Sign in to follow this  
Omgderp

Request To The Community.

You are welcome to agree or disagree, but please do not turn this thread into a debate, that is not my purpose nor is this a poll.

Total players 660/7900

I am aware that Wurm has it's up's and down's with the player base, for example 2 weeks ago:

Total players 1052/7900

I don't speak for everyone and I am aware of that, but I would like to see the player base increase a bit. So I have a relatively simple list of suggestions to make this happen, if you wish to help here it is:

Social Media (Example: Facebook, Twitter): Offer a brief description and the game website link.

Be honest, Wurm isn't perfect, but what game is?

Gaming Forums: I've done this myself on 3 very small forums about 10 minutes ago. I was blunt about what Wurm is and isn't. Lots of sandbox, no instant gratification. :)

Guilds: I'm sure many of you are in a guild on some other game, maybe check with the guild leader if you have a private forum and ask if you can put up a brief 'suggestion to try.' After my post, I'll be doing this too.

Should this effort increase the player base by 5 or 500, it cost nothing more then a few minutes of your time.

Again I do not speak for everyone but I would enjoy seeing:

• The numbers come up a bit, especially for those servers struggling after the immigration to Xanadu. Some new money in the coffer's
  • A new "generation" of player's who become apart of our trading economy.
  • A new "generation" to join villages and learn
  • And in trying to be positive: new premium money hopefully well spent on Wurm it's self.

If you disagree, I respect that but please take the debate to a new thread. This is optional, no one is forced, respect that too.

Edited by Omgderp
  • Like 3

Lol I love this, I plug Wurm to my WoW guild every raid night.  They are getting sick of me already. 

+1 | More players.

Going to struggle with this tho. Wurm lacks a certain ooooo... ahhhh.... Anyone who tries it and stays will likely be someone who either knows someone here, or has a great experience to start.

Unfortunately, there are the chronically indifferent, or overtly hostile; and too many of them.

try to suggest that to RedBaron_Johan (PR Officier) maybe he is able to help you with that.

I like your idea.

I tried to apply for italians but failed. Just because I'm not in that social things.

A new server, which will never be connected to an older server would help.

A game where you have to compete with old accounts that you can never catch up with drives many people away/

• Like 1

A game where you have to compete with old accounts that you can never catch up with drives many people away/

If that's the type of player they are, then Wurm has something for them too. It's called 'Challenge'.

• Like 2

If that's the type of player they are, then Wurm has something for them too. It's called 'Challenge'.

In challenge experience plays a big role too.

But PvE is not so competitive. And believe or not it's not the old players who are driving away the newbies, it's really the opposite, i've seen so many give a helping hand, but yet still newbies quit.

The 30second timers and 10ql tools are most frustrating thing in the world. Even i'm lazy to train a new alt account up.

There should be more buffs for new players or even option for 3days free premium after reaching for example 2 skills to 20.

Some baits and some rewards and some buffs, nothing that would hurt anybody as 99.9skill farmers already get 100crops from 10tiles, while newbies need +40 tiles for it.

Imo best option is to just make as much youtube videos as possible :) too bad not many are in to that and usually requires 2nd account to video it. [

id say timelapses are most interesting thing wurm can offer in video format, and you can already see that from the most popular wurm videos in YT]

i already do this to an degree when ever i become part of a community anywhere up goes a post about wurm
if i got friends on fb looking for a new game out comes wurm
random strangers in a random irc channel dedicated to a different game *drops a hint to wurm here and there to spark people's interest*

if even just a handful of people do these things itl slowly bring in more people it just takes time

5 years ago 200-300 active total active prem accounts 1k

now its quite a bit more for a game which does not make ads on other websites and does not actively go out of its way to drag others over

• Like 1

They had this, Pristine and Release. Then they wanted to connect to the older servers.

Instead of constantly trying to lure in new players via rash decisions and poorly thought-through new features maybe some focus should lie on trying to keep the ones who are already here. Fact is that Wurm has had quite a lot of players during its peaks (and not all of the player loss is due to the seasonal fluctuations) and would gain a lot from trying to maintain that level.

Most people I know who quit the game or just stopped paying for it altogether weren't casuals who just tried out the game and decided it wasn't for them. Most of them played the game for years - had deeds (some of them multiple), high skilled characters, priests and had ingame friends. They just got tired of Rolf's instability along with all the thousands of bugs that never seemed to go away. Many of them would still be here if it hadn't been for the fact that new games have come out within the last 3 years that offer roughly the same things that Wurm has to offer but without the aforementioned issues. People reach a point where the time and effort they've put into the game are no longer worth the hassle of wading through the bugs.

If you don't want a debate/discussion I suggest you send a PM to Redbaron_Johan but I also want you to consider what I just said because it's important.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 4

As I've said before, the best place to advertise is on support group websites for people with ocd. If you advertise on games like Minecraft or WOW that is the least likely spot to get new players as those players are into fast paced instant gratification games.

Until the game offers more than building non-interactive objects and killing things you won't see much of an increase in population.

• Like 1

Instead of constantly trying to lure in new players via rash decisions and poorly thought-through new features maybe some focus should lie on trying to keep the ones who are already here. Fact is that Wurm has had quite a lot of players during its peaks (and not all of the player loss is due to the seasonal fluctuations) and would gain a lot from trying to maintain that level.

Most people I know who quit the game or just stopped paying for it altogether weren't casuals who just tried out the game and decided it wasn't for them. Most of them played the game for years - had deeds (some of them multiple), high skilled characters, priests and had ingame friends. They just got tired of Rolf's instability along with all the thousands of bugs that never seemed to go away. Many of them would still be here if it hadn't been for the fact that new games have come out within the last 3 years that offer roughly the same things that Wurm has to offer but without the aforementioned issues. People reach a point where the time and effort they've put into the game are no longer worth the hassle of wading through the bugs.

