Sign in to follow this  
pd

Stay off my lawn!

People are interesting.

I recently returned after a long absence from Wurm and decided to make a home on Xanadu.  I really wanted a mountain top deed this time around and a friend showed me a recently disbanded deed a top a nice mountain.  It’s roughly 3k dirt/slope above the water level with very nice views.

When I first arrived there wasn’t much there except for a bed, 2 large carts, and a few bsbs.  All the buildings were gone.  There were no roads into or out of the area.   There was a fair bit of terraforming already done.  It was a neat place so I set down a deed.  

There was one deed to the south, and that is owned by the friend who showed me the spot.  The only other deed in the area is NW of me.  Going diagonally it’s roughly 110 tiles from deed border to deed border.

I put down my deed in early November and I had never once seen anyone at the deed NW of me log in.  When I would stop by the deed it was teaming with hell hounds, all their off deed structures (like fences) had rotted, and many of their penned animals were dead.  Some of the buildings were started but never completed.  Thus I figured the person(s) had quit since they didn’t appear to be playing any longer.

Since placing my deed a friend placed another deed due west of me.  He put it down at the water level creating a boat dock for us.  This deed is greater than 80 tiles deed-edge-to-deed-edge from the seemingly abandoned deed to the NW.  

He placed the deed on what was a very small leveled spot (by small i mean a handful of tiles) and a 1-tile wide tunnel with no mine door.  This tunnel started up the inside of the mountain due west of my deed.  It was full of critters, switchbacks, and collapsed tiles when we explored it.  There were also spots where you nearly had to climb to get further up due to the poorly planned mining.

At the top of the tunnel was an exit with a 1x1 wood shed, a large cart with about 25 damage, a forge, and 3 bsbs.  I knew who owned the cart by examining it, and that match the signature on the bsbs.  I assumed that the 1x1 shed was also his since the cart was in a pen attached to the shed.

To this day I have never seen this person in my local.

We eventually decided to build a tunnel all the way from my friends new deed at the water to the top of the mountain to my deed.  As part of this new tunnel we reused the 20 or so tiles that were part of the dilapidated mine.  With the help of friends we made a tunnel 166 tiles long, 3-tiles wide, with fully reinforced walls and floors.  Lastly my friend Roysta manicured all of the ceiling tiles to give it a very finished look.  It’s very impressive.  

We excavated more than 25,000 shards not including sloping the floors and finishing the ceiling.  In addition the tunnel contains 42 ore veins.  It was a huge undertaking and i’m happy with the accomplishment.

Then a few days ago (about 2.5 months after placing my deed) someone shows up in my local.  He says he’s from the deed to the NW.  He says they’ve been playing on another server all this time.  I offer to add them to the mine doors so they can have access and that’s the end of the conversation.

The deed to the NW is on a plateau in somewhat of a bowl.  We have a mine door that opens to this plateau that gave them excellent access from their deed. Once in the tunnel they can go down to the docks we’ve built or continue up to the top of the mountain where I have built roads connecting all the way back to Glass Hollow.

Yesterday I see the guy from the NW deed again in my local.  I wandered down the mine and encounter him and another villager of his in the tunnel one driving a large cart the other a wagon.  There’s a small part of the 166-tile mine that sits in between the two deeds that is covered by neither.  

This section contained the bsbs and the forge that I found when I arrived.  I had since filled two of the bsbs with shards from the mining project so they wouldn't rot.  The third bsb had about 60kg of quality ~13 gold ore I had mined.  I arrived just as they were finishing loading up all my stuff and were carting it off.  They also took some frying pans, nails, and a small water barrel.  

Perplexed as to why he felt the need to take a bunch of stuff I messaged him.  First he denied taking anything, but then says “if you want to keep things, put them in a locked bsb or on deed.â€

He said “we've been here since day 1 and that tunnel is not yours, you may have expanded it and use it, but its not yours by a long shot.†He follows it up with “so you can take your flimsy ownership over a tunnel you appropriated after the last guy abandoned it, and either deed it, or stop whining.â€

I don’t care about the stuff.  Just the day before I loaded up one players boat with 2.4k of nice quality shards just so they wouldn't go to waste.  I would have happily given them the shards had they asked.

What is really astonishing I remember both of these players from gold 1.  They aren't newbies.  Yet they feel justified carting off a bunch of stuff since I “stole†a mine tunnel located more than 80 tiles off their deed and feel I've wrongly invaded “their†area. I guess they want me off the lawn.  I would have expected better of veteran players.

A friend of mine points out that the social aspects of wurm can actually be the most challenging part of the game at times.  I think he’s onto something.

• Like 4

Never assume a deed is abandoned simply because it's decaying.  As long as there is upkeep it's considered alive and owned by someone.

