Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 4

LssNW4L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

Welcome back, to this here my little news shack.

Some pretty good stuff on the menu today.

All of which id like to share in the usual way.

Plenty to read and maybe some clues.

So lets just

Share some News!

Bridges

bridgepic.jpg

I first want to mention we are adding a new hold animation for range pole and pole positioning.

And finally some positive news about bridges!

There has been progress where we have added some fixes to movement between bridges and houses as well as movement on and off bridges.

Our developers are hopeful this will resolve many of the earlier problems.

So there might soon be an update on the test server where we will hold a new round of public testing.

It is looking promising!

Performance and Graphics Engine

The performance issues we experienced has been stabilized for the moment and we are looking further into addressing some of the older issues.

Going hand in hand with this endeavor is the work on our engine.

Some of you might remember we have an expert consultant working on the broader overall performance, effectivity and quality of our graphics engine.

None of his work has yet been implemented on live as it will be rolled out as a major update rather than increments.

This is simply because of the fact that the changes are pretty major and connected to each other which means they would not be compatible with the old code.

There is currently no estimated time for when we can expect his first major update and migrate to the new code.

Book of Wisdom

I have been adding some further entries to the Book of Wisdom interface which are going live with an update soon.

I would like to ask you wurmians, especially those of you who are of the newer variation.

What do you think of the book of wisdom and how would you like to change it to be as usable as possible?

Would it in a more complete version be preferable to wurmpedia or is it better to get wurmpedia more updated?

Treasure.png

Tales of a treasure that will be the first of its kind has been heard from behind closed doors.

An ancient text has been revealed which hints that its last known location is somewhere on the legendary Island of Deliverance.

A wise man is rumored to be heading to the lands of Wurm.

He is said to have new information which might lead to the treasure finally being found.

Though his arrival date is still unknown, if winds be fair we shall soon know some of his secrets.

Collision system

Hand in hand with getting bridges working well is the development of the collision system.

This is of course the system that decides which surfaces are solid and what you are able to pass through.

It is very complex in a setting such as Wurm online but I am not going to go into too much detail on that at this time.

What is truly worth mentioning here is the fact that it will address many of the older issues like for example getting stuck in walls after extreme maneuvers and clipping through caves etc.

This and also the basis for introducing the new boats which needs this new system to work as intended.

Custom maps

Emil our art director, aka “Wox†has been working on creating custom maps.

When I say maps, I mean the map which decides how the island which you play on looks like.

In other words "World Building" as we say in game development.

This was mostly sparked by our previous plans on making Challenge maps more like for example starcraft maps.

In other words more plain leveled playing field with equal starting points and specifically placed points of strategic interest.

This required a higher level of control then have had previously but his initial maps are looking pretty great actually.

I do however not have any wip shots at the moment.

Medieval Bling!

Many have been enjoying the addition of necklaces and rings visibly showing on your player character.

Seldom has Wurm been so fabulous.

But why stop there?

There is more additions heading into the game such as this sparkly necklace.

Bling3.jpg

Other than that, we are working on adding proper support for bracelets.

So hey, just check them out first.

Bracelets2.jpg

They would need a new inventory equip slot to be combinable with current equipment.

So after that and some final adjustments there will be even more bling.

Never a bad thing!

That is it for this weeks news Wurmians!

Hang around and leave a comment.

But after that it is surely about time you

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 26

EY, CHALLENGE INFORMATION? CANT LEAVE US HANGING LIKE THIS

EY, CHALLENGE INFORMATION? CANT LEAVE US HANGING LIKE THIS

Sorry, as I said last week there are still things we are working on.

I will let you know as soon as we are done as promised.

• Like 2

Will the collisions changes allow our led creatures to clip through walls instead of the current problem where they stop being led? Will mines (especially boat mines) be fixed? By "clipping through caves", do you mean looking through the walls?

Will PvP be getting any major overhauls through community feedback as opposed to the current band-aid patches and throw something on test for a couple days?

I liked the way you worded the treasure hunt aspect..enough to bait us in and entice and not an ounce more.  rummaging my satchel for spy glass now

When it comes to the book of wisdom, I'd really like to also see the skill requirements to start/create an object.
Sometimes it does not say how much an item need to weigh, for example it says one leather but not that it needs to be bigger than 3 kg.

• Like 1

What is truly worth mentioning here is the fact that it will address many of the older issues like for example getting stuck in walls after extreme maneuvers and clipping through caves etc.

