Sign in to follow this  
SmeJack

Please remove the Characteristic nerf on priests

+1 if this Nerf truly exist. I would like to see evidence proving this.

• Like 1

it does. i tested it before priesting up. :P

its about a 20% skill gain loss in body stats. only tested body stam gains, nothing else.

Edited by Horsch

I seem to have a easier time getting body stamp then I do body strength :)

+1

Priests are restricted in plenty of other ways. There is no need for this.

• Like 1

^ Restrictions should be overhauled so priest mains are made more viable and the restrictions actually make some sense (but then sub count/greenback supply would decrease boohoo).

• Like 1

Thats just the way it is. I have a decent amount of experience in this game myself. And my experience is telling me that this person is trying to make the game easymode and trying to bend it in their favor.

Not sure if you are dumb or trolling, That is a retarded comment either way.   :P

• Like 4

Thats just the way it is. I have a decent amount of experience in this game myself. And my experience is telling me that this person is trying to make the game easymode and trying to bend it in their favor.

Maybe you're not understanding, I'll try to repeat it.

You're a Vyn follower grinding woodcutting.  You cut 20 trees, you enjoy your stat gain.  Now you hit 30 faith and want to priest. You are now a priest.  You cut 20 trees, you now get less skill in your stats. 

Do you see where there is no easymode suggestion yet?  There is nothing about bending in anyone's favor.  It's not even a restriction like no crafting.  It's an outright penalty that does nothing.  The suggestion has nothing to do with priests getting less stats because they can't do all gathering skills.  It's because they get less skill for doing the same thing they are already allowed to do.

• Like 2

I asked a dev who deals with skill gain roughly a year and and a half or so ago for confirmation just incase the information was outdated on the priesting pop up at the lights, thinking that if it wasnt accurate it should be removed and they said it was true

Maybe you're not understanding, I'll try to repeat it.

You're a Vyn follower grinding woodcutting.  You cut 20 trees, you enjoy your stat gain.  Now you hit 30 faith and want to priest. You are now a priest.  You cut 20 trees, you now get less skill in your stats. 

Do you see where there is no easymode suggestion yet?  There is nothing about bending in anyone's favor.  It's not even a restriction like no crafting.  It's an outright penalty that does nothing.  The suggestion has nothing to do with priests getting less stats because they can't do all gathering skills.  It's because they get less skill for doing the same thing they are already allowed to do.

I am fully aware... when you rightclick an altar on chaos to priest up it tells you about this. The priest that priests up fully understands this and accepts this when they priest up atleast on PVP servers.

However on pve servers there is no warning like this and a change there could be understandable.

IF the game warns you and you still agree to priest up, then that's on you. 

Having the stat gain loss is part of being a priest. If you don't want the stat gain loss then don't priest up.

You trade the ability to continue, Improve, and the standard stat gain when you priest up. You gain the ability to cast spells, have the various priest bonuses, and gain an increase in soul stat gains. This is a tradeoff the player makes when they make this decision.

Well since you wanted to use champs as an argument to leave it the same lets talk about how champs would champ up knowing they can not go to home servers right, until it was decided to be changed that they can go? That's just one example of a game that is constantly evolving and changing to improve gameplay. Unless you have a reason other than 'that's just how it is' then the game should probably never make anymore changes ever again.

• Like 6

changes like that were put into the game because people whined and complained about it. Just like how this topic is being whined about.

I didn't even know this existed, this is horrible , +1

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wurm_Server_Release_Notes_2009

• The new religion code is now live. The change contains more spells, the ability to link casters, the need to keep your alignment in check by for instance taking confession or holding sermons. Most functionality is like before though. In order to reduce the incitament for everyone to become a priest, priests gain basic body and mind characteristics slower.

+1 to the OP. The limitations on what priests can actually do is already enough to reach the intended goal of the feature in discussion, hence I see no point in keeping it.

