Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Remove Lye From The Concrete Creation Process

No it wouldnt, if its too bad, collapse the tile.

Mines aren't like land above ground, I know some must have their mine floors flat, but it's not an absolute requirement, and when it is, the work can be done.

the work may outweigh the reward in most cases, but for some the reward is worth it

What I have never been able to understand is why there is this weird burning need for some people to keep every single action in the game and time consuming as possible.

Can someone explain to me why the desire for flat floors in a mine is so overpowered that it needs to require a massive time sink to obtain it?

This thread is full of people saying "-1 it'll make it too easy" can one of those people give an actual reason why it shouldn't be?

Personally, I'd like concrete to remain as is, and used as a future ingredient for crafting (higher end masonry items). I'd like to see a change to mine floors, requiring mortar and rockshard to fix.

When the idea originally came up I just wanted to be able to use rock shards and apply them to a tile corner with a timer. If someone accidentally mined down it would still take nearly 15 minutes with 20 second timers to repair the mistake.

I do think the easiest solution would be to split concrete into surface use concrete and mine floor use concrete and make the latter less time consuming to create. That would get take care of the only actual complaint I've seen so far that it would make creating more surface rock easy enough that it might be abused. 

• Like 2

lagtastic eyesores

Coal piles are the same thing. The difference is the lag doesn't stop in ten minutes; come back in a couple days.

tedium =/= difficulty    Concrete still sucks.

Coal piles are the same thing. The difference is the lag doesn't stop in ten minutes; come back in a couple days.

tedium =/= difficulty    Concrete still sucks.

The difference is that ash is an incidental byproduct of coalmaking. If you're a coalmaker, you will have an effectively infinite supply of decent/high QL ash already sitting in a BSB somewhere, which means acquiring lye is trivial, and therefore removing it as a requirement for concrete wouldn't make it any easier.

If you're not a coalmaker, then this suggestion would help you, as making a large amount of lye requires an almost unreasonable amount of effort. Making a less idiotic way of creating ash seemed to me to be the most prudent way of alleviating this problem. Ash already has very few crafting uses, and it would be best, I think, if we didn't make it any less useful, and this solution would also improve quality of life of for all current and future lye-related crafting applications, such as leatherworking.

cast WoA on mortar

So not only do people think concrete should remain as it is but protests about its lack of usefulness due to being lost in tedium are countered with even more arguments that only goes to show that it IS in fact a novelty item? Is fixing mines without spending hours on a 5 minute mistake a luxury only granted to those who own a Vynora priest with great channeling?

If I told you that in order to fill in the holes you'd dug you'd need to use iron lumps on coal to create steel and turn them into net constructions and attach them to shafts to create a foundation for the dirt because realistically you always lose a little dirt every time you dig and in reality when you dig up a hole the dirt always becomes more porous afterwards I'm sure a lot more in this thread would have a problem with that. So why should mining work differently? Why is only tedium accepted in the less popular of the two terraforming skills? And more importantly: Why do people think that tedium actually adds anything of use to the game?

This isn't a dig at you personally but rather an example to show off the absurdum of the demand for concrete to be a buttpain just because most people have never actually tried fixing mines with it.

• Like 6

Anybody that knows me knows I'm usually pushing for things to be harder. This is an exception. although I would probably never bother with it myself, adding lye to the recipe just adds an asinine level of tedium to a niche item with no real play balance implications. 

Frankly I think it's just a bunch of drive-by -1s aimed more at the posters than the post.

• Like 4

Is fixing mines without spending hours on a 5 minute mistake a luxury only granted to those who own a Vynora priest with great channeling?

american-psycho-bateman.jpeg

If you think I made a typo you better re-read my post and pay attention. If that's not what you're griping at I'd like to know what you're trying to say.

Frankly, I think that the addition of lye to the process to create concrete was just an idea that sounded good as something that fit into the process. While it may sound ok as an ingredient, I think that whoever decided to add it did not consider the time factor involved in creating it; thus, turning concrete into an imbalance of time worth the results. Then perhaps stubbornness sets in discouraging removal of this ingredient.

Even then, out in that other world lye is not used in creating concrete anyway, nor is mortar. So reality holds no sway over the justification of its use within the creation process. Now setting reality aside, as it has already been done, the creation of concrete within the game can consist of any ingredients desired.

