Sign in to follow this  
Idony

Healing Basics: "Help! I don't want to die!"

This information is taken from wurmpedia - but is meant as a quick reference to keep in mind should you be in mortal danger...

+ Healing Basics +:

"Help! I don't want to die!"

When do I need to treat wounds?
It is advisable to treat wounds above 15 damage, or they may worsen or lead to death.

Though this forumula may not be exact to the tee you can determine if a wound will worsen by:

"(wound damage / 3) - 5 = damage increase per tick. If this number is positive, it will require bandages or healing covers. Once this value is negative, the wound will begin healing." *taken off wurmpedia

Depending on your wound type you will follow the procedures as below.

FIRST-AID == (BRUISE, POISON OR INTERNAL WOUND)

You have 2 options:

1. Use Farmer's Salve  (.05kg garlic per .10kg animal fat)
          - Will *not* work on:
              - a wound that is already bandaged
              - wounds above "medium" (up to about 30 dmg)
              - bite, burn, cut or hole type wounds
         - Once applied successfully text next to your wound will read:
              - "bandaged" : if wound was a bruise
              - "applied" : if wound was poison or internal
         - "Farmer's salve is currently only one of very few possible ways to heal a poison or internal
            wound, the other ways being tied specifically to religion."  Fo priests have healing spells.
   2. Use general first aid as listed below

FIRST-AID == (GENERAL)
    The following will work on most all wound types:
   1. Use cotton to bandage the wound.  If you have no cotton, you may skip this step.
         - This will lower the damage, and determine if you need further treatment. 
         - Only one bandage may be applied per wound unless you are hurt on the same spot again.
         - Useage:
              -Cotton, rags, and strings of cloth can be combined into a large clump and only the amount
               needed
to bandage will be deducted from that lump when you heal.
             - If you are desperate you can use *any* cotton item to bandage, however items that can
               not be combined (satchels, cloth armor, etc) will use the entire item when bandaging.
             - Once applied "bandaged" text will appear next to wound.
   2. Is the wound damage still above 15?
         - If so you will also need to to use a healing cover to retain your life... worse wounds

will require more potent covers.
         -Healing covers can be re-applied. So if necessary use a lower potency on the  

wound immediatly to at least slow further damage while you attempt to aquire

proper potency. 
          -Stacking does not combine potency, but uses the potency of the most recently successfully
          applied cover.

- "Medium" (15-30 dmg): require potency1 to begin healing , 5+  to heal in one tick 

- "Bad" (30-40 dmg): require potency 6-12 to begin healing, depending on damage.
                 - "Severe" (45+ dmg): require potency greater than 12 to begin healing, supreme
                   (20+potency) is recommended 

- See below for further healing cover potency information

How can I know what potency my healing cover will be? 
[ Substance #1 potency * Substance #2 potency = cover potency ]

- Two items of the same type can't be mixed, except for mushrooms

Substance Potancy 5

Black mushroom Gland Heart Unicorn twisted horn

Substance Potancy 4

Green mushroom Lovage Rosemary Tooth

Substance Potancy 3

Blue mushroom Bison horn Camellia Eye Long horn Nettles Sage Yellow mushroom

Substance Potancy 2

Acorns Barley Bladder Brown mushroom Garlic Hoof Lavender Lemon Paw Sassafras Tail

Substance Potancy 1

Corn Onion Parsley Pumpkin Reed plants Rose Wemp plants Wheat

What if I didn't make the cover, how can I tell its strength?

All healing covers will have a general strength description when examined:

It will help some against wounds. (1-5)

It will pretty efficient against wounds. (6-9)

It will be good against wounds. (10-12)

It will be very good against wounds. (15-16)

It will be supreme against wounds. (20+)

If in doubt as to whether you have adequatly applied first aid keep track of your wound damage to be sure it is healing

Damage and healing "ticks" are calculated every 10 minutes after the wound is inflicted. Sending a "/tell <name>" to yourself makes a convenient place to record time and damage levels of a wound.  If you continue to loose health you will need a stronger cover.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/First_Aid

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_Guide

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Healing_cover

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Farmer%27s_salve

Edited by Idony
Added wound formula, and reword of "When do I need to treat wounds?"
  • Like 8

wounds above 15 damage that are medium will NOT lead to death but won't heal on their own either..

I think if you are a newer player who has not yet built up good nutrition/fat levels, that medium wounds actually can get worse. I am assuming this guide is written  mostly to help newer players, not veteran established players.  I had a new character on a server I was testing and took a medium wound, I ignored it since 1) I had no cotton (I used up everything I had trying and failing to heal other wounds)  2) someone else had foraged the area recently  3) it was only medium and not THAT bad.  But then when I checked again it was slowly getting worse and was now well into the "bad" range and clearly going to kill me, by that time it was much harder to reverse than if I had treated it early on. I needed much more cotton (I usually failed so it was going to take a fair amount of cotton) and much more powerful Healing Cover. I regretted not having taken it more serious since I was now at very high risk of dying very far from a newbie respawn area. 

