Sign in to follow this  
SmeJack

Please remove the Characteristic nerf on priests

It's not a bug though like lol

I didn't jump on the wagon to say it was a thing until Gary posted all the code for it

It's in the code that it's lesser skillgain, that's not really a bug, it was put in by Rolf

If it were removed then everyone be a priest. What do?

So new player joins Wurm and a village and really wants to be a priest, lets say Fo, gets converted does all the right things, becomes priests, levels channeling....then decides he/she wants to ride a horse.  And asks Cleric for advice (i warned about nerf)...Sooooooo you need 21 Body Control for a horse .....

Player: How do i get BC
Cleric: Carpentry ,Smithing, 
Player: Remember  *priest*
Cleric: duh, um Archery obviously
Player: Cool, (she makes bow, string, arrow shafts...)
Player: Two quivers later and I have gains (let me check) 0.005, wtf?
Cleric: Oh, you have to shot a *lot* of arrows as a priest to level BC
Player: O.o, what do you mean, i already have to stop and make arrows every time since they break due to low skill?  
B; but you get ticks for fetching too
Player: let me see... oh 0.000189, um yes i suppose a total !@#$ would call that a gain...fine how many times must i shoot the target to get to 21 from 20
Cleric: its only about 3000, and hey, if you use sleep bonus it will be even faster
Player: so wait...3 thousand times? at like 8 seconds each?  that's like 6 straight hours
Cleric: Ya, told you priests have a bit of a nerf
Player: wait, and i have to make the arrows too, every time, at another 15 seconds each thats another 12 hours...
Cleric: hey you get BC for making arrows shafts too
Player: if you call 0.0001 a gain one more time i will stab you in the face
Cleric: lol, sorry, but dont forget making the shafts to make the arrows shafts and since you cannot cut trees (Fo) need someone to help with that
Player: So basically you are saying it takes nearly 20 straight hours of solid grinding, to get the one skill point to ride animals
Cleric: just horses
Player: I really like Wurm and i can grind it out this one time...wait, what do you mean "just horses"
Cleric: sorry, other animals can be ridden, nothing for you to worry about they take even more work
Player: wait, i am priest of Fo and cannot ride horse as it is, i want to tame and breed animals, i want to be able to ride things, what other things, what do i need
Cleric: well next level is brown bears/bulls
Player: what BC?
Cleric: 23
Player: ....!@#$% this

This is an illustration of issue and similar to conversations i have had with a couple people (couple lines are paraphrased from actual discussion), this is more to the point than normal as i try to put positive spin so they do not rage quit.  This particular nerf means difference between 2-4 hours (normal character able to get full advantage or ticks and gains and imping the arrows) vs ~24 hours for a priest who did not read the warning label or head advice and thought they would just grind it out later, because they are already paying prem on a mostly useless character and hit 30 and figured they would go for it.  

3000 arrows, not an exaggeration, actually short and about how many shots it would take if you had a horseshoe lodged in your lower intestine and probably using sleep bonus.  One of my priests i never thought i would want to ride a horse and now i do, i have the patience for it as all i had to do was spend a few hours making arrow shafts (with my main obviously) and then hit the button few thousand times with reloads from time to time. At least my priest can use high ql maple arrow shafts, feel bad for any trying to do this from scratch and with only a priest.

Please remove the characteristic nerfs off of priests.  Seriously, yes they may have CoC or WoA or AsOP, but it already takes some retarded grinding to make those viable and no small community is going to be able to support sermons to get a priest to that level any time soon, and then you are going to make it so person has to spend 24 hours of solid grinding to be able to ride a horse? and it is only 1 skill point above the non-prem max?

• Like 4

Why is, and ever was, this a thing. Please remove it it's SO GODDAMN STUPID.

• Like 1

We beg of you. There's so few skills priests can do to gain stats as is, they don't need that nerfed too!

+1, somehow this thread was on wrong page, maybe it needs to be pinned....so many posts and not a single comment.  One would think that somewhere someone (new devs that we *know* read these) would, i don't know, at least call us names as we do know the change is simple to make at least in the wu code...not asking to build, just want to be able to gain body skills normally.  Characters became priests, they did not contract a wasting disease, i mean really, why bother having a faith that encourages mining (Magranon - mole sense, strongwall,...the ability to actually mine) and then nerf the skills gained from it.  

