Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Revive high QL gems

Please toss ideas here for ways to make high QL gems popular again. They have been hit pretty hard on the market and seems wrong that gems aren't highly valued for their higher quality.

I will start off with a couple thoughts:

1 - Crush to get source salt. 100ql = 1kg. This roughly matches the values of the current market, helping to prevent further devaluation.

2 - Used in crafting to enhance weapon/armor/tool properties. Eg: diamond edge blade to cause bleeding wounds.

Please add other ideas or improve mine, so we can give the devs something exciting to do with these gems.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

There are a lot of factors which have devalued gems and continue to do so.

Gems were introduced into digging lowering their overall value due to increased supply. 

More and more miners have been reaching higher skill levels. 

Increase in player base using rare or better pickaxes. 

Introduction of mining potions.

This leads to more high QL gems being found and with an already non-existent market for them the price has fallen steeply over the last year.  This has however made it economical to use gems when selling strongwall casts should the client not have a mag altar as you are still profiting after the cost of using the gems.  This has also made it more economical to carry gems to unique fights to assist with healing.

I am hoping to see gems used for jewelry with the gem QL impacting the item's overall ending QL with no ability to improve.  Different pieces of jewelry could give unique bonuses to characters this way or maybe a one use spell with a 24 hour cool down that shatters the item.  So someone cannot have multiple items and use them back to back.  Gems must be fully vesseled to be usable in this process.  Use of the spell could also consume Karma.

Diamond - CR Bonuses

Emerald - Healing

Opal - Damage Reduction

Ruby - Fire Spell

Sapphire - Water Spell/Frost Spell

Doing something like this will benefit those mining 90+QL gems mostly unless different spells required a certain QL gem such as the examples below.

Emerald - Heal Minor Wound - 0.01 - 29.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Major Wound - 30.00 - 49.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Multiple Minor Wounds - 50.00 - 69.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Severe Wound - 70.00 - 89.99 QL

Emerald - Mass Heal - 90.00 - 94.99QL

Emerald - Full Heal Single Target - 95.00 - 100QL

We can make use of things already implemented in the game just make them usable for most players.  Remember these are 1 time uses during a 24 hour period.  To even use character must have certain stats to ensure this cannot be abused.  Also if cast on a target the target cannot get any benefit from any of these types of spells for 24 hours.  This is intended to be a one use item.

• Like 1

Those are nice ideas, but high ql gems are still useful for channeling skill gain, maybe vessel casts can be done on a high ql gem before it becomes low ql. It seems to me the skill gain from this is slightly lower than under 10 ql but that doesn't make them worthless. On the other hand, I'd say the trend for pricing of around 1c per ql seems about right.

I do agree that it would be nice for gems to have other uses like those suggested.

Hi Shrimpiie! I had really debated putting it here in the first place, but thought maybe we could flesh out some sweet ideas, then post the top ideas here, but I guess the ultimate suggestion is just to have something new for gems to do :)  Thanks!

• Like 1

I use the heck out of HQ gems. I smile whenever one drops from a vein. But more uses for them is good. I think adding more JS items that require gems would be helpful or the ability to imbue a set of spells that don't currently exist in game and can only be imbued.

Tie the spell type to the gem QL. Like a 1-10 QL gem could be imbued with a spell that once used will drop any aggro from creatures for X amount of minutes. 10-15 a spell that transforms you into a creature(for looks only).  Just like that with each tier of gem QL giving a more fun/useful spell.

My first instinct is to add this to alchemy but to be something fun the items and skills needed to imbue these different spells could be varied to keep one skill set from dominating. We first create a new altar type (win here we get a extra decoration).

For example for the first spell we have someone with FS take a flask, binding agent and a weapon to the new altar and creates a potion of fear. To keep this fun we need to remove RNG here and base it solely on the FS the person has and the QL of the weapon. Each one would determine the str and the time of the potion. Like the QL of the weapon could be the tile range of non aggro and the FS the time the effect lasts. This way even a 1QL potion created by someone new could be useful but albeit not as long or strong. This potion is then combined at the altar with the gem. The binding agent for the potion could also be different for each spell also allowing yet another set of trades to be useful.

Once again I think its important these spells be nothing game breaking or must have. Just some fun stuff. I really think it should not be based on just 1 skill to make these. This could be a opportunity to allow more trades to create useful things.

• Like 1

There are a lot of factors which have devalued gems and continue to do so.

Gems were introduced into digging lowering their overall value due to increased supply. 

More and more miners have been reaching higher skill levels. 

Increase in player base using rare or better pickaxes. 

Introduction of mining potions.

This leads to more high QL gems being found and with an already non-existent market for them the price has fallen steeply over the last year.  This has however made it economical to use gems when selling strongwall casts should the client not have a mag altar as you are still profiting after the cost of using the gems.  This has also made it more economical to carry gems to unique fights to assist with healing.

I am hoping to see gems used for jewelry with the gem QL impacting the item's overall ending QL with no ability to improve.  Different pieces of jewelry could give unique bonuses to characters this way or maybe a one use spell with a 24 hour cool down that shatters the item.  So someone cannot have multiple items and use them back to back.  Gems must be fully vesseled to be usable in this process.  Use of the spell could also consume Karma.

