Sign in to follow this  
pd

Data Mining Data

According to the info in the OP, you can get equal gains from gold as you do lead if you adjust your pickaxe ql. On a gold vein you will need a higher ql  compared to lead as it is a more difficult action. One way to figure out the sweet spot is to mine maybe 50 or 100 ore and sort the pile by ql. Count the number of 1.00 ql ore and compare it to the number of 40+ql ore. If there are more 1.00ql ores, then you need to imp your pickaxe. If there are more 40.00+ql ores, then you need a lower pickaxe. The sweet spot will be when 55% or more of the ores you mine are between 1.01 and 39.99 inclusive. This method, however, is difficult to do if the vein is capped at less than 40ql. 

this ^

this ^

Yea, read that but would have been nice to have your "this" added as well, since I am sure additional insight could have been provided from your perspective. Asked, not answered, message received.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

Anyone investigated how/what to mine to maximize body stats gains?

any and all body mind soul stats are gained per action done over time spend on action thus grinding mining with a low ql pickaxe with high coc for long action timers results in more mining skill but less body stats

• Like 1

Yea, read that but would have been nice to have your "this" added as well, since I am sure additional insight could have been provided from your perspective. Asked, not answered, message received.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

Sorry i wasn't trying to be rude.  I thought McGarnicle answered it quite well.  I could have barely restated what he said in better terms.  His few sentences pretty much sums up my findings and I'm employing the same strategy to find the best skillgain for a given ore and pickaxe QL.

• Aim for at least 50% of all mined resources from 1.01 to 39.99 quality.  At times i've been able to get it as high as 60%

If you are getting too many 1.00 quality resources either switch to a higher QL pick or move to a lower 'difficulty' resource

if you are getting too many 40+ quality resources either switch to a lower QL pick or move to a higher 'difficulty' resource

That's pretty much all you need to do to maximize skillgain.  Again all resource types give exactly the same skillgain ticks holding all other things constant.

• Like 2

To clarify, the 1.00 < x < 40.00 rule, where x is the value needed to gain skill, seems to apply to most actions. It definitely does for resource gathering (mining, woodcutting, digging) actions and creations (metallurgy, rope making, lock smithing, etc.). I'm fairly sure it does for casting as well. Just check cast powers, but remember that powers are displayed as rounded to the nearest integer because their decimal values are hidden (so a cast displayed as [40] could give skill if it is really a 39.99, which would round up to 40).

The value represented by x appears to be the RNG roll (or a modified version of the output of said roll) after taking into account tool quality and any associated skills or stats. It should not be affected by resource quality caps (ie. ore caps, making locks with sub-40 ql iron, etc.) or by quality bonus from rarity (a 40.50 ql ore mined with a rare pickaxe should be counted as 39.50 for the purpose of skill ticks). Other modifications to the final output should not apply either, only those which are calculated into the initial output value (those that affect the RNG roll and/or difficulty, not the final product itself).

With that said, I believe this also applies to other actions such as improvement and chopping down trees. The output values are not openly displayed, but I assume that they still exist and function in the same manner. Under this assumption, would it be possible to reverse engineer difficulties for given actions and the associated formulas? Keep in mind that hot food cooking does openly display the difficulty values by examining the cooking container. I haven't tested to see if it follows the 1.00 < x < 40.00 rule, but if it does, then there are probably some interesting implications to be found.

Under this assumption, would it be possible to reverse engineer difficulties for given actions and the associated formulas? Keep in mind that hot food cooking does openly display the difficulty values by examining the cooking container. I haven't tested to see if it follows the 1.00 < x < 40.00 rule, but if it does, then there are probably some interesting implications to be found.

Event and skill logs and an automated regex script could provide these for each action's end: craft skill, tool skill, target item(not always tho) and a running average for tick frequency over say 100 actions. 

To do what you're asking we'd need the user to manually supply: tool quality, target item quality, numerical values resulting from each action.

for each action's end create a CSV data entry like following...

craft skill, tool skill, tool quality, target item, target quality, measure for the actions result (imp ql jumps, tree chop damage, farming message)....UGG dang..

For tick frequency we'd need to make sure we're keeping separate frequency measures for different tools. For example, with smithing there would be frequency for hammer, water, lump, pelt, whetstone. We need this because tick frequency is a clear indicator of the relationship between tool + skill versus target difficulty.

All those manual data entries from each action's result are a problem. 

Geez, I wish Wurm would add a tick frequency metric to the skill tracker (tick rate over the last 100 actions).

Thank you for the explanation of woa on skill gain per hour. It is a concept I struggle to explain to my friends. Woa let's you effectively get the same exp per hour, but dramatically improves your productivity per hour, with the exception of stam regen lag, especially on Xanadu.

Also I concur with others here... You do not get full skill gain if stam runs out during the mining action.

• Like 1

Also I concur with others here... You do not get full skill gain if stam runs out during the mining action.

• Like 1

Couple data points while adjusting grind.

200x mining at 73.xx skill with QL 1 pick on silver =  25% production of 1.01-39.99

200x mining at 73.xx skill with QL 30 pick on silver =  40% production of 1.01-39.99

1000x mining at 73-76 mining with QL 40 pick on silver =  55% production of 1.01-39.99

During the 1000x I did 500x on a 21 QL capped vein and 500x on a 41 QL capped vein. No difference in tick frequency or amount.

Edited by Elen

Elen, looks like you could have lowered your pickaxe ql a bit to increase the % of Goods. It is best to have the lows and highs equal.