My higher level /older characters that have high fat + nutrition levels, always just ignore medium wounds without any trouble. Usually I also have tons of cotton so "when its convenient" I will bandage them up. 

I don't know what the difference is. We need someone obsessed with Science! who will obsessively test things like this.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

There is an even better healing option not mentioned in the OP. Use a high quality (70+) Life Transfer enchanted weapon. In combination with bandaging any type of wound severity and then going out and attacking another aggro, bandaged wounds can be completely healed in this manner, as they will be re-healed over and over until gone.

I never use healing covers with this process. LT weapons are excellent healers in themselves, normally resulting in only bandaging needed at the end of fights, then fighting another aggro again. In many instance with the lesser damage outputting aggros, with a higher QL LT weapon one will be completely healed by the end of the fight.

=Ayes=

There is an even better healing option not mentioned in the OP. Use a high quality (70+) Life Transfer enchanted weapon. In combination with bandaging any type of wound severity and then going out and attacking another aggro, bandaged wounds can be completely healed in this manner, as they will be re-healed over and over until gone.

I never use healing covers with this process. LT weapons are excellent healers in themselves, normally resulting in only bandaging needed at the end of fights, then fighting another aggro again. In many instance with the lesser damage outputting aggros, with a higher QL LT weapon one will be completely healed by the end of the fight.

=Ayes=

That is assuming newer players can and are willing to drop 4-10 silver on a weapon.  I'm with Brash on this, I think this post is geared toward the players getting started out that don't really understand the healing system yet.

• Like 1

Aye due to the limitations inherent on creating LT weaponry, its usually a mid level or higher luxury just to make. Not to mention limited supply and high demand naturally results in high prices.

wounds above 15 damage that are medium will NOT lead to death but won't heal on their own either..

There may be a little wiggle room in here, and I think maybe Brash is on to something with nutrion levels and such.  But for a new player I think "above 15" is pretty sound advice (If it is slightly on the "safe" side, so be it.  The point here is "I don't want to die" after all) 

Normally I don't worry too much about a wound unless I can't get it below 16 damage.  The reason I went with "over 15" for this guide comes from the formula found in the wurmpedia "healing guide" article :

"(wound damage / 3) - 5 = damage increase per tick. If this number is positive, it will require bandages or healing covers. Once this value is negative, the wound will begin healing."

Depending on how exact this formula actually is that would put a wound sitting at 15 with a total of 0 (no healing on its own) and anything above 15 with a positive value and therefore a continuing drain on health.  Is the wiki always exactly right? Unfortunatly not, but the forumula gives results similar enough to my personal experience (16) that I went ahead with it. I've never really walked the fine line of a 15.3 dmg wound to see what happened.

If in doubt though (maybe you are just above 15) you could always just keep track of the wound and see if it gets worse or not.

I've edited the OP to add in the formula above, and reword the advice to bandage above 15dmg.

Incidentally, when I was a newer player I thought  FARMERS SALVE  was kind of a disappointing use for Animal Fat.  Someone told me that no, I was actually way off and Farmer's Salve was in fact, the cat's pajamas. (I need to someday get a set of those for my cat as they sound super cool.)

Farmer's Salve weighs .10 per unit and has ten "doses" at .01 each. You'll need higher does for medium and it does not help at all with worse wounds. However most wounds are not Bad and Cotton is 10X as heavy, So I can carry 1 kg of salve and heal 100 light bruises (I think thats 50 medium) while the same 1kg of cotton heals only 5 medium bruises. Well that kind of math sold me, I now carry at all times about 50 doses of salve (.5 weight). They don;t decay in inventory but if you accidentally left it out, you can combine several to get a lower quality with no damage. 

It's only good for bruises but I get a lot of bruises on hills (or even just disembarking from a stupid CART) plus bruises are a common wound from bears trolls and maybe other creatures.  So I heal all the bruises first with salve and save my cotton I have on me, for cuts burns holes etc.  I am also MORE LIKELY to heal bruises from falling just for the chance to improve healing skill since it will not use up my carrycase of first aid.  The drawback is that while animal fat is easy to find along the road (most hunters leave it behind due to weight), garlic is not too common to find via botanizing. It is also a "harder" crop for newbie farmers as it is unlikely to give them ANY skill gain due to high dif, and I think also their yoelds will be lower than for cotton (which has other good uses besides healing).

Anyway I now have flipped my stance and think Farmer's Salve is a must have, if you pass a new player give them several farmer salves as a gift as they are super lightweight and may save a life.