Diamond - CR Bonuses

Emerald - Healing

Opal - Damage Reduction

Ruby - Fire Spell

Sapphire - Water Spell/Frost Spell

Doing something like this will benefit those mining 90+QL gems mostly unless different spells required a certain QL gem such as the examples below.

Emerald - Heal Minor Wound - 0.01 - 29.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Major Wound - 30.00 - 49.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Multiple Minor Wounds - 50.00 - 69.99 QL

Emerald - Heal Severe Wound - 70.00 - 89.99 QL

Emerald - Mass Heal - 90.00 - 94.99QL

Emerald - Full Heal Single Target - 95.00 - 100QL

We can make use of things already implemented in the game just make them usable for most players.  Remember these are 1 time uses during a 24 hour period.  To even use character must have certain stats to ensure this cannot be abused.  Also if cast on a target the target cannot get any benefit from any of these types of spells for 24 hours.  This is intended to be a one use item.

I was busy typing my wall when you posted but I dont think they should have any affect on anything PVP. Even with a cooldown this would just be one more must have item in pvp. Fun or minor useful things.

Honestly no matter what option people come up with they will be used in PvP.  Anything added to the game that can give people and edge on anything will always be used no matter what.  This creates its own market due to it.  No current kingdom on Chaos would have any problem equipping fighters with these one use items.  Yes I agree we might tailor them more specifically, but they all have their limits.  I will develop what I think is useful on this a bit more and post a sheet for all gem QLs and effects.  Granted there are way more fixes that really need to happen with PvP right now.  SotG to name the major issue.

Edited by PromisedOne

I've long toyed with the idea in my head of having gems act like a form of single-use storage medium for spells, a "channel-now-cast-later" kind of feature where the gem QL could impact the maximum cast power. Depending on how these pre-channeled cast containers work and who can use them we could have a number of interesting applications. If you allowed mundane characters to use the gems, a priest could possibly sell their useful spells for people to use without needing to be present at the final target of the cast. So for example you could have a crafter buying an 85 CoC pre-casted gem for casting coc on whatever tool they see fit without requiring transporting the item to the priest, or a fighter by a pre-channeled Oakshell gem for use in sticky situations.

Granted there's likely more than a few balance issues to work out in such a system which would likely have to include things like power decay and various forms of usage restrictions.

EDIT:

If maintaining PvP status-quo is always prioritized whenever new features are considered then this game will not change the slightest in a hundred years.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

If you think about it, Gems are one of the best untapped resources for creating new content in Wurm. Like many people, I have a stash from all my mining and some came from deals I have made, so I certainly stand to profit if the value increases, but I've also lost over half my value in the last year of decreases.

I've long toyed with the idea in my head of having gems act like a form of single-use storage medium for spells, a "channel-now-cast-later" kind of feature where the gem QL could impact the maximum cast power. Depending on how these pre-channeled cast containers work and who can use them we could have a number of interesting applications. If you allowed mundane characters to use the gems, a priest could possibly sell their useful spells for people to use without needing to be present at the final target of the cast. So for example you could have a crafter buying an 85 CoC pre-casted gem for casting coc on whatever tool they see fit without requiring transporting the item to the priest, or a fighter by a pre-channeled Oakshell gem for use in sticky situations.

Granted there's likely more than a few balance issues to work out in such a system which would likely have to include things like power decay and various forms of usage restrictions.

EDIT:

If maintaining PvP status-quo is always prioritized whenever new features are considered then this game will not change the slightest in a hundred years.

And this would boost the value and flexibility of priests big time.

no idea about freedom but on epic you don't get channeling skill for vessel

High QL gems not popular?   what?  really?

They are my #1 want item by a country mile absolutely no two ways about it. Bestest of the bestest of the best for channelling gain.

My mining alt is around 85 mining skill just in his hunt for gems, says it all really.

As it stands gems are only useful to priests and, because priests are often crippled on wurm, not many people play them as mains.  Indeed, because of how restricted we are gems are really the only things that matter to many priests.

The issue is that there is a much higher supply and an ever falling demand (most big deeds just buy priest alts and tend not to trade in gems).

Bringing gem usage into the general population of wurm is one way to stem this issue, however it is likely to impact negatively on priests as a result when prices start to rise again.  As one of the few remaining people who main a priest (and only a priest) I would be against this for selfish reasons.

With this in mind I would lean more towards expanding priestly magic's use of gems.  However single use items, especially in a PvE setting is not really likely to generate much interest alone.

An interesting idea might be the ability to grind gems into dust to expand the alchemy system (QL of dust = QL of gem), mixing with liquid source yields a usable potion depending on gem type.

Maybe even the idea of using liquid source on a vesseled gem to convert it into some kind of karma farm (put 0.1 source in, wait a week, get 0.1*Gem QL/10 source back out with the gem destroyed).

Adding items into the game that require gems is a nice touch, however adding extra spells for each priest type geared towards these items is definitely something I would like to see.

PvP balance is going to be an issue but, lets be honest changes made for the benefit of PvP have already harmed PvE many times.  Lets have the larger player base matter for a change!