Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Equality of tile corners & sides + type dominance

I have a land bridge, both sides dropping into the water. I can pave the wet east side, but not the wet west side.

I have a patch of tar.  I can plant a hedge along the east side, but not the west side.

I have a plot of wet dirt where I want to plant reeds... have to have the west side at between 1-4 deep, but the east side doesn't matter.

I can only level or flatten tiles if trees or pacement are a certain location to my work.

So many little things like this that tie into a specific tile corner, but the rule does not apply to the other corners.

Suggestion: Give equal properties to all tile corners or sides, rather than having a dominant corner or side.

How would this work when deciding to dig clay or dirt, on the border of the two? Simple, just make the tile types have dominance.  Dirt would have to be dominant over clay, allowing us to gain just a little more ground against that evil clay.

Stone over dirt, allowing for surface mining on a dirt/stone border.

Pavement over dirt, requiring the removal of pavement for any dirt lowering or raising - seriously, anyone else thing raising or lowering a paved road ever made sense, without first tearing it up?

Paving any wet tile that has any corner above water.

Digging and adding dirt regardless of how many trees are around it.

Etc.

What else am I missing that seems to have a senseless connection to a specific tile corner or edge?

• Like 1

it's marked by the NW corner as that is how the tile is identified. The server needs to know the tile co-ordinates and thus uses the NW axis.

been a bit demanding lately, havent you

it's marked by the NW corner as that is how the tile is identified. The server needs to know the tile co-ordinates and thus uses the NW axis.

been a bit demanding lately, havent you

yes, I have been a bit "suggestive".  This thread is here for a reason and CC/Rolf/Devs actually want to know what ideas we have to improve the game.  I leave it up to them to take an idea and do something with it.

• Like 1

+1 very good suggestions - would lead to some consistency - and oh wouldn't it be nice to dirt over excessive clay tiles... :D

my thinking of dirt dominance over clay was along the lines of what you get when you dig the borders between the two.  So the clay would still be impossible to be rid of, but you could teraform a little better, around the edges of the clay, regardless of which side you are standing on.

+1, tile handling is one of the most counterintuitive things in Wurm, this should be changed.

so this would mean that places with 1 lonely clay tile woul be useless? because youll always get dirt from that?

so this would mean that places with 1 lonely clay tile woul be useless? because youll always get dirt from that?

are there solo clay tiles?  I honestly have never seen one.  Tar also.  Always seen Tar in 2x to 3x wide patches.  But yes, in this scenario, that would make the solo clay just a grey spot, unless the way this get's implimented would add a center of tile zone.

As Warlander says, very counterintuitive.  I struggled so much with the wurm logic around this and even today, I still make huge mistakes in some of my projects.  Sometimes they are completely unrecoverable mistakes.

It could be as simple as this... if standing on the clay tile, you dig clay, regardless of which corner you are close to.  Same for Tar.  If standing on the dirt tile next to clay, the closest corner drops.  That can't be that hard, right?

I think game immersion will be easier for new players, if less wurm logic gets in their way.

+1 early on ya making the server check the nw corner of a tile as reference was a quick and simple way to make the world work together but now its time to actually fix it so that every border is equal sure coding wise it could stay similar but make it so that weird things like explained in the op just dont happen anymore it go a long way to actually polishing aspects of wurm that tend to be ignored and thrown up to wogic

• Like 1

It would be nice if working with tiles functioned as you have suggested Wurmhole but apparently there is some necessary reason that they are programmed otherwise. What that would be I have no idea.

The main situation I run into is when planting hedges around a waters edge. Some sides will plant fine and others be "too wet". For this reason alone I would like all edges/sides to be applicable/plantable per your suggestion. So I agree it is a good one if it can easily be programmed that way.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I think much of the wurm logic is a result of the mad rush in early days, just to go live with the code.  Games/apps get released this way, with the intent to go back and "do it right", but rather than getting it recoded quickly, it just gets added onto and buried in all the new content projects.

I can only imagine how well things could perform if a year was dedicated to repairing/imping the core code, rather than skilling on new crafts (bridges, Challenge, jewels, etc.)

It isn't like we don't enjoy the new stuff, but if I have an old Chevy 69 Camaro, with rusty paint and an engine that barely runs, first thing I want is an engine overhaul, not a few fun stickers to put on the rusty spots...

Edited by Wurmhole

you mean like what he did before the fighting/priest overhaul back then it was nothing but bug fixes no new content added for several months i hope that at 1 point in time rolf goes back to that mindset and just works his behind off to fix everything broken and optimize everything as much as possible

• Like 1

+1  also for planting deeds, you can deed a tile next to a house or not depending which boarder the house wall is on.