Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 5

LssNW5L.jpg
Hello Fellow Wurmians!

Welcome everyone and I hope you have your coffee and popcorn ready.

It is a long post today with plenty of tasty morsels for everyone.

I will focus on some new topics today but rest assured it does not mean we forgot bridges.

Progress there is still good but nothing much new to talk about.

So here we go, it is time to

Share some News!

Player Animations

forage.jpg

Screenshot from the test server with the new foraging animation.

We are working on getting more player animations in game.

To clarify this a bit it is mostly about performing different actions.

So foraging and botanizing for example or pushing items, crafting etc.

This makes for more lively interaction with each other and the environment.

Giving more visual feedback and with that, hopefully, some further immersion.

Several animation has already been completed and are being tweaked for implementation.

Treasure.png

The wise man says he has left clues throughout the land of Deliverance so only a true adventurer may find the ultimate treasure.

Further he revealed that the hunt will originate from the city of Greendog and the clue will be made available on January 31.

There will be rewards at the end and along the way for many, but only the first one to the end may claim the true treasure.

Some of the rules and further information.

The hunt is handled like a mission where you have to unlock and find clues to progress.

None of the clues will require you to break any game rules and there will never be a need to break into any fenced area to get the next clue.

You are not permitted to build fences or buildings in order to slow down fellow competitors or block them from clue locations.

Doing so will lead to a disqualification and potentially a ban from Wurm for breaking the hunt rules.

Equipped Tent Model

tent.jpg

Coming in an update soon

There is now an equipped or rather “in hand†model of the tent.

It might be a minor addition but holding an entire unfolded and stiff tent in your hands just looked a bit crazy.

You know why this came about all of you campers at GW at each server release who keep ruining my fancy PR screenshots haha.

Toolbelt Fixes and Updates

There are some additional fixes going live soon which will help make the toolbelt better.

So first of there was a bug fix where toolbelt arrangements was not saved correctly.

Whilst we were at it we added small arrow buttons for next toolbelt and previous toolbelt preset.

CCauldronS.png

Click Image for Larger Version

Challenge Round 2, Dominance!

Yes, a new round of Challenge is being prepared and there are some real interesting change ups this time around.

Again it will be geared towards Full Loot PvP because we want to see how large battles pan out.

Also, we think that it will be a good way to attract new players.

This round we want to give more incentives for kingdom cooperation.

Empowering starting players in order to make them feel more at par with the veteran Wurm players.

We have also made quite a lot of other changes based on the feedback from the forum.

First off, this time we will feature our very first fully hand crafted island.

As our earlier vision was we wanted to create a map with equal starting points and points of strategic interest and Cauldron is the result.

In Cauldron each of the three kingdoms start with a single starter deed each on one of the individual offshoots of the island.

This time challenge will run for 2 weeks.

It is still going to be free premium!

In the middle is the Hunt Of The Ancients (HOTA) zone which will have one single and important resource point with a bit longer intervals between spawns.

The resource point will be guarded by buffed kingdom guards who are aggressive towards anyone threatening their loot.

There will be no building or terraforming allowed in the hota zone.

Between the starter deed and hota zone each kingdom has a “Battle Camp†which is a capture point.

No building or terraforming is allowed here.

This is a strategic asset as it will in the end determine which kingdom comes out as victorious.

As long as your kingdom is in control of a battle camp, the kingdom receives points over time.

It also means that the kingdom controlling two or more battle camps receive more points over time.

There are also several new ways of attaining personal points for the overall Challenge competition and prize categories which will all be revealed a bit later.

Most of the previous competition categories will have changed though.

You will start with 70 fighting skill (which equals 90% of max skill), the possibility to ride horses from day one.

You will also with each respawn get a choice of starting gear.

For example: A High QL leather, Medium QL chain or low QL plate armor.

Also which weapon or weapon with shield in medium quality.

The starting gears can not be improved or recycled into crafting materials.

If they are dropped or its wearer dies they are instantly destroyed.

There will be no PMKs allowed for this round.

Treasure chests will get spawned at random locations on the map containing valuable resources.

The preliminary release date of Challenge round Dominance is set to Wednesday 11th of February.

As you might remember though we are moving to a new office soon and the date might get pushed due to complications around that.

Collisions

There was some worries after last weeks post about the new collision system so I thought I might as well answer it here.

With the updates I mentioned previously you will most likely still be able to look through cave walls and boats will still fit through your canals.

The system will foremost be there to address the more severe bugs where you get stuck.

Community Events!

DragonFlight.jpg

After a black dragon was found on Pristine it was lured to a safe location and trapped.

A dangerous trek with many obstacles along the way but the sly Wurmians Lisabet and JDBooker prevailed.

Being chased over both lands and seas, thrown and confused.

Lisabet ran into a predesignated mine with the dragon hot on her tail whilst JDBooker sealed it in there by crafting a mine door.

DragonCaught.jpg

This meant time to gather the allies needed to take on this mighty beast.

And a good opportunity to gather the community for an event!

