only?  how would that work?

All Devs know PvE will want decorative content..........which is why I am suspect about these statues and the fact they are exclusive to only the PvP server which usually could give a rats arse about shineys in most games compared to the PvE crowd.....Maybe if they Made something only available to the PvE servers the PvP crowd needed or wanted then I could say there was comparable content both ways.

Anyhow its time for some neat rewards through events and quests for the PvE servers comparable to the Hota statues.

Edited by Uberknot

oh why not pve hota zone on xanadu :D   double size area, half size hota size statues...    like wooden statues :D   everyone happy :D

oh why not pve hota zone on xanadu :D   double size area, half size hota size statues...    like wooden statues :D   everyone happy :D

......no thanks......unique rewards real size would be better.....half size wooden....pffftt.c :angry:

Edited by Uberknot

Here's a thought lets move moon metal or glimmer steel to PvE servers only?  how would that work?

All Devs know PvE will want decorative content..........which is why I am suspect about these statues and the fact they are exclusive to only the PvP server which usually could give a rats arse about shineys in most games compared to the PvE crowd.....Maybe if they Made something only available to the PvE servers the PvP crowd needed or wanted then I could say there was comparable content both ways.

Anyhow its time for some neat rewards through events and quests for the PvE servers comparable to the Hota statues.

Im not sure how that would work, you are the one who suggested it.

A second off your swingtimer wouldn't really help in PVE anyway, nor will that extra bit of damage.

Once i hit 70/70/70 i can solo pretty much everything in the game with nothing but a butchering knife and a shield, lol.

It was meant as an example.....

You could have events or quests to kill mini Dragons or something that drop small drops of hide etc....

There are plenty of options to give the other Servers similar rewards they could use.

PvE players like Quests and I am sure they can come up with something if they tried.....

Do the PvE HOTA's on Xanadu, the terrain and size alone will drive people NUTS.

Give PvE one set of statues, keep giving PvP its other set, let the trading begin.

Honestly, any argument against this from PvP is sheer greed or.... ENTITLEMENT!! 

You're not better players than us by definition, would like to see some of you "badasses" pull off the palaces and Machu Picchus some people pull off on Freedom.  

It was meant as an example.....

You could have events or quests to kill mini Dragons or something that drop small drops of hide etc....

There are plenty of options to give the other Servers similar rewards they could use.

PvE players like Quests and I am sure they can come up with something if they tried.....

Except wurm is a sandbox game.

You make your own goals, there are no real quests.

Except wurm is a sandbox game.

You make your own goals, there are no real quests.

Ok then what is Hota???  A quest of sorts....There is nothing that says there must be PvP in order to give out statues.

We already have a system of quests of building items or finding items in game now.

It would be nice to see the PvE side of the game get Statues from these type things.

I don't see where it says or why there must be PvP involved to get them.

From the sound of it there are times no PvP happens at all and people just stood there and got statues.

Edited by Uberknot

say that wurm has quests one more time uber please show how little you understand what wurm really is please

if you take all the time you had spend in this topic and instead spend it on a trip to choas a convert to mr you could have gotten a hota statue or 2 by now most likely just by walking into a village's mine that you joined and taken one and sailed away and got kicked out for stealing but hey your on freedom now and you got your statue so no point in ever going back right ;)

so how about you just do that sail over with no tools in a brand new sailboat and sail back home :3

Ok then what is Hota???  A quest of sorts....

guess you said quest once more while i was typing it

no hota is an event not a quest just like hunting uniques are events hosted by players not quests

just like the impalong is an event and so on and on

heck you could call the hota a skirmish if more people showed up to it >.>

Answer me this what is the average number of people at a Hota event these valuable statues are handed out?

And how many times there very little or no PvP involved to obtain them?

Basically how often do these statues get handed out with little or no effort other than a timer?

It just sounds all too easy and really no requirements other than standing there at times to gain them.

The only risk is that some players happen to live on a PvP server basically.

Shouldn't  there be a required number of players fighting on both sides and an actual battle?

