Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 4

My preference would be to have Wurmpedia updated, but maybe because thats because I am an old wurm fart:)

Both are good and should be updated, but I prefer Wurmpedia myself. It might see more updates if we didn't have to go through someone to create an account. Admins can easily protect important pages to prevent malicious edits.

• Like 1

the first hunt is going to take place on deliverance... we have the potential to do them on any and all servers. (i'm personally not sure there would be much point to a hunt on challenge however, with the limited duration of that server type and the gameplay there it would seem to be an un-needed feature for challenge)

There are some ideas being tossed about for chaos and epic hunts, the hunts however are a GM TEAM creation using existing tools and assets that are already in game. (in other words, minimal to no coding time needed from either client or server devs)

As a result, we decided to start somewhere that we can get the details sorted without the variables of PvP being added as well as to allow everyone to try the first one. (for instance, no participants will be ambushed and killed in this hunt, unless its done by a critter)

• Like 3

Sounds good overall, will be interesting to see how it goes.

How about some word on the logging into our challenge toons to get our money. That is more important than the server coming back up.

Treasure.png

Tales of a treasure that will be the first of its kind has been heard from behind closed doors.

An ancient text has been revealed which hints that its last known location is somewhere on the legendary Island of Deliverance.

A wise man is rumored to be heading to the lands of Wurm.

He is said to have new information which might lead to the treasure finally being found.

Though his arrival date is still unknown, if winds be fair we shall soon know some of his secrets.

Well from most of the people NOT on deliverance, specially those that have to go across Xanadu to get there: Thanks Dev team, you're so freaking thoughtful, next time keep the treasure hunt for yourselves. Either make one per server, or don't at all... Forcing people to travel for 8 hours on a good wind DOES NOT a fun event make.

Well from most of the people NOT on deliverance, specially those that have to go across Xanadu to get there: Thanks Dev team, you're so freaking thoughtful, next time keep the treasure hunt for yourselves. Either make one per server, or don't at all... Forcing people to travel for 8 hours on a good wind DOES NOT a fun event make.

Who said the hunt stops on Deli? It might be just the first step...

Let's not practice divination. This may just be the first step and the mystery may lead to a completely different place. Also, this looks like this is just the first treasure hunt, so who knows what servers will be involved in the next ones. Even if this doesn't happen to end up in your neighborhood, the next one may just be around the corner of your deed. You never know!

Let's give this a chance. It may lead to a lot of great adventures, all over different servers.

Edited by Valdor

Make an alt then. Skip the tutorial and you can be anywhere on Deli in 30 mins on foot. Not difficult.  :rolleyes:

Kane, the dev team has nothing to do with organizing the hunts, as i mentioned above they are a GM team creation.  We selected deliverance because we wanted one of the smaller servers for the first one to keep the possible boundaries small, and deli is where xanadu and chaos connect to the servers in the middle. 

The intent is for 1 per month, and different servers each time. 

In the future, crossing servers may be part of them as well, that remains to be seen. 

This is in the nature of a trial run, and the events will improve as time passes.

• Like 2

Kane, the dev team has nothing to do with organizing the hunts, as i mentioned above they are a GM team creation.  We selected deliverance because we wanted one of the smaller servers for the first one to keep the possible boundaries small, and deli is where xanadu and chaos connect to the servers in the middle. 

The intent is for 1 per month, and different servers each time. 

In the future, crossing servers may be part of them as well, that remains to be seen. 

This is in the nature of a trial run, and the events will improve as time passes.

In a way, for me, that's worse... I imagined this was a new "feature" from the info on the dev updates posts (granted, lately i haven't been playing, don't have the time, so i'm out of sorts with what's what), not back to some community organized event.

I was under the impression that the main reason for the enclusore rules to be removed was for GMs to have less workload, now you're hosting events... I guess its cool that you're doing them, but honestly, given my past experience with some of the GM staff, its the worse possible news.

• Like 1

You know that's an interesting point raised, I have been specificly told "gm's don't have time to babysit community events". Apparently now they do.

• Like 1

Very encouraging news about  bridges.. that is great.

But I do wonder about the new bling, .. what is the point in having any of this .. we cannot see any bling or hats or anything really that we wear unless we go to character window.

Might matter more if we could see our toons in game.

Very encouraging news about  bridges.. that is great.

But I do wonder about the new bling, .. what is the point in having any of this .. we cannot see any bling or hats or anything really that we wear unless we go to character window.

Might matter more if we could see our toons in game.

Look down.

Look down.

This.

Also, I sort of "role play" my avatar and put him in clothing that I think he would wear. I generally run around with a cloth shirt, cloth pants, studded boots and a blue foresters hat. I suppose it's a little something to make me look more unique.

The more options, the better :)

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 1

Granted weight affecting dodge/bash could have been done on the test server; however, how many people when testing with pre-conceived notions would have intentionally hunted down a chicken and tried shield-bashing it?

I'll even be willing to bet actual money that someone came across it accidentally while just roaming around whacking whatever moved, and word spread.

Some testing is just faster when released live, especially the "small" features. Although, there's the Butterfly Effect... or do we call it the Chicken Effect now?  :P

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Granted weight affecting dodge/bash could have been done on the test server; however, how many people when testing with pre-conceived notions would have intentionally hunted down a chicken and tried shield-bashing it?

I'll even be willing to bet actual money that someone came across it accidentally while just roaming around whacking whatever moved, and word spread.

Some testing is just faster when released live, especially the "small" features. Although, there's the Butterfly Effect... or do we call it the Chicken Effect now?  :P

Well I went on the test server to try to figure out the change, which happens to have ~30+ chicks at the spawn.

It was great to discover that they roll .01-.3 and need to roll over 1.666 to fail to dodge.

• Like 1

been playing for a little over a year now, i have never used the Book of Wisdom, so i would rather have more focus on the Wiki then the book in-game. I find the book a bit useless and always use the wiki.

• Like 1

Well I went on the test server to try to figure out the change, which happens to have ~30+ chicks at the spawn.

It was great to discover that they roll .01-.3 and need to roll over 1.666 to fail to dodge.

Wow, Im lucky if I can even see another player on test half the time, let alone animals around the various spawn points.

Wonder if a GM was on doing something or some such.

wurmpedia would always be better, better display, more information, pictures, links etc. a good wikipedia is the best option IMO.

• Like 5

Great update as usual. Honestly tho the book of wisdom should have more focus. You can scream and shout at new players to look at the forums and wurmpedia. But I know I never did (I never asked questions either) and I only stuck wurm out the second time around. An in game pop up is more reliable than hoping a newbie finds the wurmpedia or listens to people telling them to go there.

wiki will continue to be a mess. best enhance the book of wisdom and keep it dev access only.

wiki can continue to be player driven, and possibly get phased out eventually if the BoW keeps acquiring knowledge. :)

I like the part where you actually posted some news... Oh wait, we know all this already.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be here today without the Wurmpedia. Or have this tattoo.

• Like 2

I also wouldn't have stuck around without the wurmpedia, big thanks to the people that maintain it!

• Like 3