Will that mean you will no longer be able to look through cave walls and see where other tunnels are?  It will be very unfortunate if this change prevents us from seeing other tunnels and denies us the ability to "line-up" two tunnels on all three axes, x,y & z.  Granted its probably not an intended feature the way it works now so maybe you could implement a tool that lets you look through cave walls so we know whether to mine forward, up, or down to fix a collapse for instance.  Another suggestion if you will no longer be able to see nearby tunnels, have cave error messages instruct you how to best connect 2 tunnels, e.g. "if you mine down the tunnels will connect with a walkable slope"

Edited by madnezz

Book of Wisdom.... What is this?  I can't find a key bind or place in settings to bring it up.  Also, nothing in wiki that I can see.  This is a new feature coming soon? I feel silly, not knowing that this exists somewhere.

looking at the banner of this weeks news update i noticed 4 guard towers withing close proximity. Does this mean we will get some sort of tower-like buildings we can make  or is this a "fake" picture?

• Like 2

My mistake, I thought he meant the reciepts...

What he means is the little thingy that shows exclamation  mark sometimes, like a small tutorial.
Has a symbol of a book on it.

Edited by Cecci

Will that mean you will no longer be able to look through cave walls and see where other tunnels are?  It will be very unfortunate if this change prevents us from seeing other tunnels and denies us the ability to "line-up" two tunnels on all three axes, x,y & z.  Granted its probably not an intended feature the way it works now so maybe you could implement a tool that lets you look through cave walls so we know whether to mine forward, up, or down to fix a collapse for instance.

we would at a minimum need an additional skill for miners: survey.  Honestly, I have no idea how collisions are going to work in caves.  For goodness sakes, how will we turn horse led carts and wagons?

@ Madnezz That's a bad thing for PvP though. You are supposed to use pendulums, locates, and local lists to know if people are near you. You are not supposed to be able to hop into a mine and look through the walls by setting cave detail or medium or high and clipping through them. There are many problems with that, yet everyone does it because it's so useful.

It can't legitimately be moderated or deemed bannable (almost every player in the entire game would be banned) even though it is technically an exploit (though so are dirt walls and fountain containers), is impossible to prove without video footage or screenshots...

Think of it as Small Trees that can't get you banned and is impossible to prove through in game measures. It puts you at a huge disadvantage if you don't use it, and it increases your vision beyond what is intended. It also is included in the game. [Change language to past tense for Small Trees]

Edited by SotG_is_OP

Book of Wisdom.... What is this?  I can't find a key bind or place in settings to bring it up.  Also, nothing in wiki that I can see.  This is a new feature coming soon? I feel silly, not knowing that this exists somewhere.

In game, open main menu, toggle notification.  At the bottom of that window is the Book of Wisdom.

• Like 1

My mistake, I thought he meant the reciepts...

What he means is the little thingy that shows exclamation  mark sometimes, like a small tutorial.

Has a symbol of a book on it.

ah! I hide it on every new character :(

we would at a minimum need an additional skill for miners: survey.  Honestly, I have no idea how collisions are going to work in caves.  For goodness sakes, how will we turn horse led carts and wagons?

Time to donut the mine I think...

My preference would be to have Wurmpedia updated, but maybe because thats because I am an old wurm fart:)

My preference would be to have Wurmpedia updated, but maybe because thats because I am an old wurm fart:)

I'd say both.  Unless the book of wisdom includes player added tips, tricks and guides, the Wurmpedia will never lose it's place as the #1 resource for Wurm.

• Like 1

at least we get some fun with broken patches and things we dont want. Whats up ? still sylvester and you guys are drunk or what ?! Thats how i call a superb costumer support (you know that we pay for this game ? ^^)

Ah RedBaron, I see you are becoming more poetically refined within your opening introduction. Nicely done, as the lower castes within our realm could always use a more cultured environment to wash away the daily grime remaining from their grinding tendencies.

With that said, I bid you good day, with no more delay and follow the way before me.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Treasure.png

Tales of a treasure that will be the first of its kind has been heard from behind closed doors.

An ancient text has been revealed which hints that its last known location is somewhere on the legendary Island of Deliverance.

A wise man is rumored to be heading to the lands of Wurm.

He is said to have new information which might lead to the treasure finally being found.

Though his arrival date is still unknown, if winds be fair we shall soon know some of his secrets.

What does this mean for epic, is treasure hunting only going to be freedom????

Any chance well get options for hedge graphics? Or are we stuck with what we have for the foreseeable future?

• Like 1

Oh. Thought we'd be getting gemstone embedded jewelry. I guess not

Direct answer, please..... 

Will ships still be able to use canal tunnels?