Sign in to follow this  
Malchimus

N Indy Academy is Open

N Indy Academy is dedicated to helping new players learn and enjoy the wonderful world of Wurm.  We are located on the Independence server, right on Lake Collosus in the North East.  Ask for a member of the N Indy Alliance for an invite, or pm Malchimus, Journeya, Lillie or Asdf.  And have fun Wurming.

• Like 6

As part of the Alliance, I must say that you will find no nicer bunch to start your wurming with! Come Join us today!

I am currently thinking of getting back into the game. I have been playing several years ago and with my decaying knowledge I am pretty much back to square one. Work and other commitments also mean that my time to play is fairly limited, so I am looking for an understanding community that will accept me with those constraints. I am not asking you to supply me with materials or anything, all I am looking for is a nice and secure place to settle with some friendly neighbors to have a good time with and maybe get some advice here and there :)

If that sounds like a plan, let me know how to get to you :D

edit: I also just realized that my character is apparently stll where I left him years ago... and I have no idea where that is!

Edited by Andazeus

edit: I also just realized that my character is apparently stll where I left him years ago... and I have no idea where that is!

This happens more often than you think to returning players!  The worst part is, if you explore and die, you have no idea how to recover any of your stuff -- and you probably don;t own anything except what you have on you. You now get ONE free teleport to an inviting village (only one per character, ever), and this would be a perfect time to use it since you don't know where to go.  Journeya and her gang are really good people and I would highly suggest talking to them ingame, because they will get you started on a good footing.  Better to use it now than to find out you died ... someplace?

Otherwise, here is my suggestion for how not to die and lose everything you own

1) Examine the ground and see if there is notice of a village/perimeter. Slowly try to work to a main road and follow it till you find SOME village name, or even better a person in local willing to help you find your way to a "major area"

2) If it is pitch dark out, log off for 40 minutes and wait for daylight, stumbling down a mountain at night is a good way to die.    If you found a village name but there are no people around, Log off before you can die! A hellhound can wreck havoc especially if you have some bruises from exploring rugged terrain. You don;t want to lose the few tools and armor and weapon you still own (assuming most of your stuff has decayed in a disbanded village)

3) Check the community map (or do a word search for the village name on the forums, sometimes that works better). Many villages are not listed however. 

4) If no luck with the map, roll a temp alt, log in and /shout (kingdom chat) Hi, I am just returned to the game but no idea where anything is! My MAIN is logged out next to Dead Goldfish Bay, can anyone help me get to a safe area from there?"

Very often someone will come in a boat or a cart to assist.  I am guessing this is on Indy server, Indy is really friendly to helping  returning players learn their way back into the game (we lost a lot of population to the new server so now we cherish every returning player who comes back)

There is also a thread here you can post at for additional help:

Independence Returning Veteran Rehab Help Thread

But try the Academy first as they might be able to teleport you directly to them, and it is a great place to relearn the game whether you need only a day or few weeks to recall the game,  or want to stay longer term. Also lots of open territory nearby them, so you can later go make a solo homestead of you prefer.

:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for the help everyone and especially Brash!

I was honestly worried at first that Independence might have turned into some kind of 'veteran' place where someone without knowledge would have a difficult time, but I am glad to hear the opposite seems to be the case!

I figured out where I am now... apparently I am in Insanity Hills and it seems I am still even a part of it (I guess I was never thrown out for not playing anymore). And I do have a full set of tools still on me, it seems (20 or so items, even stuff like lantern, compass and a sword). Naturally, I would prefer to keep the stuff. While I could navigate with the compass, the terrain here seems true to the name of the place and I can't even find the exit (I did find a bear on my search though...) so the teleport suggestion sounds like the best course of action indeed.

I'll try to reach someone from the Academy ingame once I am back home this evening :)

Insanity Hills is a great spot to get stranded!! ^_^  Dragonelle is still active there and I am only about 5 minutes away to the east, but I still suggest joining Academy because they are more social and active there which is helpful easing back in.  I went out the road with a cart & horses to see if you were online, I did not see you but chatted with Dragonelle who belongs to the same Village as you (Insanity Hills), and she will also keep an eye out for you.  It's a once active area that you may find too lonely these days, but at least its a good spot to plan out where to go from here, and you have shelter and tools and access to buildings, village resources, and a way to respawn if you die.  

Academy will have more people around on a daily basis, and there is a LOT of stuff to catch up on since you last played!

PS: here is Indy map:  http://wurm.dhcd.co.uk/map/    Insanity Hills is at 23x 17y or so. TO get to Colossus Lake (Academy area), you would take the road southeast and cross Darkenstone Canal then just go due east. 