Edited by Uberknot

valuable? they only have value because we as freedomers gave them value i myself refuse to pay 10 silver heck even 5 silver for a statue that spawns in the quantities it does id pay 1s for the effort of bringing it over to deli but thats about it thats just shipping cost people who seriously are willing to pay more are the ones with more money then brains or are just lazy

that simple really once the people with money get them(so a few months from now) the price will drop down more and more until they go for 1s or less so if you dont wanna take part of hota just wait a bit and get it for 50c

or even better ask a friend who goes to pvp regularly if they can take a hota statue with them when they go back for you simple :3

• Like 1

Answer me this what is the average number of people at a Hota event these valuable statues are handed out? Depends - no one really knows. Can be 1-50, that is the idea. On twitter and server it shows only 4 who capture, but the reality is there can be alot of people attending Hota or making a trap on the way back.  You say there is no risk, that is real BS. Everytime you go offdeed there is risk involved. Now imagine this. Everyone on the server knows when is Hota, meaning they know there will be enemies there.  They know the roads, they know the time. Hota by itself is a very good idea to make more pvp, because it gives the place and time where there will be people.

And how many times there very little or no PvP involved to obtain them? Heh, this is just dumb. So you are saying everytime i dont pvp i am safe? (I live on Chaos). Everytime i go around with my gear i could get jumped. Go look at Chaos section and see people die. Alot of people say over half of the MR has scale and drake. You know that, someone has dropped that drake? That is the risk. While if you buy a drake set on PvE you will have it forever then on Chaos there is a chance to lose it everytime you go hunting.

Basically how often do these statues get handed out with little or no effort other than a timer? By timer you mean people go to an area where you can´t build anything at an exact time (that your enemies know) and run around that area in hope for a pillar. Hell i have done tons of Hotas, spent 30-40 mins and not seeing a pillar. It is a kingdom and team effort to find them and there is always threat.

It just sounds all too easy and really no requirements other than standing there at times to gain them. Come and get one then.

The only risk is that some players happen to live on a PvP server basically. This is just... i give up explaining this as this is one of the dumbest arguments i have seen. Clearly you have  never set a foot on pvp server.

Shouldn't  there be a required number of players fighting on both sides and an actual battle? Hota is meant to increase the possibilties, but not as being a big battle.

Hope you really read this thru and think about it a little as your arguments are just rubbish tbh. I am really thinking what might have gotten you so butthurt, but cant really imagine. Maybe you are just cheap and dont want to buy one? You do know they are worth as much as people are willing to pay?

Also Hota full loot pvp battle on PvE server would be fun. Heh, would be worth a small boattrip :D

Answer me this what is the average number of people at a Hota event these valuable statues are handed out?

And how many times there very little or no PvP involved to obtain them?

Basically how often do these statues get handed out with little or no effort other than a timer?

It just sounds all too easy and really no requirements other than standing there at times to gain them.

The only risk is that some players happen to live on a PvP server basically.

Shouldn't  there be a required number of players fighting on both sides and an actual battle?

1.)  Most of the time invested in working with HOTA statues are spent by people delivering the statues atm.   Most of the fighting over the resources HOTA gives, does not take place at the actual HOTA, it takes place as people fight for the land around the HOTA area, currently there are battles for control over the HOTA, at GOTL, etc.     What happens at the HOTA when one side completes it often is the other side tries to ambush them, that has been happening off an on over the last few months, ambushes by BL and JK.    The MR players that work the deliveries, setup the purchases, etc spend countless more hours to get you those statues (as some of the deliveries are across Xanadu, etc).  

2.) Saying there is no risk is something absurd when your dealing with a PvP sandbox with full loot.   I really don't get how even a player living on Freedom can ever estimate how much risk your going into every time you do the HOTA, since you never know.  When I do the HOTA I drop everything I don't want to lose, and make sure I'm geared for the possibility of an ambush, EVERY TIME.    I've been playing on this server for years, and I know never to let my guard down, yet you seem to magically know we will never encounter PvP.  I salute you for your expansive precog abilities.    Please help me win the lottery next time.    

3.)  If everything sounds too easy, just come here and try to PvP, I've been doing it for five years, and its never easy.  It's some of the most challenging PvP I've ever worked with in any game.    There are not many games out there with full loot, and most of those the loot is easy to replace.  Much easier than even the basic PvP kit you get, much less what I use and I don't even wear drake or scale, which is worth much more.    I mean we would be happy to take anyone who wants to try, and you can earn a HOTA statue.     For myself, it's not about what the HOTA is worth to anyone else, but the risk of running it and the contribution I give to the community I've lived with for half a decade.  

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 2

If every thing was craftable, why stop with the hota, we should also be able to craft a rare dragon bone, sorcery stuff, scale sets and so on :)

I am very happy there are always things to work hard to get, else I would have found the game rather dull.

• Like 1