Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Remove Lye From The Concrete Creation Process

I was greatly pleased when Concrete was introduced into the game, as I had a number of newbie ruined floors within public mines that I wanted to repair. That is until I attempted to make some and realized what an extremely time consuming affair it was to create. Since that time I have rarely made any of this very useful product.

The process of creating concrete needs to be simplified to make it productively useful and on par with other created building products. To this end I suggest lye is removed from the process. Then to create concrete I would suggest that 1 mortar, 1 sand and 1 rock shard be all that is needed to be combined to produce concrete.

Even with this combination it is more time consuming to produce than other building products but at least it is not nearly the time involved in creating lye to produce concrete, along with the fails of creation from low QL lye, which is all that the common builder within Wurm can produce.

Concrete, a very useful product placed upon the summit of Dragon Fang Mountain, far beyond the reach of other building components. The logic of this production process eludes me, other than to frustrate most that attempt to create any significant amount of it. I would hope that the Dev's review the decisions they have made concerning this and simplify the creation of it.

=Ayes=

• Like 6

I don't really know why it is required. I know people often mistakenly believe that there is lye in it (it's so alkali it will burn you just like lye) and I've heard of some of the more modern recipes for converting waste material into eco-friendly concrete start off with adding lye to the water to make the other ingredients dissolve/mix. But concrete is traditionally made with lime (Calcium Carbonate), not lye (Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide).

Edit: Perhaps just change the recipe around so lye ql isn't that important

Edited by Othob Rithol

Lye can be, and is used in making concrete, and given lime does not exist in the game, it's close enough.

+1.

Yeah blah blah it's not hard to make lye and yada yada this and that. Who cares? It's still infinitely easier to bork up a mine than it is to fix it. If you make a mistake when digging you can just drop dirt and use your digging skill to fix it. Why should a thousand other skills instead of mining be involved when fixing mining mistakes? We wanted concrete (though not specifically concrete...) to be able to fix eyesores that have bugged us for years because there was previously no reasonable way of fixing them if they were in a place where collapsing wasn't convenient or doable. Guess what - We still don't have a reasonable way of fixing these eyesores.

I'd honestly rather collapse tiles with my Magranon priest and then mine them out again than go through the whole creation chain for concrete. I think that's just wrong. We were given a fix for a common problem that takes so much effort to actually go through with that in the ends it's not worth it.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 9

There used to be no way to fix mines except remining. I don't think there's any need to make it even easier.

• Like 2

Personally I feel the lack of tile borders is a much greater hindrance to fixing mine floors than concrete creation

• Like 2

There used to be no way to fix mines except remining. I don't think there's any need to make it even easier.

This -1 Leave concert as it is Edited by Booskii

There didn't use to be a way to play games online either. They created one, we benefit from it.

• Like 3

It's not that difficult to create concrete, you just need better skills. -1

+1

I agree with Aeris this was intended to provide a fix for those who are not elitist with 3-4 premium accounts including a Mag priest. 

Even with removing the lye it still requires more steps to fix a mine than to build a fence that does not make sense.

• Like 1

I dont mind the current way. But it would be nice to see a lime variation.

Maybe 2 different types, one for slate slabs which is softer and could use the lime, and the other one uses more sharper hardcore which would be used for raising floors as its rougher.

Completely agree with Aeris on this.

It's way more work than it should be. Even surface mining is less time consuming.

+1.

Yeah blah blah it's not hard to make lye and yada yada this and that. Who cares? It's still infinitely easier to bork up a mine than it is to fix it. If you make a mistake when digging you can just drop dirt and use your digging skill to fix it. Why should a thousand other skills instead of mining be involved when fixing mining mistakes? We wanted concrete (though not specifically concrete...) to be able to fix eyesores that have bugged us for years because there was previously no reasonable way of fixing them if they were in a place where collapsing wasn't convenient or doable. Guess what - We still don't have a reasonable way of fixing these eyesores.

I'd honestly rather collapse tiles with my Magranon priest and then mine them out again than go through the whole creation chain for concrete. I think that's just wrong. We were given a fix for a common problem that takes so much effort to actually go through with that in the ends it's not worth it.

This is pretty much the point I was making without going into details, about its creation difficulty nerfing its usefulness.

Better yet than my initial suggestion of requiring 3 items to create it, I would reduce them to just two, 1 rock shard and 1 mortar. That way it would fit in with the crafting window of just combining two items, even though there would be the additional requirement of creating mortar first. "Realism" should not intrude too much into this process to enhance concrete's usefulness through creation simplification.

I suggest others refer to the wiki for details on lye creation or create some themselves if not leatherworkers. Then they will have a clearer insight into the lengthy process required to do so in comparison to mortar. Main point here, stop the lye in this. Honestly.

=Ayes=

*Chop tree- cut into logs- cut log into shaft- cut shaft into peg.... *Leave home find animal to hunt- kill-butcher- open and pick up animal parts- cream healing cover. * Open a mine- locate iron- mine iron- melt iron- make anvil- make a nail..... So let's gripe that concrete takes to many steps...it really does not. You know all those wood scraps you have laying around in all those bsb make come kindling and light some fires. Want to be a little more efficient make coal piles, while they burn go dig you some clay and sand. Concrete is just about the only challenging thing i have in ns and at my skill it's not even an issue anymore. Yep I'm a LW and i make coal piles for a few reasons....one i find it relaxing i can get me a few crates of mats and produce 100-200 piles in one sitting. Coal don't even bother picking it up its the byproduct in my eyes.. Everything in wurm takes multiply steps..." boats take to many components" . If you don't want to grind the skill .tp get a decent production rate then buy it. I have a 90% chance..i never whined them it was only10% i dealt with it.

While I would love to see concrete easier to make, removing lye from the proves removes one of the very few uses of Lye. If it were to be made really easily then it should be something only possible on PvE servers. The use of it on pvp servers would create the new 'standard' in deed defences, even if it's capped at 90 steep.

Truth be told: Floor supports are useless piece of and doesn't solve the problem at hand

Just a reflection;

You can reinforce the floor with support beam to prevent the most new of newbies to ruin it.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Support_beam

Yes Zcul, this was an excellent addition to the game some time *after* concrete was added. I do use these in public mines now that I have created and they prevent newbies from mining down floors. Not really much help nor a substitute for the use of concrete for repairing existing ruined mine floors however.

Heck, I have even been discouraged from using concrete to fine tune my own up and down mine floors that are the result of regular mining actions. Stop the lye please. Let's be truthful about this process.

=Ayes=

Stop the lye please. Let's be truthful about this process.

I see what you did there. :D

-1 to this idea, though.

Edit: constructive suggestion: Just make the success chance of creating the concrete based on the quality of the mortar instead of the lye.

Edited by Garis

This is fine as is.  A player with only 40 NS skill has no problem making this.  Spamming campfires for ash is also very easy.  Ash can be purchased cheap in large quantity off the current market from any coal maker.  This is fine as is.

• Like 1