Sign in to follow this  
Dame

What the bleep: lavender plantations

I suggest change the old lavender to buxus and add this new lavender as a new type of hedge.

• Like 4

It's the loss of choice that is the problem. A design choice was made based on the old low hedge look. Dramatic change occurred and now the hedges look different. Even worse there is no other choice available that would provide the same look if desired. That's the real problem here.

~Nappy

• Like 1

It  seems that  we  need an option to  choose the natural look ( new look ) or  the pruned look  ( old  look ).

Always have the option to start a topic in the suggestions about it if there isn't one. ;)

I think the new ones look better in your screenshot than the old ones. I prefer more lush naturey models to bland blocky shrub walls... (bring back the old willows!)

I can sympathise with the OP, but I'm pretty sure it was made clear from the start that the hedge graphics were just placeholders until final versions were done. I'm not sure of the wisdom of planning large-scale deeds around a model that was always going to be updated someday.

That said, +1 to box hedging - I know I would use it a lot.

I can sympathise with the OP, but I'm pretty sure it was made clear from the start that the hedge graphics were just placeholders until final versions were done. I'm not sure of the wisdom of planning large-scale deeds around a model that was always going to be updated someday.

That said, +1 to box hedging - I know I would use it a lot.

Probably the same wisdom to building a deed around incoming bridges for the past couple of years.

According to your logic, everyone with big plans may wanna do what I did, which is unsubscribe, disband everything, throw all my gear into a boat, and lurk for a couple of years while certain changes happen.

But if too many people do that................................................................

• Like 1

Probably the same wisdom to building a deed around incoming bridges for the past couple of years.

More like the same wisdom as using a pile of "?" bags as a deed centrepiece. I know nothing is future-proof in Wurm, but If you're going to build a design around a placeholder model, you kind of have to expect to wake up one day and find it looks completely different.

At least, I've always had the impression that the hedge graphic was just a placeholder; can't actually find anything on forums to back that up, admittedly. 

This is the same complaint that will go with every possible hedge I imagine. I had made a combination of tall hedges on our deed when the maple ones came out - now I got a checkerboard of hedges that I need to switch out to make it uniform. Not complaining though - I welcome the new looks. Only difficult part is trying to anticipate the new looks - since I liked the old look I am sticking with cedar - because actual cedars seem to be the only type (apart from maple) that should stay the same evergreen type of green, and hopefully not get some colorful flowers in it. But who knows - the flower types might be awesome in the long run - just trying to stay safe when planning.

Given the lavenders where the only ones that stayed short, I appreciate this is more annoying. But personally, I just adapt to it. If short box style hedges were super important to me, I would totally go around and prune cedar hedges to keep them short.

The only safe bet is to have options. Options to have the graphic we want for the look we are trying to achieve. Dont care Wox is putting in new hedges, but we should have had an option for them. I use a lot of low hedges, actually I use a lot of all the hedges, of which i prefer a boxwood look, not a log covered in a penicillin farm, or wintertime miniwheats. I understand it may look great to others, and thats fine, but to me its not so great, its not adding to anything. All they are doing is buying them anyways, so there is no consistency, which makes it that much harder to use them. there isnt even a theme behind them, just random graphics. At the very least we should be able to set the height we want if they are going to mismatch everything instead of the type determining height. In short, there are plenty of ways to do this other than the way it has been done, im just curious as to why they always seem to pick the most egregious way to proceed instead of a way that allows everyone to have the look they want.

Edited by sunsvortex

The old look was terrible, I have hated all hedges since they were released because they look like they belong to Roblox. 

The new model is nice, I hope all hedges will get new looks like this (but different ofc). -1 to pruning them back to the old look, for the above reason. 

Anyway, I understand the OP, it is painful to remake all those hedges becuase of a simple change in graphics. I don't know exactly how that would be solved, some kind of option to choose another hedge type once maybe. 

