Sign in to follow this  
vampric

Where is Storm?

I've been inactive for a good bit, and was gonna check to see if Storm was online today to see it's been offline all day. Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Round 1 of the Storm server ended on Friday. There has been no public official statement regarding the server, nor any comment of any kind, since it's launch. We do not know when or even if there will be a round 2.

The complete lack of communication, comment or ceremony with the end of Round 1 suggests the devs have abandoned the project however.

Edited by Nathegar
  • Like 1

Ignore these nay-sayers, especially Nathegar he obviously has some very serious abandonment issues...

The amount of time, effort, and content put into Challenge means there is no way its been 'abandoned'. The entire concept of such a huge and popular project being dropped is almost hilarious.

Whats probably happening is they are reviewing all the information they got from the first test run and figuring out where to go from here. I would say that silence is actually a good sign here, and there might be lots of activity in the office that is keeping them from posting on the forums.

• Like 1

Ignore these nay-sayers, especially Nathegar he obviously has some very serious abandonment issues...

The amount of time, effort, and content put into Challenge means there is no way its been 'abandoned'. The entire concept of such a huge and popular project being dropped is almost hilarious.

Whats probably happening is they are reviewing all the information they got from the first test run and figuring out where to go from here. I would say that silence is actually a good sign here, and there might be lots of activity in the office that is keeping them from posting on the forums.

Do you get benefits for saying this? because what you just said is a load of untruthful crap :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

• Like 2

Do you get benefits for saying this? because what you just said is a load of untruthful crap :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Judging from some of the numbers I've seen when I could be bothered to look, Storm has been a ghost town quite often.  So maybe the devs have put a lot of work into it, but the player numbers will be what determines if it sticks around or not.

The complete lack of communication, comment or ceremony with the end of Round 1 suggests the devs have abandoned the project however.

If that was any indication of abandonment by this team, the whole entire game would have been abandoned by now.

What I am trying to say is that that's how Wurm rolls. Release something major with little to no background on it, then ignore all the things that come with it until they feel like getting around to working on it.

Epic (especially the God shuffle board) is a prime example.

Another good example is Xanadu. Made such a big deal about its release, even had team members commenting on how there were additional surprises in store with the map, aside from the large land mass. What we ended up getting was a large landmass with no additional features, unless you want to count broken alters being ignored by the team for 6 months a "feature".

Plenty of other examples to cite, but no need to start a novel.

• Like 1

Judging from some of the numbers I've seen when I could be bothered to look, Storm has been a ghost town quite often.  So maybe the devs have put a lot of work into it, but the player numbers will be what determines if it sticks around or not.

Being over Christmas might not be a good judge of numbers. A lot of people were away for holidays, myself included (where if I was home I would've been playing on Storm), and those that were home, likely wouldve preferred to play on their main characters by taking them to impalongs, etc.

Being over Christmas might not be a good judge of numbers. A lot of people were away for holidays, myself included (where if I was home I would've been playing on Storm), and those that were home, likely wouldve preferred to play on their main characters by taking them to impalongs, etc.

That is a possibility, but overall I noticed the changes in server populations, on Freedom anyways, have been negligible.  I know this is a time of the year a lot of people are on break as well, but it seems unlikely that Storm would be affected that much more than the other servers due to that.

Just more conclusive evidence that the Gnome Conspiracy is hard at work, disrupting Rolf's favorite projects in an attempt to fuel the player discontent. Eventually with their tiny shovels they will continue their deep underground server transit system to include Storm, which would serve them well as a base for their underground shadow government.

All this heard within indistinct whispers while deep within the grape forests, with their invisible vines. Honey, honey, yeah. *cry's* (reference song)

=Ayes=

The numbers are hard to judge, on one hand you have a lot of people gone out of town without their gaming computers. On the other hand you are competing with all the christmas releases of new games. You also have people that want to win and got behind and gave up after a couple of weeks. When there is nothing permanent things tend to drop fast because if they are not in the running to win a prize, why try, they go back to their mains and work on their deeds, or pvp for meaningful rewards depending on freedumb or epeen players.

They stated challenge was meant to be a test server, an issue of fun and fast paced action, perhaps also an attempt to bring back people who quit because of the grind. In the aspect of testing I really think it was successful. People tested things like trebuchets, archery towers, siege shields, and balistas in a real playing envioronment. Not on the test server where you set up specific situations, but a real working dynamic playing atmosphere. Now trebuchets and balistas still do not work granted, they did do some massive fixes to siege shields, spike barriers and archery towers. 

Ordecc and myself hit the achievements hard, and got some really good test results, which were reported to the devs, some of them were fixed, some are still broken but the devs were made aware of them. This is also a successful test in my opinion. A lot of raw and recorded data in a condensed period of time to allow the devs to fix problems with the system.

In the view that challenge is a test server with rewards, I feel like it was a great success. It is a temporary atmosphere, being successful on player numbers over the entire month is not even a point in my opinion.

Rolf really wants to make pvp work. Thank you freedumbers for keeping the game going. I am not and never will deny this, Freedom pays for the game and has for a long time. I am very happy that you have a system of Wurm that you guys like. I am also happy that the devs have been giving you candy to decorate your nice and safe deeds with, like thrones, bookshelves and junk. However there are pvper's too and there are lacking points and issues with the pvp in Wurm. Challenge is a great way to get new features and adjustments tested in a working environment, attracting players to do these tests by giving competitive rewards, and get some things worked out before introducing them to epic/chaos without breaking those servers.

In conclusion I feel like Challenge is one of Rolf's best decisions in a long time, as a test server. If you try to look at it as a successful populated server, sure it failed. However the later was not the intent. Thank you dev's for allowing us to have this fun, I hope you do another but please space them out and try to fix many of the issues, and make a better more balanced map. 

Can't believe some people are surprised that the challenge isnt here anymore. It was said from the beginning it will be a month.

Also i am quite sure that the dev's got more data and info about pvp in general while it was running. if not... well. 

I feel like people are trying to connect the dots of two completely separate papers here: Whether or not the devs communicate their intentions properly should have little to no correlation to the number of active players during the test run of Storm. Just saying.

Edited by Aeris

I wouldn't trust that theory too much, señor Budda... 

Started with as many as Xanadu, went down to half in around a week, then lost half of THAT.... came down to 20ish while the other servers looked relatively stable.  After December ended the figures remained around 20ish.

Wasnt there supposed to be some kind of big end of game event or something? Did that happen?

Hopefully be up and running been looking forward to finally checking it out.

Edited by Stormblade

I wouldn't trust that theory too much, señor Budda... 

Started with as many as Xanadu, went down to half in around a week, then lost half of THAT.... came down to 20ish while the other servers looked relatively stable.  After December ended the figures remained around 20ish.

It's past New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's past Valentine's day, everyone is burned out.

It's Spring Time, everyone is burned out.

It's Summer Time, everybody is burned out.

School is starting, everyone is burned out.

It's Fall, everyone is burned out.

It's Halloween, everyone is burned out.

It's Winter, everyone is burned out.

It's almost Christmas, everyone is burned out.

It's almost New Years, everyone is burned out.

It's almost as if it's an interchangeable excuse with no meaning.

Edited by Dairuka