The turn of events are very typical and not uncommon, although he was right from his quote of "locked bsb or on deed" as the general rule of thumb is that unless it's deeded, it's free game.

I'm guessing that you're just wanting to let off steam, so my suggestion is to try to have a conversation with the other players in question.  More often than not people are willing to talk and you can often create a nice friendship through it.

Best of luck!

If he's not playing there for 2 or so months and shows up talking smack ignore em and yeah you are going to run into this type of player who thinks they own everything even when its not their deed.  As far as stuff you have not on deed....you will learn that where there is a will there is a way and as soon as someone figures out there are freebees laying around they will take them.  I would monitor this guy for revenge actions as you might see some from a player who comes around once in a couple months trying to tell you how to play.

I have had similar problems. Lately i made a deed on Deli near the place i started more then a year ago. The same people where there still with the same deeds. With exception of one deed, that had been disbanded. I contacted the person whos deed it was before and he gave me told me to go for it. The old deed area had some fences and a really old player from that area had fenced up a big area " a private hunting ground". That deed was inside that area. I told him, ill make a deed over the old deed area. In a few weeks i saw that the area is really small and expanded (undeeded areas around me didn´t think it was a problem).

Contacting the person who had walled in the area and explaining that i would like a sure way out of there (fenced in areas are not that fun if you have no sure way out except a house built by someone else) i was told that i had done something very bad, i had misused the persons trust and it was a mistake ever agreeing of letting me in that area. And that is a person i had done alot of business from the first day, been neighbour from day 1 and stood up if anyone said anything bad against him.

As i really didn´t want to live next to a person like that i just moved, locking everything, leaving every house and bsb there with locks (i make 70ql+ stuff, so  it will take alot of time to rot.)

I sometimes lose lost in Wurm community when some people think they have a right to areas, resources. If he had planted a deed - ofc he would have had a right for it.

Then i got back to Chaos and felt so free, there will never be a problem like this. I have lived on freedom islands (mainly Deli and a little on Indy), but never had a problem like this before. I am 100% sure there will be 0 problems like this on Chaos (if enemy does not deed next to you ofc xD)

being unable able to pick up your arrows from a mobs corpse because you shot it and it ran on someone's deed is something that really files a tooth off one of your gears

Edited by moooose

overall i think the wurm community has been and is exceptional , giving, and friendly.  yet along the way there are always that small few who either get their jollies  playing within the rules and sometimes not dancing the margin to take advantage of situations.  To each their own play style yet the outcome is often people get disinheartened to play or get jaded from such rudeness.  It can be discouraging yet this often represents a small portion of players.  Keep being as you are, you sound like an enthusiastic fun player that's out to enjoy and share and grow.

The very best thing to do is keep being as you are and like minded energy and players will flow around you and build the rich playing experience that wurm has to offer.  there will always be those who's goals are to take vs give and find short cuts and lack consideration usually for the sole gain of economic gain or displeasure to the other.  true schadenfreudes.  

sorry for your misadventures.  a favorite poem of mine is called desiderata...Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons........

• Like 2

looks like you found some real tools there, perhaps remind them that they should have deeded said tunnel if they wanted to own it...

Or even easier, add them to your ignore list and move on, no point stressing yourself over a few ignorant fools.

people like to talk lot of how chaos is for pvp but you can make coal piles at the same place where you cut trees offdeed and thieves usually get taken care of by means other than game mechanics.

Edited by moooose

When I make areas off deed that I intend for personal use I always make hq stone fences, hq stone buildings and lock everything fully expecting some narcissistic fool to come along and deed over my work without caring about what I am doing. At least by making hq stone buildings all they can do is lay a perimeter over them and then have to wait a very long time before they can lay a village over it. Still, if someone has gone to all of the work to improve and fence an area to make it usable you would think someone else would be civilized enough to leave it the heck alone. But nooooo. We can't do that. Too many noobs and vets alike act like a cross between a donkey and a horse and the south end at that.

My personal rule is this: If someone has gone to the trouble to build a fence around it then it must be special to them whether it's on a deed or not. I should leave them and their special place alone and not ruin their day. Move on cuz there's lots and lots of other places to go.

• Like 1

I have had similar problems. Lately i made a deed on Deli near the place i started more then a year ago. The same people where there still with the same deeds. With exception of one deed, that had been disbanded. I contacted the person whos deed it was before and he gave me told me to go for it. The old deed area had some fences and a really old player from that area had fenced up a big area " a private hunting ground". That deed was inside that area. I told him, ill make a deed over the old deed area. In a few weeks i saw that the area is really small and expanded (undeeded areas around me didn´t think it was a problem).

