Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Shield Bashing tweak

REVERT - just spent about 30 minutes (not joking) trying to kill a rat - i gave up - didnt get one single hit in against him and my skills in fighting are in the 70+ range?

If this stays, time to find a game where i can kill things in frustration, instead of being frustrated at not being able to kill things!

The bashing seems to make sense and dodging for being overburdened with stuff, but NOT the body fat. 

UNLESS...

You change the whole FAT thing:  Make people FAT when they don't move from the same tile for a day or week or whatever time makes sense.  But if a character is staying well fed, refreshed, etc, but out mining all day, moving mountains, fighting, etc, there is no way you can consider them too chubby to dodge.  This is so senseless.

Fix it.

+1

Drop everything in ur inv, onyl carry weapon and shield, fight guy in plate, win.

• Like 1

Drop everything in ur inv, onyl carry weapon and shield, fight guy in plate, win.

Except people have apparently lost their ability to dodge completely.

Wait... we have to lose our body fat now!?

Being fully fat use to be a good thing....

• Like 1

These changes are pretty random and unnecessary, please revert.

Fixing things like animal spawns / animals hanging out on cliff sides would be cool.

• Like 5

I thought this was a game, not Diet Online :(

Edited by Docterchese

The last update seems to have bugged out fighting in a major way.

Personally the idea of having nutrition levels or fat impact gameplay more than just skillgain is interesting; though, atm the impact is a bit much, assuming anyways that skinny chickens becoming invincible warriors is unintended.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I think this is meant to work as a bash vs dodge system now. If you are wearing heavy stuff and are fat, you won't doge as well, but you will be harder to bash successfully. If you are light and skinny, a bash will break your nose, but you dodge better now to avoid it.

On a RL comparison level, that actually seems realistic :)

• Like 1

70+ Shield bashing vs 30+ body control

Tried 6 times not sparring just fighting.

[06:29:29] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

[06:29:45] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

[06:30:05] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

[06:30:25] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

[06:30:44] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

[06:31:05] Toplel swiftly dodges your shield.

BTW - Dodge is broken on Small creatures.

70 FS Char trying to kill a Hen.

e695def62f.png 

He also seen a Chicken fighting 2 x trolls and a wild boar. Dodged all hits LIKE A BOSSSSSSS

"ROLF  Should we test this on the test server first? or just go live?"

{-_-}

• Like 4

Weird updates.

Absolutely random.

Please revert.

This only makes already tough armour types like drake and scale stronger since they are so low weight.

WTF  who found that needed?    revert as it was, and DO WORK WITH BRIDGES, staircases and other what is needed!

• Like 7

The last update seems to have bugged out fighting in a major way.

Personally the idea of having nutrition levels or fat impact gameplay more than just skillgain is interesting; though, atm the impact is a bit much, assuming anyways that skinny chickens becoming invincible warriors is unintended.

Since my pickaxe and hatchet are not exercise, can we craft a bowflex?

I think this is meant to work as a bash vs dodge system now. If you are wearing heavy stuff and are fat, you won't doge as well, but you will be harder to bash successfully. If you are light and skinny, a bash will break your nose, but you dodge better now to avoid it.

On a RL comparison level, that actually seems realistic :)

LOL I highlighted that word because it's not the reality of how it is working.

Has anyone dodged anything as a player since the patch, cant seem to dodge anything on the test server.

Yes and no. I have but not in a traditional sense. I tested on a pig. I could hit the pig and the pig could hit me. I no-target the pig and targeted a horse across the field. Once I did this, the dodge party started with the pig maybe lightly slapping me one in 100 attacks. I was also no longer able to successfully bash a chicken. Chicken bashing is fun stuff, you know.

If this is an intended fix to keep you from dying from, let's say, you were fight a mob you ran from and still had that mob targeted and a new mob is now attacking you but can't hit you because you are not actively fighting it... even so, it's not a good thing.

I was not brave enough to try it on a troll, however. I have a pretty good idea he would wallop me without me fighting back.

EDIT: This was also done without a weapon. It doesn't take me much to kill a pig or chicken when I land a hit.

Edited by Audrel

Devs, I appreciate all the work you guys put into this game. I really do, sincerely. The constant updates and new content is fantastic. I'm truly grateful that you, and Rolf, care for and look after this wonderful game that some (most?) of us consider a second home.

With that being said...

Please revert the dodging thing.

Having high nutrition should not come with a penalty, especially if the penalty is in the form of breaking mobs, making chickens, rats and other critters undefeatable. Even if one were to ignore that this is breaking combat, this change affects so much more: anyone who grinded Hot Food Cooking, anyone playing a Fo priest using the Refresh spell, anyone following the Path of Love with their ability to Refresh, and, of course, sacrificing rares to get a refresh.

Not to mention that, as other people already have mentioned, having high nutrition gives perks such as bonus skillgain and faster healing, while having low nutrition gives penalties to those things. Which makes sense, because this is a game where having higher skills will make life a lot easier for you, thus one can grind Hot Food Cooking and make nice meals which raise nutrition. All along high nutrition has been something to strive for, and now suddenly there's this huge penalty to it?

As for the "dodging is easier while weighing less" thing... As someone else also mentioned, this makes scale and drake armor even more overpowered, and adds an even greater penalty to the already penalized plate armor. And, of course, it seems to make chickens immortal as well, which is...just not right.

Please revert.

Edited by Sia
  • Like 4

This whole update is stupid. Revert the entire thing.

We all have to be anorexic to fight now.

Edited by Rudie

I have 10% nutrition for days now.

[03:49:13] She is very strong and has a good reserve of fat.

Arent we all equal when we attack eachother fat wise? i dont understand whats the problem 

I don't see so much changing, reading your comments seems like the world is falling apart, poor guy that is "not going to log until this is reverted". I attacked a troll today both with bow and large axe, the troll I killed with the bow needed as many arrows as before, maybe even less. Then the troll I killed with the axe was still as strong, not much change there, both the trolls died (even was on defensive when killing the troll). I attacked a cat, killed that one in two blows. My nutrition is about 80. I bashed some things today and this time I got no skills from the bashing, normally I get some but not always. Bashing is not so very high so maybe it was just normal and me being unlucky.

It's not nutrition percentage.

You would need to fast a bunch in order to lose your layers of fat.

Go find a pheasant or chicken to fight ;)

If this stays in effect, they may be the prefered tanks for unique fights now. :D

Sign in to follow this