Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

semi automatic grinding/sawing/cutting(bricks)

Before you even just scroll down and -1 it like usual read it please.

Short version at the bottom.

I was thinking of 2 ways to go along it the first being obviously wind powered the 2nd being well steam powered.

Now with wind powered one would have to find out the wind direction then right click said machine and click turn towards and then what direction and based on what direction it was facing a timer will be shown(every change of direction = 15 sec timer so e se s sw w would take 75 seconds) after that one would open up the inventory and put in the item one would want to use eg huge grindstone/15kg steel saw blade or said equivalent for cutting bricks again in steel.

After that is setup you would right click it again open it and load it up with what you want to use and then click on something along the lines of align gears again a few second timer and then it goes off slowly chucking along and you wait several minutes(depends on wind speed) and out comes the flour or planks or bricks.
No skill will be gained and grindstone/sawblade and such take damage per item made and need to be replaced every 1k items made.

Now with the steam powered one you would have to open up the fireplace so one would right click it then open fireplace load it up with the fuel then right click it again and open water tank and fill it with water after that light it and wait 20-30 minutes for pressure to build up before repeating the loading of what was done above.
Again no skill btw.

Also im not talking about a machine that takes just 50 bricks several kg of steel to make but more along the lines of some of our bigger constructions several hundred planks gears nails(small and large) or bricks and steel and what not for the steam powered one.

And both machines would be only become available at 95+ carp/masonry so its not like everyone will end up having one within a week or 2 of them being made they would even at 95 skill be a pain in the behind to continue building let alone make the items for.

So Any new items that would be needed for both devices would require high skilled players to be able to create said items or even attach them and after all that is done the steel saw blade huge grindstone and such break easily and again have a low chance of making.

So ya go on say oh it would imbalance trade as its an automated way of making say 1k planks but see this would you spend 75 minutes making planks at 4 seconds on your saw or let a machine like this spend 150 minutes making 1k planks and you not get any skill and having to replace the saw blade afterwards.

It has its plus points instead of sitting there for 75-80 min making 1k planks you can spend that time doing something else but its down side? huge resource cost to build and use and no skill and requires insanely high skill to even create.

Wanna make it even harder to off set it a bit more? add in a certain requirement for mind logic before one could use said machine say 40 mind logic and if person who started it logs off or leaves local said machine slowly grinds to a halt and stops and only 1 of these machines can be active per player that way you cant just make 50 of them and run them all at once and get 50k planks every 90 minutes.
Wanna up it a notch? only the person who started it can attach said components to it and needs to be able to create said components before being able to add it thus requiring you to have 95+ carp/masonry.

I have seen ideas like this pop up often and quite often myself i posted on them saying that they seemed easy to use but how about we do work to getting something like this instead of being all negative about it but instead of it being easy make it be as hard to get as possible without it being annoying(like say 20 million clicks kind of annoying) but just being that those who actually invested hours of their game time in getting to the high skills required to make them get to make these machines and make them expensive to maintain as well.
The mechanic to create item and let other item take damage is already in the game in sense of charcoal piles(they take damage and in turn produce resources) so wont be to hard to add to something like this.
Feedback is welcome on how you would tweak/change this design in order to make it be more complicated yet stick to the way that it would work in wurm
And please dont say "Wurm is medieval we dont want/need this" like its so often mentioned and not say why atleast give a good reason why we should not see a few early on machines  that work in this manner in wurm by now after all in the time of writing It is 16:51:26 on day of Sleep in week 1 of the Snake's starfall in the year of 1046 in wurm times around that time in our history things like this started popping up so why should wurm stick solely to everything being done by hand as we have all seen bit by bit more advanced things get added to wurm more complex ways to do things as well so  sooner or later things like this would probably come around be it not in the near future then prob in the distant one.