Body Control has to be the worst and most ridiculous limit, can dominate stuff....so they can have their very own useless monster that they will never be able to ride unless the spent months working on body skills (ensuring they get zero pleasure out of playing and the character is useless) so they can become a priest and spend even more months being useless so that one day they can cast a spell, but hey if one spends months preparing their mag priest, then they can at lease ride to the place were they will be able to cast strongwall and with months of grinding before priesting they would probably be able to ride a scorpion, but if the priest first there no chance in **** of ever riding a scorpion.

But here is another argument, if priests are physically nerfed, i,e. too clumsy to ride a horse, then perhaps they would be smart enough to find another way to stay on?  Or are priests clumsy AND retarded?  

• Like 1

Priest's are Incredibly powerful characters in PvP and they should have to get there like any other priest.  Thru intelligent play, working up your stats prior to Priesting up!

The nerf is what often times evens out the playing field when you have a main who is not a priest with Impressive characteristics and a Main who is a priest with less characteristic's but his bag of faith tricks!

I see many of these posts coming from Priests that are mains and from many pvp inclined players who believe in the whole (Min/Max Philosophy of wurm) The Only Med path 1/2 Damage taken, Tosiek Priest for Light of Fo, etc.  

Well guess what maybe you shouldnt have rushed to priest up so fast!  And I don't feel for you in the least bit....  

But sulfur buddy, whats the difference between a priest woodcutting or a non priest woodcutting? They do exact the same action but the priest is severly nerfed and just takes much more time to get the same stats.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

Priest's are Incredibly powerful characters in PvP and they should have to get there like any other priest.  Thru intelligent play, working up your stats prior to Priesting up!

The nerf is what often times evens out the playing field when you have a main who is not a priest with Impressive characteristics and a Main who is a priest with less characteristic's but his bag of faith tricks!

I see many of these posts coming from Priests that are mains and from many pvp inclined players who believe in the whole (Min/Max Philosophy of wurm) The Only Med path 1/2 Damage taken, Tosiek Priest for Light of Fo, etc.  

Well guess what maybe you shouldnt have rushed to priest up so fast!  And I don't feel for you in the least bit....  

Probably should go read the thread before commenting,  Not asking for priest main, asking for priests not to be unfairly penalized because of, probably your kind of thinking.  I am not talking champions and i am certainly not talking about PvP at all as if that is even relevant and there is no such thing as priest mains on freedom, unless you want to be an indentured servant to a village, forever, or maybe you spend a long time building everything then priest and hope you dont need to make anything else or improve anyting ever.  PvP all you have to do is fight, which you can level everything up and then priest and keep going like nothing changed.  wtf do you do in freedom?  You find a sermon group for how long it takes to get to 70, then go home and what make bricks and pray.

I am talking about tired of seeing people quit because they want be priest and only total retard would be willingly waste 6 months of premium so they can *start* playing.  The are barely useful as alts.  Priests for most are at best utility alts, storage, bricks, mortar, spells, using up vast amounts of iron/cloth/yoyos/corn.

I want to see people playing everything and actually see them enjoy playing, not play for few months and realize that the *minor* nerf means they totally screw themselves.  We do not have the altars in Xanadu so most dont even get the basic warning about the nerfs and certainly do not understand the limits, and i know for a fact that when people know how bad the nerfs are they generally change their mind even when they have the basic stats because it is insult on top of the injury of all the other things that priests already cannot do, improve, build, continue, then the lack of digging/mining/cutting, oh and then what little is left you can do you get screwed out of stat gains that are already hard to come by as the things you normally get them by cannot be done anyway?  

Body Control what you gonna do, if already a priest you gonna shoot 90,000 arrows to ride a Hell Horse?  Or maybe make 300,000 spindles? or are you going to find another game, i already know what at least three people chose one even was already on a horse but she realize there was no chance to ever ride a bear and actually enjoy the game, hint, they are not riding anything anymore.  And I have 4 priests and have been playing for a while.  you are not talking to me, if you are then so you can take your " shouldnt have rushed" and insert it where ever you like.  

if you think priest are so easy and powerful, then please go roll one, grind out the body stats *then* grind out the priest stats, *then* grind faith, *then* grind channeling and let me know just how much fun you had and how your priest main is so powerful

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

But sulfur buddy, whats the difference between a priest woodcutting or a non priest woodcutting? They do exact the same action but the priest is severly nerfed and just takes much more time to get the same stats.