Contacting the person who had walled in the area and explaining that i would like a sure way out of there (fenced in areas are not that fun if you have no sure way out except a house built by someone else) i was told that i had done something very bad, i had misused the persons trust and it was a mistake ever agreeing of letting me in that area. And that is a person i had done alot of business from the first day, been neighbour from day 1 and stood up if anyone said anything bad against him.

As i really didn´t want to live next to a person like that i just moved, locking everything, leaving every house and bsb there with locks (i make 70ql+ stuff, so  it will take alot of time to rot.)

I sometimes lose lost in Wurm community when some people think they have a right to areas, resources. If he had planted a deed - ofc he would have had a right for it.

Then i got back to Chaos and felt so free, there will never be a problem like this. I have lived on freedom islands (mainly Deli and a little on Indy), but never had a problem like this before. I am 100% sure there will be 0 problems like this on Chaos (if enemy does not deed next to you ofc xD)

I just reread your post. I didn't fully understand at first, now I do. What we have here is a classic example of someone thinking it's ok to deed over an area someone else is clearly using but doesn't have the money to deed. So you think it's ok to ask someone who no longer had a deed there if it was ok to deed over what they no longer had nor cared about. The person you asked actually had no say in anything since they were no longer there and no longer gave a rat's rear. What you did is a classic example of telling someone you really didn't care what they were using something for. You were going to deed it and they had no say in it. You fairly said screw you. So how are you surprised when they replied in like manner? YOU are not the aggrieved party, THEY are. You stole something from them without so much as a by your leave. There are around 100 million tiles in all of Freedom WURM. Behind my deed is a vast unexplored area with no deeds at all. Why do people feel a need to take what others are using and then feel abused when told exactly what they need to be told. Take tiles someone is clearly not using. There are MILLIONS of them.

If you want a deed with no bad neighbors, or no neighbors at all, come to Xanadu. Behind my deed is a vast valley between two ridges that stretches for hundreds of tiles. Maybe more, with no deeds that I know of. On one ridge I can see the Hell Scorpius's at night. Off in the distance at the end of the valley on a ridge is a light that occasionally does a somersault at night. Or better yet, stay away, it's better the way it is right now, wild and beautiful.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

I don;t know any of the area or people. I think you were fine in placing your deed and using the mine tunnel and the shoreline  since they all appeared abandoned. You seem upset because they carted off the BSBs and Forges that were there before you arrived (unknown if they made them, possibly on an alt, or a friend made them) as well as the rock shards and low quality gold ores you had put in them, which were all in an off deed area. Its possible the forge + BSBs were theirs from before, or belonged to a friend, they all seem to be classified as "abandoned" now. The frypan waterbarrel etc that were left in an offdeed section of the mine, are all pretty trivial things.

Frankly if it were me, I would shrug off them taking the offdeed items (some of which were not 'yours' either). They all sound VERY trivial and all you are doing by being cranky, is making it all that much more likely that relationships between the two sides will only get worse and not better. I would write off these very trivial items as "whatever, I guess it was a fair tradeoff for some of the work we appropriated as abandoned, so all is even". We also do not know if there were previous items left in the BSBS and forge that you had removed, and therefore they thought it was fair if they did the same thing. Whether there were or not, is not really that important. 

It is better to stay silent and hope things do not get even worse, than to fan the dissent between the two sides. People do not "cool off" when they are publically brought to task (even if you did not say any names)

Both sides are a little frustrated but capable of getting over it given time.  Give them that time.

Nobody is in the wrong here but it could end up that way if it gets pushed more.

I agree that the social aspects of the game are the most difficult part. For me personally, they are my least favorite part ^_^ though for many they are the "best" part.

People get cranky. People also get over being cranky but it takes time.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I agree that the social aspects of the game are the most difficult part. For me personally, they are my least favorite part ^_^ though for many they are the "best" part.

Actually the social aspects are quite simple and easy to understand. It's following this simple rule that seems to be difficult for people. Maybe it's an upbringing thing. Here it is. If it isn't yours, don't take it.

It doesn't get more simple than that. 

• Like 1

I have always maintained that the most valuable resource in Wurm are neighbors. Items come and go, terrain raises and falls, shorelines change shape, but good neighbors are priceless. Despite all the rare and fantastic items, it is they who make our experience good or bad. It seems that your NW neighbors may be of the latter kind. But don't forget that you have your friend near you and that seems like a GOOD neighbor. Consequently, ignore the rude attitude of your NW neighbors. Any claims they may have had to the tunnel or surrounding area were forfeited by the way they decided to go about them.