So to sum it up
2 machines for making flour/planks/bricks
Require 95+ skill in carpentry/masonry/blacksmithing to create components and machine
Takes around 150 minutes to cycle through and make 1k planks/bricks(over 75 it takes for a person)
No skill
Resource heavy to construct and maintain with grindstone/sawblade/other components needing replacing every 1k items they help produce and their weight being high (15kg steel or even 30 and 200kg grindstone for eg)
Requires 40 mind logic to operate
Long timers to align/get it heated
Have to stay around/online for machine to work or else it stops

Imagine building a knar at 1 shipbuilding and 1 carp thats the kind of way you would feel building said machine so not something you build in a week or a month unless you really go for it hours on end

Edited by wipeout

hm, well  i like tekkit so i kinda like this one BUT i doubt there will be any automation what so ever in this game..

Wind powered machines would be nice. Horse powered. By the stage we have reached in weaponry being steel and not stone in the game, windmills were common things.

• Like 2

This would be an excellent suggestion if you made the creation of these machines so difficult (as OP would like difficulty added) to create that no players could ever create them. Say 102.003 skill level and masonry skill, not flimsy carpentry constructions. Then they will remain a pure vision of Wurm's future allure, once it never reaches the stage of industrial automaton bottables.

Then take a nap and dream of the slow trickle of coins rolling in with each turn of the winch, as the sheep hop over the shop. Perhaps sheep could also be attached with 102.01 AH skill. A bit less of a skill requirement for them than masonry, since they are easily influenced.

=Ayes=

Hire newbies if you want automation, it's what they're for.

That why new players get burned and left game

• Like 2

-1. An interesting read but you seem to have missed the point as to why everyone is so against automation. WURM IS ABOUT DOING ACTIONS. Your point of it not impacting the economy is so horrifically wrong, if I had the option of making these machines I could and would then set them up and give them a supply of logs, while this is happening I can still do my standard work making my high quality items to sell or grinding another skill. The problem lies here, the reason bulk items cost money is that it takes YOUR time to make a lot of items, this is a great thing it means that some people with high skill who can make planks super fast don't bother and it allows low skill players to enter the economy. For a newer player making 1000 planks is doable, it might take some time but it can be done, a few people I know in the game started by making 5-8k bricks and selling them for their first month of premium. We need a system in wurm that makes unskilled labor valuable and we have this in the form of bulk work, without this it would become completely elitist with very little to persuade new players to work.

/rant

• Like 5

super fast? its twice as slow as you would be able to make planks at that skill level just saying add in the fact of the amount of materials it takes to build 1 let alone operate it its not something you just "load up and forget" about a newbie will happily chug along if he knows hes gonna get paid until he grows tired of it this machine on the other hand its saw blade will break after 1k or runs out of fuel at some point in time(depending on which one) or have to change the direction due to wind changing

its not something you build 10-15 of in the first month after its release and always throw all your logs or shards or grain in all day every day

and ya wurm is about doing actions hence the hundreds of actions to make that thing let alone maintain it i did point out the "building a knar at 1 shipbuilding and 1 carp" difficulty of creating said machine once its components are unlocked you manage to make 1 and its an achievement of some kind for you if thats how you want to see it

plus no where did i say it would not inpact the economy at all i know it will slightly do so but not every man/women/child and their dog will have one in a long time heck how many people have carp masonry and blacksmithing at 95? ya sure there will be an impact that some players wont buy planks but its not like it will completely destroy those 3 sectors of bulk trade

The main point I was driving at is why fix what isn't broken, the economy functions as is why do you need higher level players to be able to do everything better by themselves. The only thing this could achieve is making a way for a few high level chars to make planks while afk, benefits the few adds nothing very useful to the game as a whole and removes the automation free existence which quite a lot of people, myself included, enjoy about the game.

A few machines to automate the grinding sounds good but the fact is it relly would not fit wurm cause the way its suggested it would be way to complicated for wurm mabey if it was not so complicated I would give it a + but it seems to be way to complicated I must say -1

This would be an excellent suggestion if you made the creation of these machines so difficult (as OP would like difficulty added) to create that no players could ever create them. Say 102.003 skill level and masonry skill, not flimsy carpentry constructions. Then they will remain a pure vision of Wurm's future allure, once it never reaches the stage of industrial automaton bottables.