The difference is you gain characteristic's slower as  a Priest and that is offset by all those powerful spells you have....  So Either A) De-Priest and work your character or B} Suffer with you slower gains knowing that you have your spells and can easily beat up someone with 10 more body stats then you have!!!

Priests already have there Cake what they need Ice Cream too!!!

10 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

Probably should go read the thread before commenting,  Not asking for priest main, asking for priests not to be unfairly penalized because of, probably your kind of thinking.  I am not talking champions and i am certainly not talking about PvP at all as if that is even relevant and there is no such thing as priest mains on freedom, unless you want to be an indentured servant to a village, forever, or maybe you spend a long time building everything then priest and hope you dont need to make anything else or improve anyting ever.  PvP all you have to do is fight, which you can level everything up and then priest and keep going like nothing changed.  wtf do you do in freedom?  You find a sermon group for how long it takes to get to 70, then go home and what make bricks and pray.

I am talking about tired of seeing people quit because they want be priest and only total retard would be willingly waste 6 months of premium so they can *start* playing.  The are barely useful as alts.  Priests for most are at best utility alts, storage, bricks, mortar, spells, using up vast amounts of iron/cloth/yoyos/corn.

I want to see people playing everything and actually see them enjoy playing, not play for few months and realize that the *minor* nerf means they totally screw themselves.  We do not have the altars in Xanadu so most dont even get the basic warning about the nerfs and certainly do not understand the limits, and i know for a fact that when people know how bad the nerfs are they generally change their mind even when they have the basic stats because it is insult on top of the injury of all the other things that priests already cannot do, improve, build, continue, then the lack of digging/mining/cutting, oh and then what little is left you can do you get screwed out of stat gains that are already hard to come by as the things you normally get them by cannot be done anyway?  

Body Control what you gonna do, if already a priest you gonna shoot 90,000 arrows to ride a Hell Horse?  Or maybe make 300,000 spindles? or are you going to find another game, i already know what at least three people chose one even was already on a horse but she realize there was no chance to ever ride a bear and actually enjoy the game, hint, they are not riding anything anymore.  And I have 4 priests and have been playing for a while.  you are not talking to me, if you are then so you can take your " shouldnt have rushed" and insert it where ever you like.  

if you think priest are so easy and powerful, then please go roll one, grind out the body stats *then* grind out the priest stats, *then* grind faith, *then* grind channeling and let me know just how much fun you had and how your priest main is so powerful

Once Again I don't give a rats arse about Freedom!  And you guys can put this in there.... I do care about Epic and I don't want this here in Epic....

So as I have said in many other threads... The suggestion forum needs to be split between clusters so that Freedom people can whine for what they want and Epic people can whine for what they want without the two butting heads!

I wish you all the best on making Freedom as carebear as makes you happy and I support your efforts to make Priest gains equal in the land of Freedom but here in Epic where Priests rule PvP they don't need any more advantages then they already have!

13 hours ago, sulfurblade said:

I priested back when I had around 60 body, so I certainly grinded enough.  After 1.5 years of being a Mag priest I depriested.  I've been a not priest for a very long time now and have much better stats.  I don't know what you're arguing.  I'm not a priest nor plan to be one again because it sucks, and I want this removed.  There's literally no balance from being penalized for doing the same things a non-priest can, especially when you include the fact they can't do 90% of the rest of the things a non-priest can

• Like 3

After telling players that their only option is Archery to raise BC if they went ahead priested (on their otherwise useless account...see my previous posts for explanation)...it turns out that you level Archery/Bow type faster than your BC can raise so about halfway to 21 from 20 your BC ticks go from 0.001 to about 0.0003...i.e. 1/3 the tick you were getting.

So now i feel like a ###### for passing on the same flawed ###### "Archery" to players who just want to ride a horse with their priest...no wonder they quit...

yeah priest balance as a whole is ######, but the stat gain nerf is not the way to "balance" it (it only does the opposite)

remove this dumb nerf already

Suggestions forum, where obvious suggestions about simple changes go to get ignored.

Hmm I stopped bumping it when it was added to the 'plan for a plan list' ..... curiously its not on that list anymore....

Maybe he just said he could in the Q&A?

• Like 1

+1

im doing a bad job of keeping my posts in the pvp threads but i mean

characteristic nerfs and priests

eh..

• Like 1