It's like buying a cat irl and one day you wake up and the thing has changed into a gorilla. Nothing wrong with gorillas; magnificent looking creatures, but not what you wanted: you wanted a cat.

No, it's like buying an animal labeled "Gorilla" one day, but you took it home because it looked like a cat.  And you treated it like a cat, and had expectations that it would continue to look like a cat.  Then one day, it started looking like a gorilla.

• Like 2

No, it's like buying an animal labeled "Gorilla" one day, but you took it home because it looked like a cat.  And you treated it like a cat, and had expectations that it would continue to look like a cat.  Then one day, it started looking like a gorilla.

Actually its more like If I were the only car painter in Motala, and decided to go find WOX's car and paint it with house paint, then while it was still wet, drop purple flowers and grass all over it. Id bet he would like to have had an option for that not to happen. Then if he gets mad and hauls me into court over it and I tell the judge, well I was always going to paint them differently so dont listen to the complainers. We needed something different and thats what I think looks great. Just ignore them all and they will eventually accept it and get over it. Besides look at all the other people that like it that way.

Wouldnt his argument be that its his car, he bought it, he liked it the way it was regardless of what other people thought and that I had no right to paint it. He is the one making payments on it, he is the one that has to look at it all day long, he is the one that has to drive it, so shouldnt he have some say in what it looks like?

So what you're saying, Sunsvortex, is that every lavender hedge should be renamed in the database to "boxwood hedge", and have the old graphics applied.  All lavender sprouts in the database should be renamed to boxwood sprouts.  And a NEW sprout for creating lavender hedges should be added that uses this new graphic.  Then, people who prefer the new lavender would be able to start gathering lavender sprouts to make them, and those who preferred the old low boxwood style hedges could keep them.

Is that about it?

Nope

We should have options. The option to pick the graphic and height we want them.

This particular cat named Gorilla has been in my house for three years already, since hedges were added around 3 years ago. I know, it's totally my lack of understanding of how this game works that I have made plans in these three years that involved creatures catching mice instead of eating bananas. And 3 years is such a short timespan.... silly me... I should have waited making plans involving house pets alltogether, and just have waited for the finished animal to arrive.

But, anyway, back on topic: just give me another low hedge. Thats it. I am easy to please.

You know what: I will just go ahead and Post A Suggestion about it in the suggestion thread. You never know, somebody who knows something about how to make hedges in Wurm might actually read it.

The moral of the story: Always hedge your bets within Wurm, just not with hedges. Or imaginary hedgehog comparisons.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Get used to this......They change graphics all the time.

I knew those hedge graphics were place holders and fully expect all hedges to have make overs.

• Like 1

Lavender-hedge-2.jpg

They made it pretty much dead on. That being said, I think people would like to have their box hedges they designed with that type in mind back also. Maybe allow a pruner to change them back and forth like a wrench can a wall?

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

As echoed already by a few people, it'd be much better to give us the option to trim them into their old model, or offer us the old model.

The new one, as nice as it is, has transformed designs for  better and for the worse.

May we please have the option to apply the old ones.

Here's hoping

• Like 1

Coffins, BSBs, FSBs, hedges... They may look good, but that doesn't do much for the piecemeal garden hedges I threw together a year or so ago.  I'd have gone with a uniform type if only I knew then that Wurm developers are clueless to their players wishes.

• Like 2

I made a post about the same issue in the suggestions thread, with the hope that our dear devs look there more frequently. Feel free to bump that post when you agree with me.

As far as I see it the implementation could be extremely simple, so with more people supporting the idea.... You never know: they might actually honor our wishes:)

This South Park episode comes to mind whenever I see them ^_^

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHaLKWItMCs

• Like 1

And that South Park song reminds me of this ;)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel%3Apfc%3A42gBMtL9zhE&feature=iv&src_vid=o3EtytFfwvg&v=42gBMtL9zhE

• Like 1