Sign in to follow this  
Dame

What the bleep: lavender plantations

Mind you: the new look of the lavender plantations is very pretty indeed. They really look like lavender plants, kudos to the graph devs.

But: they completely mess up my park which used to have a lot of neat looking low hedges and now suddenly there is messy flowers all over the place. Can't we at least have another low hedge instead?

(Plus: I have a pretty large deed and it took me half a year to gather the sprouts for the low hedges I have; not looking forward to cut that all down and start all over.)

(Plus: it would be nice if we could have some warning in advance about these kinds of changes. I understand it's all very important to keep us up to date about bridges that aint happening and yes: it's very importants to inform me every week about a new pvp server I don't give a toss about, but you know... maybe there could be one sentence amidst all that exiting stuff about things that.. you know.. are actually added to the game... and are actually screwing up some people's plans.. ? You know.. just a suggestion?)

• Like 11

Buxus hedges would be good as the old texture for hedges. They look precisely like it and are used for decorative gardens a lot, being easy to trim and shape into topiaries.

• Like 2

can you post a screenie of how they look now.  i have been collecting to make a low hedge so i'm interested 

ejyo34.png

I love it

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 8

+1 to this 

It would be nice if we could have some warning in advance about these kinds of changes... maybe there could be one sentence amidst all that exiting stuff about things that are actually added to the game

• Like 1

Old look:

vw6RZYC.jpg

New look:

gOm2YHW.jpg

And, yes, again:

In small quantities the new model is very nice. However: in large amounts it looks very messy indeed (this pict is a very small portion of my deed; currently its purple mess all over the place)

2BUx7cv.jpg

Edited by Dame
  • Like 1

Totally disagree with the OP. The new lavender hedges are beautiful! They now make very pretty accents and look much nicer lining the road sides. Need to be seen in game to be really appreciated and not highlighted with mouse over. Since they are a dramatic change from the previous blank rounded top mounds it will take a bit of time to get used to them, as with most graphic changes to familiar objects.

Very nice graphic work and all should remember that all these types of hedges are due for more of this excellent update changes of their appearance. Well done!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

And yes, would love buxus for instance. Anything that is low and not very obtrusive.

One thing that could be done for those that don't like the flowery tops is to have the ability to prune them once to remove the flowery tops and then they would remain that way. This would take a second graphic model to be made for them, which I don't know how eager the graphic artist would be willing to do.

=Ayes=

• Like 5

Got the same problem, in small amounts they are ok and remind me more of a tulip row, but when you use a lot of them, it just gets a bit odd. I feel like I need to weed eat them and clean them up a bit.

hriJY6O.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 3

thanks for posting.  i think this is one of those things about personal preference.  also once you've built something to have a certain look and it gets changed i can understand the frustration.

that said I love the new changes it's very very nice.

Great JOB devs , yet maybe we can still have a low boxwood hedge option as it made a nice look for english looking gardens with a formal look to it.

• Like 3

Old look: ....

Ouch! That must sting. Maybe there's a way to redesign and accommodate the new hedges? Like everyone's said, they look cool but not in a lot of designs that relied on the old model.

I've been planting maple hedges partly because they already had their graphical update.

Edited by Tipper

Just continue to give me the option to rebuild the bloody gardens of Versailles and I won't complain anymore at all:)

• Like 1

I agree with everyone on this thread which is a very rare and confusing occurrence. :huh:

I like the new textures and the old and can see that since they are so dramatically different they would be used in very different ways.

Perhaps a simple solution is since they are a low hedge anyway have it so when you prune them they go back to the old texture; that way no new model or item needs to be created and since there is no reason to prune a low hedge it would be a unique pathway that would not be difficult to code. B)

• Like 4

They have already shown that they have the ability to give us 2 graphics for the same object. Plain stone and wood trim stone walls. Should be the same to make changes on hedge. With scissors active, right click hedge, choose alter. Can go back and forth between models.

• Like 2

Is it strange that I actually like the new screenshots you posted over the old ones by a mile, Dame? Looks much more creative, lively, colorful, rather then the blocky dull green. 

I guess in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

It is a really lovely looking place though! I like it :D

Edited by Viti
  • Like 3

One thing that could be done for those that don't like the flowery tops is to have the ability to prune them once to remove the flowery tops and then they would remain that way. This would take a second graphic model to be made for them, which I don't know how eager the graphic artist would be willing to do.

=Ayes=

While I love the look of the new ones, I agree with Ayes. Would be nice to be able to have a prune like the grass tiles in which we can convert into lawn.

• Like 2

I personally like the new hedges but they need a bit of pruning imo. They just look a bit unruly like a neat hedge that has been left for a year or two

+1 to pruning option (can even use the old graphic once pruned, so not to much work). Don't hate the new one but it's not for everyone.

Edited by Jet

This tall is how big a real lavender "bush" is, a very lovely plant, that here is hugely oversized.
The flowers are seasonal just like the fruit trees and should maybe be seasonal here too?

So it only took like 2 years to finally have decent graphics for hedges, instead of the sponge look, and people are whining about it?

I sincerely hope you didn't like the old sponge look, or think thats how real life plants look like?

• Like 1

I'm out of town so can't see the new hedges for myself(Trust me, this laptop will not load Wurm, I've tried), but the screen shots look really nice.  Granted they screw some things up, I'll likely end up having to change some things on my deed as a result.  But a few hours of redesign is a small price to pay for the new lavender hedge model. 
OFC I agree it would have been nice to have some warning about  the change coming.  But it really does beat all hedges looking the same aside from max growth height.

• Like 1

If the ability to prune them to a lower texture is added I would hope that this ability is only available on deed and perimeter tiles, the same concept as lawns. The totally off deed ones I think should be left with this new texture so not anyone can go around pruning them all. On deeds and perimeters it makes sense to give mayors the option to change their appearance.

=Ayes=

To people who say "don't complain, they look nice": I don't think you get the point.

Yes, as I said: they look very nice.

Yes, very very nice.

Wait: i will say it once more, in case I wasn't clear enough: YES: the new lavender plantations look NICE!

However: I have a deed design where I will 2000 low hedges when everything is done. Right now I already have something like 500 low hedges. With the old model this amount of hedges works very nice, the place looks like a park. The old model is not too much in your face, they are neat small green walls.  With the new model, everything it's very messy looking; this model is too overpowering for a plan where you have 2000 of them.

It's like buying a cat irl and one day you wake up and the thing has changed into a gorilla. Nothing wrong with gorillas; magnificent looking creatures, but not what you wanted: you wanted a cat.

Edited by Dame
  • Like 5

I'm not seeing a problem. They look great, even like lavender, gasp, like REAL lavender.

While I realize it took, possibly, almost forever to gather up all the plants didn't all hedges used to look the same regardless of what was used? I'm asking this because I never bothered with hedges. 

Ah, but now I realize the real problem. It was all supposed to look the same when completed and it's only about 25% done. It's all supposed to be geometrically correct and the new lav isn't that needed boxy orderly row upon row of geometry. Well, at least you were only 25% done and not 100% done. Even if you had been told say, last week, that it would change would you still have been happy? Probably not because you had already done LOTS of work. Sorry for the lost time, and I am sincere about that. 

Edited by Clatius