Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

texture stretching change

So as beautiful as wurm is, there is one thing that I always find horribly distracting and that is texture stretching.  What if we could make new textures that would be longer and would effectively unroll or roll up like a scroll, as the tile gets taller and shorter.  If not that, then maybe different textures at different milestones? Flat, 20, 40, 80, 160, 300?

Here is a throwback to my creepy "cobwebby dirt turned into ghosts" pic from Halloween...  Doesn't look like the artists intended.

SpiritTemplarssouls_zps84fa11ee.jpg

Not sure how feasible this is on the programming aspect of things, but it would sure make things look nicer!

+1

Once again leads to having to load a huge number of textures and cause massive issues. Think of all the different slopes you have in your area, having to load completely different models for them leads to less performance.

-1 it's not that bad

A way smarter way to go about it would be very tiny textures that could be repeated endlessly. It's how most other applications handle the stress of big texture sizes, but I'm sure that implementing that in a game where people crash left and right because of server polling is a challenge all on its own.

Once again leads to having to load a huge number of textures and cause massive issues. Think of all the different slopes you have in your area, having to load completely different models for them leads to less performance.

-1 it's not that bad

I would expect the server related load would be the graphics.jar download, for the client to get the new textures and done.  Rest of the new load would be shouldered by the client and the client isn't a huge demand on resources, except when travelling for long distances on high graphics.  I bet they could even make the texture quality settings a choice in the client.

In fact, many MMOs I have played have given an option for choosing to download either the standard graphics package or the High Quality package and specify what machine specs are needed to run HQ pack.

There are days when I run a ton of clients all in really low QL graphics, then I have days when I am just playing my main and I want to experience wurm in it's best possible appearance

I agree with Aeris, it seems that most other games use tiling to repeat textures over uneven surfaces. Doing so in Wurm could have the unintended consequence of obscuring the boundaries between game tiles.

I agree with Aeris, it seems that most other games use tiling to repeat textures over uneven surfaces. Doing so in Wurm could have the unintended consequence of obscuring the boundaries between game tiles.

and in turn just make it even nicer

I agree with Aeris, it seems that most other games use tiling to repeat textures over uneven surfaces. Doing so in Wurm could have the unintended consequence of obscuring the boundaries between game tiles

Well, when you hover mouse over tiles and borders, they get a blue outline, so I don't see any visibility issues.