Word is that up to about 160 Wurmians showed up hoping to get a piece of the action.

wurmiansS.jpg

Click Image for Larger Version

Once the dragon was released it ran straight out of the mine and into the waiting horde of Wurmians!

fighting1.png

There was a questionable attempt at trying to dominate the dragon but this Wurmian was dealt with by swift way of KOS command to the guards.

The dragon, facing overwhelming odds from the mighty Wurmian horde, went down in 3 minutes and 12 seconds.

An impressive event both in terms of pure Wurmian force, arrangement and attendance!

WurmGirls.jpg

From talented and creative Wurmian Valdor comes the first of its kind, a Wurm Girls calendar.

Complete with images and information about the different girls it is a fun and good looking calendar.

Just click the image above to get to his post where you can download it and check it out!

And that was about all I got for the time being.

Please do tell me if you liked having a bit of community news will you?

And how about that new round of Challenge ey?

I know it is getting me exited for another round, that is for sure.

As always, it is lovely sharing some news with you.

But for now, lets just

Keep on Wurming!

Shall we? ;)

• Like 32

The Challenge news sounds really awesome! Will it be F2P again?

• Like 9

Just FYI, the 160 people couldnt attack it at once >.< max is 20 iirc.

• Like 2

We kill dragons all the time on Epic. Where's our story?

Did you take screenshots and contact Johan with your story?

• Like 1

Did you take screenshots and contact Johan with your story?

I am now.

• Like 2

Oh wow, can I like this more than once??? Love, love, love these updates!

Have to say it's very refreshing to read the news and actually have other projects mentioned and be given updates on them even if they are not actively being deployed.

Sounds like they made some nice changes to Challenge. But it still is not something for me personally.

• Like 1

I"m very very pleased and excited about how the next round of challenge sounds.  balanced and sure to pressure cooker a bloodbath of melee.  Me likes. ..thank you for putting in the hard work there.  i"m eager to play.

and harkening my childhood memories of easter egg hunts and lost treasure...i think this new element to wurm will be a great success. a mini quest option for those that need or want that in an ohterwise open ended playstyle wurm offers.

Just FYI, the 160 people couldnt attack it at once >.< max is 20 iirc.

40 slots for uniques i believe.  

Love the updates and the community parts added in the post the only thing that worries me is the challenge server. I hope working on new maps and the like after each round does not take away from other things like development time for new items and features for the rest of wurm. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

40 slots for uniques i believe.  

I think that was nerfed to 20 a while back.

Also, can Red Baron write the patch notes?

• Like 2

Hah! Jdbooker was the guy that came to celes red once, afk'd the entire fight with close to 10 alts. This was a ridiculous weekly news post.

• Like 1

Finally a nicely balanced map,

And armed guards protecting their loot, woohoo, i suggested that all along, brilliant!

/me crazy clap

Edited by Maximustehgreat
  • Like 1

We kill dragons all the time on Epic. Where's our story?

Also: is there any response to the outcry for more indepth patch notes and explanations when it says "tweaked"?

Wurmians were polled and a large majority said they want better patch notes.

Due to the numbers of voting masses on the poll, I feel it reserves atleast a mention as to whether Rolf gives a poop or not

• Like 10

Great update!  Challenge Cauldron sounds very exciting.

Edited by Galatyn

160 people... oh my god

We killed dragon with <20 people on Epic. I think 160 ppl could kill a dragon with bare hands.

160 people... oh my god

We killed dragon with <20 people on Epic. I think 160 ppl could kill a dragon with bare hands.

Obviously we didn't need 160 people to kill the dragon.  It was opened to public so that all would have a chance at the blood/hide/title.

• Like 3

This looks great. Seems like i have to do Challenge again too, bye RL

• Like 1

Obviously we didn't need 160 people to kill the dragon.  It was opened to public so that all would have a chance at the blood/hide/title.

NO you're WRONG 

omg freedom jsut

MAKE ME SO MAAAD ARRRGHGGHHH!!11

• Like 5

The only, only, only thing I can think is to change the respawn with "starter" gear to just let players keep their armor, weapon, and shield (all worn items) when they die.  All other items in inventory drop as loot.  The reason I say this is because with all the hectic treasure hunting, hota raiding, battlecamp defending, etc. I think the result is going to be that most players simply will not bother to skill up and craft armor, weapons, or shields because the "starter" options will be sufficient to keep them in the fight so all they will do is fight - and maybe that is the goal, if so fine.  However, if players were allowed to keep all items that are worn at the time of death, there would still be a need for better gear and a reason for crafters to provide it.

But overall, this is a fantastic update and I want to personally commend Rolf and the team for listening to, adapting for, and putting up with this rough Wurm community of ours ;)

• Like 6

NO you're WRONG 

omg freedom jsut

MAKE ME SO MAAAD ARRRGHGGHHH!!11

Wrong? How so?  Are you saying that you encourage the greed of private hunts?

dem 8 man dragon slayings

Also, he was trolling. You didn't get that? Lol

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1