• If you use a teleport (one time use only when joining a village, can never use it again) , you can take everything that you can hold  in inventory.
  • I can also give you a free horse in case you decide you prefer the adventure of an overland horseback ride. You could also build a large cart and I can give you a pair of horses, if you have too much to hold in inventory and for some reason prefer not to use teleport. 
  • You can also stay in the Insanity hills area, other than being very isolated from other people it probably has anything you need to get back into the game right there. Dragonelle will keep an eye out for you in the village, since you are villagemates!

That route also takes you right through the heart of Llama Country and that's another great option for a returning player

• Like 1

Ah, yes. I think I have seen Dragonelle while I was quickly logging in to check my possessions today before work. Since I am currently at work, I unfortunately cannot play right now.

I have to admit, the idea of the trip does sound tempting. Just a bit scared since I do not remember much of the game and what I need to keep an eye on to make the trip safely and after what I have read about those hell hounds. So yes, the teleport sounds like the safer alternative and I would probably be better off doing adventurous trips once I got my bearings.

But I have to admit, that warm welcome feels great. Thank you :)

Indy deserves a new player Academy, please let us know if there are any ways the rest of us can offer help

The Academy is starting up and we have a several really nice new villagers.  I just want to thank everyone who has been so helpful in spreading the word.  We continue to be committed to giving new players and returning vet players a place to learn (re-learn) the wonderful world of Wurm.  Many folks have been very supportive of this new project, and I anticipate a wonderful experience for everyone.  Again, thank you all and keep spreading the word.  And please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.  Keep Wurming :)

• Like 2

Best wishes to you Andazeus! Yes i did see you shortly in village, but you logged before we could have a chance to talk. I fully endorse your joining a more active village if that will make your game time more enjoyable. If you need anything feel free to shoot me a Pm in game or on the boards.

Regards,

Dragonelle

I logged out about 3 years ago and when I decided to come back last month I scanned through the Inde recruitment forums and came across this alliance.  They're a great group of players; knowledgeable and always willing to help.  Someone always has some project to work on and the Colossus Lake area is revitalizing quite rapidly.  Come join us!

Hiho o/

I'm posting this here because I feel like this is the place where I'm not gonna get yelled at or made fun at for the thing I'm gonna say next...

The following happens to me: I live in Brazil. I've played wurm on soooo many accounts that I've lost count. My biggest problem is that I simply can not pay premmium to play. It's not that I don't have the money, it's that I don't have the means to pay. 

I was wondering if the alliance would be willing to make a trade that my friend managed to find in his previous account: I can play all day (currently unemployed), and by the looks of it, even if I find a job, I'd still be willing to play all my free time. So, what I'd propose would be full services for premium...

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty ashamed to have to say this, but I really wanna go past the level 20 cap, this game is something I've wanted to play without limitations since I've heard of it 5 or 6 years ago. If there's nobody here who thinks this is acceptable, could you give me a hint? I've never managed to find myself enough trade to maintain premium time, and since it's been a while since I've played, I don't know how hard it is to trade enough to be able to pay for premmium.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I hope this isn't being annoying or pushy. All help or tips would be VERY appreciated. Thank you very much.

We have on Indy currently a player named ... well maybe I should not say their name, but they just recently went premium AND bought their first deed AND paid six months upkeepon it, merely by foraging/botanizing for rare coins (they put in a lot of hours per day but did it in under a week). Anyway I am proud of them and if they say it is ok to use their name, I will ^_^

The rare coins payout is a new system and you may not be familiar with it from playing in the past. It is very random and VERY time consuming since you collect coins in increments of 1c 5c 20c and 1s, and the one copper ones are the most common ... but it has been done and its probably a LOT less boring than making bricks and mortar all day. There is a thread discussing foraging for rare coins here:  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/112146-rare-coins-new-income/

Another option is that I have seen villages before offer to "sponsor" a player by paying their premium, however instead of posting in the Academy's thread since it puts them in an awkward position, you would be better off posting a new thread asking if anyone is doing that.

Most players here though will believe that if you really  really  want to be premium, there ARE ways to do it even without a way to pay through the store shop (oe, working for it ingame)

On the one habd it is harder now than in past years since ingame trade markets are less dynamic, on the other hand foraging for coins and making bricks and mortar have worked for others in the past.

Thank you so much Brash_Endeavours for your answer.

I hope I didn't break any taboo or anything like that with my question :P 

And as you said, I had no idea whatsoever that this rare coin system existed. If I did knew about it, I'd be online already :D

Again, thank you so much for your consideration and your answer. I'll be seeing you online, now that I actually have a chance :D

Tyvm!