Sign in to follow this  
validate

omg rich vs poor

just saw news while eating pizza yummy.

they said the richest 80 people have more money together then the 3 BILLION poorest people has. there's only 6 billion on earth. - 3 to 5 in space station. lol

sick.  

Such is the crappy world in which we co-exist.  Enjoy your stay ;)

If those 80 were to live their lives moderately as they should and divide their excess wealth across the 3 billion... imagine what the world could be like?  Then again, we'd be experienceing a world-wide food shortage as those 3 billion would now be sharing much more in the world's food supply.  Creates just as much good as it does bad.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Get your forks and torches ready. Sooner or later we will have to fix this.

• Like 1

If those 80 were to live their lives moderately as they should and divide their excess wealth across the 3 billion... imagine what the world could be like?  Then again, we'd be experienceing a world-wide food shortage as those 3 billion would now be sharing much more in the world's food supply.  Creates just as much good as it does bad.

Well, you'd fix stuff by fixing their living conditions, not by giving everyone a share of the money. They would get more opportunities in life and be able to prosper. If you hand out money to poor people, they'll spend it and be poor again, unless they have the opportunity to... well, not be poor again.

• Like 4

Ehhh... that's called capitalism, and it's a major part of many nations, especially the U.S. Those people shouldn't really be called the "poorest 3 billion", but instead the "lower 50% in terms of wealth". 

One of the biggest problems with people is that they think they can and should actually make everyone as equal as possible. Marx thought that, and well... it didn't really work out, did it? It's impossible to make people completely equal. Someone will always be smarter, richer, or superior in some kind of way. Think of The Giver, 1984, or any other dystopian fiction. You can't limit income without limiting freedom. If I wish, I can make more than my neighbor unless I am prevented by an authority from mowing my other neighbor's lawn for pay, and that's just how it is (and rightfully so).

This whole thing is like thinking its sad that there are people with IQs above 145. They just have superior intelligence, and there's nothing we can or should try to do about it. Helping the poor is one thing and is a good thing to do, but taking wealth from those at the top and gifting it to the "less fortunate" is not the way to go, especially when those "less fortunate" are truly less fortunate than the millionaires and billionaires, not unfortunate or poor.

Hating people just because they have more money is also hypocritical, because it is usually that same group that pushes other forums of equality. The factors of equality protections granted by law (age, gender, etc.) are just as superficial as someone's income or wealth. They should not be a basis for hatred or scorn. When I hear someone expressing sadness that there are rich people, it's the same as expressing sadness that there are smart people or athletic people or any other type of people, and it shows that there really isn't true equality and never will be, even among those who wish for it. When you look down upon another human being, you are proving yet again that equality does not exist, even if you are looking down upon a hater.

I am not saying that civil equality (based on age, gender, race, etc.) is bad. I'm all for that. What I'm not all for is people wanting to take someone from someone who has more of it than the person complaining.

Before the shield of the gone argument starts, let me say that I'm talking about real life. This is a game, the factors at play can be controlled, and the developers can make it unfair and unequal to either side if that's what they wish.

I'll just end with a Mark Twain quote: "The more I know about people, the better I like my dog."

• Like 7

Actually the OP hasn't quite called it in the way I've been reading it.

Right now the richest 1% of the world owns 48% of ALL wealth.

That is projected to be over the 50% half sometime in 2016 - next year.

i.e. 1% of everyone will own more than everyone else put together.

When that happens in Monopoly usually it's time to declare the winner and put the board away.

Edited by Heboric

They got lucky or worked for it. That's the thing about countries like America, you wanna make lots of money and get rich? You can. Not easy but it's not impossible.

I would agree you could improve their living conditions and build schools etc etc but not just doll out the $$ to all of em.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in an alternative look at currency and the distribution of wealth should watch a movie called In Time (2011).

The plot revolves around a society where the currency is Time, and if you have enough you can live forever.

One of the tag lines is 'For a few to be immortal, many must die.'

I see more the core of the issue being the population of the planet, which has long since reached the point where births need to be regulated. Blame it on the irresponsible people having numerous children, as if it is a perfectly fine and reasonable decision. Of course for birth restrictions to be implemented it would require a World Government which could enforce them.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The old adage about giving a man a fish versus teaching him to fish...

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I see more the core of the issue being the population of the planet, which has long since reached the point where births need to be regulated. Blame it on the irresponsible people having numerous children, as if it is a perfectly fine and reasonable decision. Of course for birth restrictions to be implemented it would require a World Government which could enforce them.

=Ayes=

And that's creeping on 1984 territory

Which is creepy and totally wrong.

Edited by Radni

This is why we must go into space and infest the rest of the universe...

• Like 4

This. Like a thousand times over. Humanity needs to go the Wurm route and start opening other servers, we are too crowded here.

• Like 2

Dibs on the diner at the end of the universe

Dibs on the diner at the end of the universe

Want some of that rump roast eh?

Imo the main problem are those who confuse balance with handouts.

Work is work, and remuneration should be fair.....and balanced.

• Like 3

Norman Borlaug and Gregor Mendel might have a bone to pick with you. Pfft, a food shortage. That's laughable.

This is why we must go into space and >>>infest<<< the rest of the universe...

"Infest" is a term not so far from the truth. I am reminded of Agent Smith's revealing comment in The Matrix.

" I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we...are the cure."

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Hopefully some higher lifeform (can't be that difficult to find) will prevent that by blow us away.