You trade the ability to continue, Improve, and the standard stat gain when you priest up. You gain the ability to cast spells, have the various priest bonuses, and gain an increase in soul stat gains. This is a tradeoff the player makes when they make this decision.

Is there any release note or update that writes priests get increased soul stat gains? I've personally never heard of that before.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 3

This has been around for years now and it serves it purpose.  Priests get benefits from gods and have to depend on others..The more you start making it easy to gain stats skills etc for priests the sooner we end up with Priests being the only character made.

How are you going to give back all those skills priests have lost over the last 4-5 years?

You just gonna say oh well now new priests have it twice as easy? and shaft all those priests for years who have skilled?

Plus the facts are you can get 70+ faith in one month so depriesting is so easy now that anyone except maybe 90+ faith priests can become a normal player and skill up skils the repriest. You dont lose channeling or the other skills only faith which has been easy as pie to get back.

I just do not see giving priests more skills like non priests when they have a choice to be a priest or not and can switch in between pretty much effortlessly.

Edited by Uberknot

This has been around for years now and it serves it purpose.  Priests get benefits from gods and have to depend on others..

Not sure how gaining characteristics slower makes you have to depend on others.

The more you start making it easy to gain stats skills etc for priests the sooner we end up with Priests being the only character made.

Except the reason everyone doesn't play as a priest is because of actual priest restrictions, not arbitrary characteristic nerfs.

How are you going to give back all those skills priests have lost over the last 4-5 years?

You don't, just like every change in skillgain.

• Like 2

Not sure how gaining characteristics slower makes you have to depend on others.

Except the reason everyone doesn't play as a priest is because of actual priest restrictions, not arbitrary characteristic nerfs.

You don't, just like every change in skillgain.

Sorry I just don't see this as a good change because its easy to depriest and repriest now. 

Players have the choice to gain the benefits of being a priest or PENALTIES.

I just do not see giving priests more skills like non priests when they have a choice to be a priest or not and can switch in between pretty much effortlessly.

They wouldn't be getting more skills, at all. There is an existing feature in place that reduces the body statistics gained from the few skills they have available to use.

For example, a magranon priest can mine. He mines 50 shards. He gained 0.008 body strength from this.

A non priest does the exact same thing. Same skill, he mines 50 shards. He  gained 0.01 body strength, because there's a reduced stat gain in place for the magranon priest.

That's what the OP asks for to be changed - not for the ability that that magranon priest can suddenly dig, or anything :)

• Like 2

Nah I'm pretty sure I don't personally know anything about the OP

Just stating that people shouldn't be trying to get the game changed just because its not easymode for them.

All I've seen continuously from your posts is always you decided to be a priest, here have a wheelchair. I'd love to see on the doll where the bad priest touched you. 

All I've seen continuously from your posts is always you decided to be a priest, here have a wheelchair. I'd love to see on the doll where the bad priest touched you. 

funny thing is he is a mag priest ...

I dont get it either why juki is so upset about this. I'm a priest and characteristic grinder. Didn't know about this nerf. Quite a bummer...

changes like that were put into the game because people whined and complained about it. Just like how this topic is being whined about.

Sry Buddy, the only one whining here is you... almost everyone else here is argumenting, providing facts and examples.

All you do is stating "Never change anything! Why? Because!"

You have a different opinion? Fine, we noticed.

All you will ever get out of Battlepaw, Madnezz, and Jukimo is "-1 you're making the game easier for yourself". It's not even worth arguing with them (especially when they forum PM you just to tell you the same thing with some insults attached).

Disregarding that logical flaw, priests are already limited enough (they need an overhaul anyway). This nerf is stupid and pointless, revert it.

• Like 2

Its not a Nerf at all its a penalty for choosing to be a priest and have special spells normal players don't have.

Like I said you can move between priest and non priest very easy now with Sermons.

Only the most dedicated priests will get 90+ faith and stay there because they want the power that comes with it.

Everyone else can be a priest or not and switch between them monthly if they choose to do so.