Sign in to follow this  
Mozdog

A Minimap?

I understand what everyone thinks just familiarize the world and the map in there already can give you an idea where you are.

Edited by Mozdog

Navigation is a big and pretty important part of Wurm. Especially with the constantly changing world. -1

People. U cant use brain for appointing the position on the map? For example I more like morrowind (non gps), of newest TES

Edited by Ibexx

Not this again.....Wurm is not a Mini - map type of game....if you play a lot you will learn the landscape....and at that point you don't need a Mini-map.

-1 to this one :(

No thank you. I like the immersion of having to actually pay attention to where I am going.

-1!!  its allways fun when you get lost in the woods you hear   Mr'troll near by ^^

Surprisingly it is not too hard to find your approximate location within the Wurm lands with a compass for n/s/e/w headings, the online player created maps for each server and the fact that players create roads everywhere. Roads then are the main guidelines in this scenario. Find one and follow it a ways with mapped deeds to pinpoint location.

The only real problem would be if you are far away from roads somewhere in wooded or desolate areas and are killed without having kept track of your general location along the way. Then best to stay on roads while traveling around unknown areas. Careless exploration can have bad consequences.

With this said, I don't find it a problem to have a mini-map added to the game either.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

With how many players were against the idea of an in game map in general, I don't see this one getting picked up anytime soon (thankfully).

I understand what you guys mean, I have to admit it does have the challenge to it and makes you familiarize yourself with the world. Sorry about the doppy idea I'm just used to other things. Wurm is a fun and cool game, it has its moments but its worth being here!

• Like 1

Sorry about the doppy idea I'm just used to other things. Wurm is a fun and cool game, it has its moments but its worth being here!

Not really a "doppy idea". The suggestion makes sense when considering that most other popular online games have mini-maps available. Wurm's lack in comparison makes it stand out, especially to newer players. I remember when I started on GV I got so lost with one character that I just logged him out and created a new one. A few weeks later when I became more familiar with the map I finally retrieved him and brought him successfully to the others current homestead.

=Ayes=

Navigation is a big and pretty important part of Wurm. Especially with the constantly changing world. -1

You do understand that what you wrote and the -1 are totally the opposite, right?

I do agree that minimap would be stretching it, but a tool/skill to allow you to gain reference on where you are, that should have been added, and anyone against it "because you need to find your way around yourself" are pretty much being self-important and nothing much else, specially since that would be exactly what the player would be doing.

I must admit that i really never got hopelessly lost like Ayes there, specially not on GV (the palce was fairly small though), but sometimes i do get side-tracked and waste a while to find a new reference point or a landmark to place myself again. All this would be faster (thus more enjoyable for the masses) if we had a skill to use our compass, the sun/planets, and who knows, a sextant or an astrolabe, to make a dot show on the ingame map showing you where you are (gets smaller, and thus more precise as you gain levels on that particular skill, or your tools have higher ql) the dot would fade out in a alloted time if you started moving (again could be dependent on skill and qls).

This shouldn't be too hard to make (the game already "knows" where you are and can transmit the coordinates- how GMs teleport to you. It should be only a matter of tying those coordinates to the pixels in the map through simple maths and displaying a marker there). Wouldn't really rob anyone of their wanderlust, or survivability test, and would give less "hardcore" players a tool to make it work for themselves.

Egads, a minimap? I'm of two different minds. For one, bumbling about, especially early during one's tenure in the game, tends to produce some of our funniest and most thrilling adventures -- and there's a hard won satisfaction in navigating the countryside.

Then again, maps are fun. They're cool to look at and enhance one's experience of a landscape.

Edited by Tipper

Trouble is, with wurm, you HAVE to metagame to successfully game (which is immersion killing in itself), otherwise being lost is going to be your ground state of being.

I am not sure that a minimap is the way to fix this though, maybe something that lets you mark your position on the map using a compass and some other navigational tool....

• Like 1

-1 Minimap never is a good idea the goal is navagation and survival the closest thing to a minimap I would agree to is a cartagraphy skill that you use to make maps ingame but that is a skill that may never be added.

-1, i kinda like that if you go thru an area hunting and so on, you will remember it. I like the fact i dont run thru the map just looking at the map but trying to understand where i am. Minimap is just a lazy way.

Sorry hate the idea.

I'd prefer the in game map removed.

A lot of us played for a lot of years just fine without one.

Many played without so much as a map dump....

Sorry hate the idea.

I'd prefer the in game map removed.

A lot of us played for a lot of years just fine without one.

Many played without so much as a map dump....

you just can ignore the map and (if added) minimap, can still playing at you way

• Like 1

map or not this game is played on the premise that back in "the day" you would reley on wit and your own skills in exploration or quite simply hire a guide. Being that as it is, and this is a java based game, couldn't you just have an in game tool to "map out" where you have gone or where you have been? That way any one fairly skilled in terrain features could set something up to their own liking. Seems like it would be hard at first, but dev.could always throw in a cartography skill. Just a thought.

Minimaps is hanging talk.

Now a smaller version of the map would be fine. Just no gps, radar, or whatever along those lines.

Edited by Klaa