Sign in to follow this  
BibiWaffles

Brand Spankin New Canal Project

As most of you are aware, the canal is under new management! 

I will be making some adjustments to it in due course, but as its highly used by you all, i wanted to ask if there was anything you would like to see there :)

The depth issues will be addressed, however this could end up costing a small fortune, and i don't particularly want to remortgage my house in order to enable all boats to be able to pass, so its a case of wait and see there. 

Let me know any thoughts or ideas! 

Over and out! 

Bibi 

Edited by BibiWaffles
  • Like 2

How 'bout 1x1 pens, about 10 on each side of the canal, with hell hounds for illumination? :3

jk jk ... unless you liked the idea in which case I'll tame a few for ya.

Depth-wise, it's not the rock preventing more depth?  Got a dredge in that case but otherwise, given the demographics on Release atm, don't see much point in pawning your appliances to open the shipping lane (you meant those shaping wands to lower the rock, right?).  Would make more sense to buy a couple of knarrs and rent them to people desperate enough to do the transfers instead of sailing around =P

As for "critical" changes, all I can think of is maybe a bit more illumination at the entrances for foggy days.  White dye makes them hella visible in fog.  Hmmm... if depth IS eventually corrected then maybe a quick community dig to switch Gaffer's bridge to n-s instead of the current e-w (pointless otherwise as knarrs can still pass it and knarrs are cool and everyone should have a knarr because knarrs are also better when winds are unfavorable, which is usually half the trip so knarrs save you lots of time in the long run, as opposed to if you didn't have a knarr.  Everyone should get a knarr... arr!).

Yeah I'm in the process of making some nice 70ql street lamps to illuminate the way. I agree Knarrs are much better, but people like their diversity in shipping so its just going to be a case of dredging to see where the rock is (if only Fo could dredge... grumble) 

Probably not needed for this one, but if you need cave tiles collapsing, give me a shout.

If you need a hand with misc things, ask your neighbor..I heard he's a really nice guy ;) ;)

I would clean up the entrance and exit and finish paving. Maybe slope back the sides. Lights would be good. Especially at the entrances, I like the red and green, "red, right, returning" to signify which side is which, but thats a personal preference and lines up with real world navigational signals.

Then pick a section and see if you can dredge below the 22 or 23 dirt needed to accomdate The Corbita, Cog and the Caravels. Determine how big the stopper really is and go from there.

Edited by conmcb25

Got a dredge if you want me to test the depth .. would just need permissions ... Hell Hound Refuge if you wanna add me (Ardraug)

from what i can remember when the Bayview people where making it,

The Rock layer is very high there, i think that only lower the rock just enough to get knarrs through

\just let us dredge rock like we can dirt...that would solve allot of problems.

Where's this canal at?  Bayview?  I'll bring a pickaxe and poke at it when I can, if the public is allowed entry/mining.

At the moment there is no permissions set for the public at this stage, im adding deeds and roles as needed at the moment, but for now this is just a feeler post to see what people would like to see done with the area :) As soon as i have this job completed on Pristine i will get to sorting out the canal as priority, but due to the 2 buildings that are currently waiting to decay i cant do anything until they fall with the entrance/exit.

PM me when you're back at Release, I'll swing over with a dredge so we can kill the curiosity once and for all regarding that rock layer lol 

Worst that can happen is I gotta drop the dirt right back where it was.

If anyone still IRC's with Rolf and whatnot..... 20-40kg of lump, steel spike, lots of rope, underwater rock "pickaxe" kthx :3

If anyone still IRC's with Rolf and whatnot..... 20-40kg of lump, steel spike, lots of rope, underwater rock "pickaxe" kthx :3

Amen brother. If the max draft of a ship is 22 or 23 dirt, then there should be some way to mine underwater to that depth (+2 or 3). I think it was changed from 8 to 14 or something like that a while ago, I never understood why they just didnt make it 25 to 30. So then canals could be made to benefit the community without taking out a 2nd mortgage on your RL house...............................

• Like 1

Also with bridges.... coming in soon.... .. .. ... 

We could afford to make some deep surface canals and pass high bridges over them.... 

Nothing we ain't got in Panama :3

The rock under the southern end of the canal was the issue. From memory there were about 12 spots that I surface mined down as far as possible. I dread to think what that would cost to fix. 

TLDR: get people to buy knarrs.

• Like 2

Noob question...can someone ELI5 the costs involved with rl money for some of the stuff you're talking about?

There are lots of mags about. Form an army of them and find those pesky rock tiles, mark them with a sign on how deep, then cost analysis with some ballpark numbers. It's not perfect but it should do the trick. :-)

There are lots of mags about. Form an army of them and find those pesky rock tiles, mark them with a sign on how deep, then cost analysis with some ballpark numbers. It's not perfect but it should do the trick. :-)

They don't. They use mole sense to find how deep the rock is and where and give an idea how much it will cost in wands on the shallow rocks.

• Like 1

Ahh that makes sense now. If you dug out the northern entrance of the canal, wouldn't that make crossing it by cart impossible? Yes, yes bridges someday..