Now to simplify the process of repairing mine floors I would suggest a new way be made available. One rock shard or many would be held within ones inventory, the mine floor right clicked with pick activated, level option chosen and 1 rock shard used to raise 1 corner per timer. This would equate to the same process used to level the ground with dirt, so think in terms of that as reference. It also makes perfect sense to repair mine floors in this manner, since in this way you are replacing the shards that have been mined out of the floors.

So, I would amend my OP to suggest that the above would be the new process to be used to repair mine floors. This way concrete could remain as is and face be saved, since it would not be changed, with no mistakes admitted in the process. If players then preferred to make concrete to repair mine floors they could choose that option as well, since the product would remain unchanged.

Ta da!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

my only gripe is that ash for lye is too tedious to obtain. last time I made concrete, I spammed a few hundred campfires and waited for them to burn out to collect the ash.

+1 if we can just have lime as a new resource for creating concrete

No need to make things easier just because you're bored with concrete making. Some things are meant to be annoying and a chore and that's why we have the option of paying others to do the dirty work when we can't be bothered. If you want to be completely self sufficient, good for you, but be prepared to work for it. Stop trying to make things easier by changing the game when in game solutions to problems already exist. 

• Like 1

Dunno why I read this whole thread, why can't we just make concrete use 0.5kg for a raise, b00m 6 uses from one concrete (bsb one was 3kg haven't made them in ages don't shoot me if creation weight is different)

• Like 1

Ok Busted (and others) let's not make concrete easier matter of fact since concrete was invented to make the process of fixing a mine easier in the first place let's just get rid of it, and the crafting window that makes crafting easier get rid of that too, the select bar that makes gathering easier has to go as well.

BSB's that store stuff for later use making things easier to build do not make sense in the real world so they should go as well and FSB's do not exist in the real world so they have to go to. Along with any changes that have been made to make the game easier in the last 3 years.

We can go back to gathering all the materials and using them before they decay. That will make the game harder and more realistic.

Happy Now :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Adding in limestone, even as a random drop from mining or as an addon to exisiing tiles (eg salt) would also work assuming the limestone dropped provided enough for several concrete.

Likewise, keeping concrete as *special* for raising the rock surface outside, but making the mining fix easier works. Ayes suggests shards, which I find too simplistic. IIRC wasn't FarmerBob's crusade aimed at mortar + shard?

• Like 1

I too think the mortar and shard idea makes the most sense for fixing mine floors.  But I would like to see concrete made more viable to use because of an idea a few others have had as well which is basements in houses.

Basements = dig 20 dirt down pack and reinforce dirt with concrete (floors and walls just like houses IRL) then build structure on concrete foundation.

• Like 1

Some things are meant to be annoying and a chore

Wurm Online: Some things are meant to be annoying and a chore.

Have a way to break down marble for lime, then just have that and shards.

The idea is that its supposed to be as difficult as surface mining. Perhaps if anything, it should use *less*  lye because the real bother for me is the amount of lye, not the difficulty (what is it, 1.5 kg of lye for one piece of concrete?)

What I would rather is the "mine_forward" to not randomly create ups and downs in mining but actually create flat tunnels.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

Step 1: Get logs

Step 2: Make kindlings

Step 3: Make plenty of campfires without fuel

Step 4: Wait for 3-4 mins and you get a lot of ash 

My group and me made 1k concrete this past week. It wasn't that difficult.

The idea is that its supposed to be as difficult as surface mining. Perhaps if anything, it should use *less*  lye because the real bother for me is the amount of lye, not the difficulty (what is it, 1.5 kg of lye for one piece of concrete?)

What I would rather is the "mine_forward" to not randomly create ups and downs in mining but actually create flat tunnels.

I would love for that to happen, especially since there is already a bumpy texture over the floor so even if it is straight it doesn't look like it unless you go one step further and reinforce.

But why would fixing a mine floor need to be as difficult as surface mining?

concrete is easy with enough skill

cast WoA on mortar

My group and me made 1k concrete this past week. It wasn't that difficult.

To recap, concrete is not bad at all (as long as you have high skill, a priest, or other people to do it for you).

• Like 2