Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Patch Notes Discussion

Lalalalalala vote here  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have more detailed patchnotes?

2. 2. How detailed should it get?

• Just vague "Tweaked upwards/downwards etc"
    • Down to the exact percentages
    • Other (posting below)
    • I voted keep as is above (none)
  3. 3. Do you like Rolfs desire to keep all changes a "mystery" and let people figure it all out for themselves?

Like I said in my suggestion thread, I can understand keeping things like "Changed X to enable us to track hackers" off the patch notes, but not "Increased X missrate" "Lowered X damage""X is now tougher by half" or etc.

It is getting old seeing ninja nerfs that are not at all mentioned. Or notes such as "Tweaked Ballista Damage"... Uhhh? Hello? Which way? and icing on the cake would be by how much.

It's fine not telling us how to make the new thing, but when you increase miss rates, "change" damage, etc.. you should tell us at the very least in what direction and by how much

In the suggestion thread there was a point made that wurm shouldn't become a numbers game where people spend time working out how efficient something is or the like with %'s and #'s etc... but... it already is that. Wurm is a numbers game already, it's frustrating that we dont know half the numbers though, or how they seem to "change" in the middle of the night with no announcement.

Not only all this, but we've had ###### all for patch notes during the whole of 2014 as far as i can remember. WAY too many ninja changes

So give me your opinions, should we have more detailed patchnotes? should changes be listed?

Edited by Radni
  • Like 2

Personally I enjoy the idea of finding new things out about wurm, it's an exploration game to be and frankly it keeps me on my toes.

If I was on a PvP server however, I guess my opinion would be very different.

Well, finding out about crafting new items ended mostly with the introduction of the crafting window, it's just mechanics left now.

I'd like to see more details on some important changes, but small insignificant ones, let them be secret!

I know when I sell technology to my clients, they never buy if I keep all the specs a mystery.

• Like 1

The game's out of Beta, there's no reason to still treat it like a Beta game. If people don't want to know about the changes and still hang on to the "mystery" of never knowing what's a bug and what's intended they can avoid reading the update news imo and we'll all be happy.

• Like 3

Wurm is partly a game of discovery.  A player's first guess as to how something works may be wrong, but it may take a while to realize it.  In most cases, this isn't a problem, and can be an interesting process.

But it is an annoyance when something which I "knew" about the game is changed without my knowledge.  It's dirty pool to tell players to discover the game mechanics, then change things on them unawares.  You annoy or frustrate players that way, but what is the gain?  Describing changes shouldn't have to expose the exact mechanic, just let players know in a general way how it has changed and that they need to reexamine it.

Wurm is a game of simulated reality, and aside from arguments about perception changing reality, for the most part things don't change from day to day in the physical world.  If I know how to make a hammer, that method would have worked 5000 years ago and will work 5000 years from now (and I won't need another hammer to do it, either :) ).  No one is going to have to worry about some deity changing the laws of physics on the sly. Although the idea of a discredited physicist whining to God for patch notes is amusing.

It also occurs to me that some changes may be left undocumented to avoid discussion.  I can sympathize, I've seen the threads on this forum.  But that's not the way to treat the people who support your company.

So please keep us informed, and please keep up the good work.

Describing changes shouldn't have to expose the exact mechanic, just let players know in a general way how it has changed and that they need to reexamine it.

Says it all, I think.

The worst aspect about Wurm is the discovery and then eventual ridicule that follows when you try to spread said discovery.

Eventually the more intelligent players will adopt this discovery, but it's always becomes a gradual, "I've always known that." - So there is no gratification to making a discovery like there would be in other games.

I despise this, and would love to see more proper patch notes to alleviate the misinformation that currently drowns Wurm's community.

Edited by Dairuka

It's policy, the way rolf wants it to be. Get over it or find another game.

A lot have. How many are people going to tell to find another game before this one has no one left playing it?

• Like 2

Then hell close suggestions because the game is already the way Rolf wants it to be, don't let us the paying masses ask for changes.

I know when I sell technology to my clients, they never buy if I keep all the specs a mystery.

And when you sell technology to your clients, is that technology EVER based around providing personal amusement through discovery and exploration? Because if not, that's about as relevant as a car salesman saying that he doesn't give out packs of ketchup with each sale. 

A lot have. How many are people going to tell to find another game before this one has no one left playing it?

I honestly doubt of the people that have quit over the years, that a single one would still be here, had there only been exact details on game mechanic formula,s something many large games have been hiding for years. Sure, Rolf has many unpopular policies that DO drive players away, like the playerauctions website bulls-, but I don't think this (not having exact details) is really any more of an issue than 'it'd be kinda nice if we could have X, even though it wouldn't actually change gameplay much'. 

I honestly doubt of the people that have quit over the years, that a single one would still be here, had there only been exact details on game mechanic formula,s something many large games have been hiding for years. Sure, Rolf has many unpopular policies that DO drive players away, like the playerauctions website bulls-, but I don't think this (not having exact details) is really any more of an issue than 'it'd be kinda nice if we could have X, even though it wouldn't actually change gameplay much'. 

I wasn't referring to the game. I was referring to the toxic and venomous "don't like it, leave" that is always spewed in these forums. People have. Leaving people aren't paying people. They don't keep servers running or chip in for new experimental ones. Everyone who was upset and then nailed with a "gtfo" that might just have pushed them out the door is one gone we may not get back. We don't have 10 million like some other MMO. We need to encourage people to stay, not catch the first boat off the side of the world.

Climbs down off the soapbox because preaching won't do any good.

*Not directed at you, Arronicus. Sorry if it seemed that way. They know who they are. They do it constantly.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

"If you don't like it, leave." ~~ Star Wars Galaxies, New Game Enhancement. (now defunct)

The very same people who espouse "love it or leave it", are usually the first ones to fly off the handle whenever they receive a little sass from a manager after subjecting some poor cashier behind the counter to an hour of screaming about expired coupons. That kind of hypocrisy exists, because "love it or leave it" only applies to other people, never yourself. It's a ridiculous, self-loving concept to assume that you know best, and everybody who doesn't agree should remove themselves. It's condescending and illogical because nobody is going to love everything about a game, service, store, political party, D&D group, comic book fanbase, or country.

You all should really rethink this mantra.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Except people do quit because of stuff like this that Rolf does.

No path notes+ninja changes=reinforced wall fiasco.

Oh hey you cant do archery with a greathelm anymore, great thing to learn going into pvp. (of course basinet helms are fine).

X mechanic is actually a bug, but who knew, there were no patchnotes documenting how it was supposed to work.

Except people do quit because of stuff like this that Rolf does.

No path notes+ninja changes=reinforced wall fiasco.

Oh hey you cant do archery with a greathelm anymore, great thing to learn going into pvp. (of course basinet helms are fine).

X mechanic is actually a bug, but who knew, there were no patchnotes documenting how it was supposed to work.

I can actually name off 10 occasions where people used a new mechanic for weeks/months only to find out that it was a bug and had their work reverted because it wasn't documented, even though they had to jump through no hoops or anything to do it so it wasn't fishy at all. In some cases, Rolf even OK'd the usage of particular mechanics and changed his mind a week later, and still hurt those players who wasted their time and money doing something.

The lack of documentation leads to people wasting their time unintentionally abusing bugs, and it also leads to people finding bugs and abusing them because nobody else was able to find it and report it because the details of how the feature was supposed to work were so vague that they were the only one who looked deep enough.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 6