Now that many healing cover ingredients can be saved in BSBs, it makes a nice little "welcome wagon gift" to give a new player a clay bowl with .50kg of salve, a dozen .03kh lightweight covers, and a couple of .30kg cottons (they won't fit in the bowl whole but fit easy of smaller. Try to keep it under 1kg total so it does not add to encumbrance much. Plus they can dump the items, cook a casserole from the bowl, then repack it after eating.  Some healing cover ingredients like mushrooms are too heavy to haul around so I use those only when I find them in the field, and never carry them around.  I have never tested the actual capacity of clay bowl vs cloth sachels, others say sachels are great but I always lived near clay so used those as my generic catchall container since I could also use them in a forge to hold little items like files chisels needles and even small anvils.

rambles on for a while not noticing everyone has already left

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I generally encourage people to follow this chart I made as a guideline of what sort of healing cover you really need for each wound: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/User:Tathar/HC_Reference#Wound_Treatment_Grid

Since a couple other factors can affect the "-5" natural healing part of the healing rate formula, the table (and especially the wiki's healing guide) doesn't have the thresholds exactly right.  Unless your healing covers are rotting away and you really need the skillticks for first aid, you really don't need to waste your time applying healing covers to very light wounds, and applying them to light wounds only speeds up the rate of healing.  

EDIT: I also have a guide for assembling a lightweight but effective first aid kit to keep on-hand at all times: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/User:Tathar/First-Aid_Kit

I also have a screenshot of an 81.91 damage bandaged wound that I eventually healed for someone, if you want some Wurm gore for the OP.  It was over 90 damage when the ambulance arrived, and the next bleed tick would have caused death.  

Edited by Tathar

Oh yeah farmer's salve is awesome, especially if you tend to fight critters that leave bruises.

Didn't a bandage wound get a +1 (or +2) on healing per tick? Ie:

(wound damage / 3) - 6 (7?) = damage increase per tick

Some recent field testing suggest that the bandage aids the healing process, my treated light (was a medium) healed faster than an untreated light with almost the same dmg

Ok, I concede that LT (Life Transfer) weapons cost a bit of coin but I think they are good to have mentioned here anyway for the superior healing benefits that they provide. I had not even tried one out after several years of playing until a friend mentioned that they used one. I was quite skeptical of them having much effect until I decided to purchase a moderately priced one on a Merchant nearby. After seeing the benefits of survival due to this healing *during* fighting aggros, thereafter I was never without that enchant on a weapon again.

As for healing covers, although they have benefits for the medium or worse wounds (and in certain wounds necessary), they are a real hassle to make due to failures at lower levels and the poor potency of them. As they require both Natural Substances and Alchemy skills, a new player will spend a lot of time attempting to create them combined with their slow creation timer and failures afterwards. I gave up on them years back due to these circumstances, although I have a few in my pack to heal the occasional newer player acquaintance that might ask for help with medium to severe wounds. Even then they are not the best effect due to my low NS & A skills.

Yes, certainly good knowledge listed in this thread but putting it into effect efficiently or even moderately so for a newer player is a time consuming affair. My opinion is that they should initially take the path of lesser resistance by using the more easily available cotton for bandaging, with its faster application timer and no mixing up of ingredients necessary. This will help build the Healing skill which will give them more successful applications and effects over time.

This being the case, bandaging with cotton is the way to go, with the more complex healing cover left for those newer players who stick around for a longer time period and enjoy this time consuming refined healing process. Dying from wounds that bandaging will not effectively heal at a newbie level is hardly much loss anyway and can be hastened in various ways to avoid that slow status depleting effect.

Bye cruel Wurm world!

*enters the red haze*

=Ayes=

Didn't a bandage wound get a +1 (or +2) on healing per tick? Ie:

(wound damage / 3) - 6 (7?) = damage increase per tick

Some recent field testing suggest that the bandage aids the healing process, my treated light (was a medium) healed faster than an untreated light with almost the same dmg

I can confirm through hours of testing fall damage that bandages add +1 to healing over time, and the notes below my HC guide already mention that being the case.  Being well fed also appears to give a similar boost, and religion may have an additional effect, but I can't definitively confirm that.  

at one point i could swear i had a medium wound that healed by itself... don't ask how but suddenly it was light and finally gone...

at one point i could swear i had a medium wound that healed by itself... don't ask how but suddenly it was light and finally gone...

Sounds like your natural healing rate was increased due to nutrition (or fat layers, I forget which causes it) so you could heal larger wounds more easily.

The best use for farmer's salve is healing falling damage.  Walking off a cliff leaves bruises.

I always keep a supply of both a couple flasks of farmer's salve plus a couple kilos of cotton in my inventory.  Best to have both.

Edited by Tristanc

Also while your newbie buffs are up, I think your natural healing rate is increased. As newbies seem to have no problem with wounds in the mid 20's healing on their own.

Moved to the Game Guides section :)

Very useful set of information, I like it.