• Like 1

Actually the social aspects are quite simple and easy to understand. It's following this simple rule that seems to be difficult for people. Maybe it's an upbringing thing. Here it is. If it isn't yours, don't take it.

It doesn't get more simple than that. 

By the way, this "simple rule" also applies to veteran players who fence off vast areas of community land to be their private hunting preserve.

It isn't yours. Don't take it.

"Some people's upbringing" is that ambitious people have the right to grab as much as they want then invent rules for the rest of the world to respect "their" private property, often land and resources they seized from the community in the past. In this case, it sounds like the property belongs to the guy who deeded it and not the person who set up miles of high-quality fences across vast tracts of public land.  This is why Rolf & GMs removed the old enclosure rule -- a few greedy people were abusing it to claim vast areas of community land "that wasn't theirs". It seemed like a simple rule was good enough until a few exploited the simple rule by deciding "THIS is mine, oh and THAT is mine too, oh and also THIS is mine."    It was intended to protect new players but got misused for the ageold "and the rich get richer" crowd.

Upbringing does indeed make a difference. Unfortunately, no one really agrees on what's proper upbringing when we all see the world only through our own narrow visions. 

Infinitus est numerus stultorum.

"Gives access to cave doors, has his crap stolen, is told to either lock it or lose it."

In short the story is my amusement of this day. (And it was nice read, thank you!)

I would see that incident as very cheap way of knowing the true colors of your neighbor. Afterall, someday in the future you might have been sailing somewhere in middle of nowhere when this neighbor asks you for some bulk item, being a nice person you would then have told them you just added them to this writ called "The Super Awesome Warehouse Of Everything" so they can find the "Bulk stuff" BSB which is located right next to the "100ql vintage pelts and other uniques" BSB... then later on found that your whole warehouse has been licked clean so troughoutly that even dust is gone with message "Protect ur writ or lose ur s&%t."

Your friend is right, and many a money has been sunk into deeding areas out of spite after encounters such as that. ;) I wonder if its intended... hmmm

Deed the ends and reinforce it, hire 5 guards and kos them. problem solved. for now... until they counter with something else...  (That was a just an example, not a suggestion) :D

Frankly if it were me, I would shrug off them taking the offdeed items (some of which were not 'yours' either). They all sound VERY trivial and all you are doing by being cranky, is making it all that much more likely that relationships between the two sides will only get worse and not better. I would write off these very trivial items as "whatever, I guess it was a fair tradeoff for some of the work we appropriated as abandoned, so all is even". We also do not know if there were previous items left in the BSBS and forge that you had removed, and therefore they thought it was fair if they did the same thing. Whether there were or not, is not really that important. 

These same people grief as much as they can, everywhere they go. And we've all reported their actions, and yet they are allowed to go and spread their nasty feelings all over the customers of wurm. I guess all of wurm is supposed to "shrug them off." They do not create "relationships." They wander around looking for any off-deed stuff that a person can't secure, and do their best to kill what's on it, steal from it, and destroy it.

Well i got a song for ya heres the lyrics remade it my self with little editing have to get creds to michael jackson.

They Told Him Don't You Ever Come Around Here

Don't Wanna See Your Face, You Better Disappear

The Fire's In Their Eyes And Their Words Are Really Clear

So Beat It, Just Beat It

You Better Run, You Better Do What You Can

Don't Wanna See No Blood, Don't Be A Macho Man

You Wanna Be Tough, Better Do What You Can

So Beat It, But You Wanna Be Bad

Just Beat It, Beat It, Beat It, Beat It

No One Wants To Be Defeated

Showin' How Funky Strong Is Your Fight

It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Right

Just Beat It, Beat It

Just Beat It, Beat It

Just Beat It, Beat It

Just Beat It, Beat It

They're Out To Get You, Better Leave While You Can

Don't Wanna Be A Boy, You Wanna Be A Man

You Wanna Stay Alive, Better Do What You Can

So Deed It, Just Deed It

You Have To Show Them That You're Really Not Scared

You're Playin' With Your Life, This Ain't No Truth Or Dare

They'll Kick You, Then They Beat You,

Then They'll Tell You It's Fair

So Deed It, But You Wanna Be Bad

Just Deed It, Deed It, Deed It, Deed It

Just Deed It, Deed It, Deed It, Deed It, Deed It

Deed It, Deed It, Deed It, Deed It

It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Who's Right

Just Deed It, Deed It

Deed It, Deed It, Deed It

Didn't read all the responses, but my suggestion is to do exactly as this jerk suggested. If possible slap a token down over the tunnel (preferably overlapping where they enter) and deny them access to the tunnel you have built. At minimum you need to slap a shack over the access-way from the plateau. As long as they can get out another way and you don't mess up an existing highway they can live without accessing the tunnel.