Then take a nap and dream of the slow trickle of coins rolling in with each turn of the winch, as the sheep hop over the shop. Perhaps sheep could also be attached with 102.01 AH skill. A bit less of a skill requirement for them than masonry, since they are easily influenced.

=Ayes=

A building such as this would rely on many skills and would, hopefully, be a village or even alliance project. It would take carpenters, masons, smiths, ropemakers, maybe even tailors and leatherworkers could have something to do with the blades. If you made most of the parts to require 70 in skill in many areas, it would not be a spammed out machine. Wind blades would not turn well in light breezes. Wrongly aligned blades are not going to turn well either so a player would need a sense of the prevailing weather in their area. Wind speed and direction could impact production ratios. The best part? It's not being done by hand so absolutely no skill gains for using the machine. QL of the product relies on the QL of a very hard to improve saw blade that wears quickly and has a chance to break. These are things that a real mill would face in a similar setting. A broken or dull blade could put you down for days or weeks if you had no on skilled or the facilities to make a replacement.

• Like 1

If you make the machine so complicated it's awful there's no point having it, if you make it any easier than now then it takes the job away from those who fund their game with bulk goods.

I see no benefit to changing either of those situations, a big -1

• Like 1

A building such as this would rely on many skills and would, hopefully, be a village or even alliance project. It would take carpenters, masons, smiths, ropemakers, maybe even tailors and leatherworkers could have something to do with the blades. If you made most of the parts to require 70 in skill in many areas, it would not be a spammed out machine. Wind blades would not turn well in light breezes. Wrongly aligned blades are not going to turn well either so a player would need a sense of the prevailing weather in their area. Wind speed and direction could impact production ratios. The best part? It's not being done by hand so absolutely no skill gains for using the machine. QL of the product relies on the QL of a very hard to improve saw blade that wears quickly and has a chance to break. These are things that a real mill would face in a similar setting. A broken or dull blade could put you down for days or weeks if you had no on skilled or the facilities to make a replacement.

pretty much this right here it would not be something simple to make and operate it be something to be proud of if you actually make it it be something as audrel said a village/alliance project(unless a true joat comes around with insane skills) otherwise you just wont see them often

gollum there is theres the fact that if you can make it and you have made it you get to be 1 of the few who get to make a few hundred planks/bricks what have you in a fancy way while you go on smiting without clicking away but in the end you still gonna need to replace parts to keep it going which is pretty much the point of it you get some semi automated production at really high cost its like say filling an order of 1000 gold bardings of ql 90(each costs 25kg to make btw) just as insane of a project if a bit less but the reward would be something to remember

As someone who has the skill straight up to build these machines...

I say no. 

I'd like something cool to do with my skills (sorta like what we have for fine carp), but automating stuff is really against the general theme for Wurm mechanics.  It's semi-afkable...but not afkable.

Minus -1 for me. 

Actually read a good chunk of the post, but I'm -1'ing it SPECIFICALLY because of the 95 requirements. This means that it only reduces the tedium for those who have proven that they are the only ones capable of enduring that tedium. I have very mixed feelings on automation in wurm, I believe that the work involved leads to the satisfaction of completion, but also that effort and investment should increase ones abilities. An alternate method to produce bricks a little faster, by means of some grindstone, perhaps even one that you have to activate, but would prevent you from having to load and unload your inventory every 20 seconds? That'd be awesome. One that requires 95 carp or masonry? Just no. That's not a high barrier of entry, that's insanely prohibitively high, as in, you can work your ass off for 2 months, make more bricks than you would ever be able to use, build your entire castle, your city, have everything built you wanted bricks for, and still not meet the requirement for this. 

95carp/mason makes it pointless.