If you don't want a debate/discussion I suggest you send a PM to Redbaron_Johan but I also want you to consider what I just said because it's important.

On a scale of 1-10 I'm about a 3 with being annoyed with your debate post. It's a bit hard to be seriously annoyed when I totally agree with you.

But for years under different names (simply have had different accounts) I have pushed, pulled and out right bitched about new servers don't make for magical advertising and new content while the old content could use a seriously debug and some tweaks.

I may seem like a hyprocrite as I am on Xanadu, but I admit I wanted to play with more then 30 people.

I was called out in Xanadu freedom chat last night for being a "newb" however when announcing who he was, a well known troll who has less time in Wurm then me. Sure at the moment we have a relatively high number of premium players. A good number are alt's and when looking at the server numbers isn't anything to be proud of.

I doubt Wurm could sustain full servers nor am I sure I ever want Wurm hugely popular... I never presumed this would be a massive success, but it costs noting but a few minutes of time and some new faces who really want to play are never a bad thing.

Total players 815/10900 (current)

Edited by Omgderp

I can't say the idea of advertising doesn't have me a little nervous. Please don't kill me for mentioning this game, but, in its prime, Runescape had a sizable playerbase despite (or, possibly, because of) its ethic of not advertising; from what I heard, it spread by word of mouth. Maybe that's what needs to happen here? While the playerbase is arguably smaller than that of most MMORPG's, it looks to be loyal and spirited. Who's to say the developers need to get involved? I imagine they'd welcome making facebook pages, youtube videos and even informal "guilds" made in the spirit of promoting their game. That being said, I guess advertising won't send Wurm's ethics tumbling downhill =P

I can't say the idea of advertising doesn't have me a little nervous. Please don't kill me for mentioning this game, but, in its prime, Runescape had a sizable playerbase despite (or, possibly, because of) its ethic of not advertising; from what I heard, it spread by word of mouth. Maybe that's what needs to happen here? While the playerbase is arguably smaller than that of most MMORPG's, it looks to be loyal and spirited. Who's to say the developers need to get involved? I imagine they'd welcome making facebook pages, youtube videos and even informal "guilds" made in the spirit of promoting their game. That being said, I guess advertising won't send Wurm's ethics tumbling downhill =P

Word of mouth is exactly what I am suggesting.

Word of mouth is exactly what I am suggesting.

Ah, right, sorry ^^; Guess I'm kind of prone to misreading things. You know, when I mentioned Youtube, what came to mind was Runescapes video making scene. I'd call it a "Machinima" scene, but that would imply it was just a bunch of "Let's Play" videos. Really, it was a variety of comedy-type videos. I don't know how viable this is for a game like Wurm (being first person and all), but maybe a fun community event that might get this game some exposure would be a video competition? Because of Code Club's stance on real world item trading, actual in-game rewards could be offered.

Some "Let's Play" video's exist already. But first you need word of mouth so people know to look for them. :)

But certainly by all means if people want to make some more or new "Let's Play" all the power to them.

Is there really need for such a negative tone? Sure, Wurm has bugs, but that's hardly a secret, and the developers are working on it. If you feel more attention need be paid, take it to the rants section (if this forum has one); don't condemn someone else's topic.

Some "Let's Play" video's exist already. But first you need word of mouth so people know to look for them. :)

But certainly by all means if people want to make some more or new "Let's Play" all the power to them.

Actually, I meant rather than "Let's Play" videos, more humorous things. You know, something someone might show to someone who hasn't played Wurm just because it's funny =P For a quick, cheap example, a commercial advertising "rare" dirt.

Challenge servers only last a few weeks, not long enough to learn the game, and that has PvP

Release/pristene  were not connected immediatly, but there was no commitment that they would never connect to other servers.

fix bugs - take it out of Beta.  When new people start, they usually quit after a few days or weeks. I've had all of my gamer friends try wurm.  None stayed.  THey are all hard core gamers too.  "too confusing", "too buggy", "too freaking slow to get anything done".  Those are what my friends say when they quit.

These are things Rolf knows already.  I assume he really doesn't give a poop about it, or things might actually change, but they never do.

I am normally so positive thinking and supportive about Wurm, but it keeps bringing me down.

Seriously, we do NOT want to advertise.  Once someone tries it and sees how poorly it performs, they won't ever come back to try it again in the future.

Is there really need for such a negative tone? Sure, Wurm has bugs, but that's hardly a secret, and the developers are working on it. If you feel more attention need be paid, take it to the rants section (if this forum has one); don't condemn someone else's topic.

Actually, I meant rather than "Let's Play" videos, more humorous things. You know, something someone might show to someone who hasn't played Wurm just because it's funny =P For a quick, cheap example, a commercial advertising "rare" dirt.

you know what i tend to do?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=time+lapse+wurm+online&spfreload=1

link vids out of there to people its honestly the best way to show of 1 of wurms biggest selling points after all you aint going to drag someone into wurm with a slow paced 5 hours conversation between 2 guys as they chat(and get it wrong) about mining or something no 5 maybe 10 minutes max after that if it takes more to convince said person try again at a different time

these time lapses show amazing content made by us and in a quick time frame and on several of my posts in small communities i was once part of its stuff like this that made them decide to try it as some of these are epic builds even for us to watch

Wurm to many is a game you play for long periods of time followed by long breaks.

The one time shot I saw at advertising on mmorpg.com garnered little increase from what I saw. The success of minecraft was about the only big hit on the radar wurm ever got from what I remember over the years.

The game is finished enough and in a constant state of wrapper upgrades......yes its time to start advertising.