Sign in to follow this  
Idlamn

Remote Keyboard - legal or not (need a staff member to answer, please)

I was thinking of using something like this: http://www.airkeyboardapp.com/download?os=Windows

Basically I want, for example when making mortar, to have the crafting window opened, the cursor on create, and I would be in a different room, watching TV, reading, studying or whatever and pressing click from time to time on my phone/tablet ( and thus initiating a create command in game).

It doesn't sound like macroing to me, but I need to know if it's against the rules or not, before I start doing it.

Waiting for a reply. From a staff member preferably :).

Technically this works the same as the computer keyboard as they both act as a device that communicates with your OS first and then with the process running on it. In reality though, what changes is that you have no screen to see feedback so if a GM is performing a "human or machine" test, you may fail it because you don't have a visible monitor.

Using such keyboard, to the game server and to the GM inspecting, you look like a macro that has a random key press distribution.

Edited by Sizzle

Well, it's a program repeating input from a phone that could very well be also input made by a macro program. You aren't clicking on it directly, another program does it for you.

I'd say it's not allowed.

For reference, this is essentially a wireless keyboard (and the same result can be created with one). I think there will be no issue with it, unless a GM pm checks you.

Hmmm. I see this problem with GMs PM chekcing you. Like how long do they wait until you answer? Cause even now I sometimes jsut alt tab in the game quick to launch 4 new mining actions, and then alt tab again to what I was viewing before.

Maybe using TeamViewer on my phone would help? So I can see the messages also. This also brings up the question if controlling the game through team viewer is legal :D

This is just a clever wireless keyboard.  I've consulted in remote computing technologies for many years and this is nothing more than a simple extension of your keyboard/mouse.

If there was a rule that said we could not click/grind endlessly for hours on end, while watching TV or reading a book (not paying attention to the screen), then 95% of the people that play wurm would be violators.

With this handy keyboard, I can now take a dump and not waste 5 min of SB.

I think it will be even better, if I can sling my laptop display to Google glass over 4g.  Then I can drive to work, while imping weapons...

• Like 2

Then I can drive to work, while imping weapons...

i can imagine at the instant you hit something you will prob think a rare roll happened

• Like 2

As stated, not against any rules but you could still be banned for it.. it's just one of those things.

Because of this, I recommend using a sort of remote-desktop client that not only allows full remote-keyboarding and mouse capabilities but also streams a visual of your desktop to your device. I know of a few apps that work well for apple devices, but haven't tested with androids.

I would use this at your own risk.  If you receive a popup or a visit from a GM while you are performing actions and continue to repeat said actions you would possibly receive an infraction.  Claiming that you were using the keyboard from a distance from the monitor will probably not stand up in your defence as they have no way knowing for sure.

That's my 2c anyway.

Edited by bwg

It sounds like the same thing as a wireless (wifi or bluetooth) keyboard pretty much which you could also take with you into another room and hit a key.  The problem is you may get flagged if continually doing the same keypress over and over for an extended period.  Without you there to answer any pm's or questions from staff who may investigate, this will very likely be deemed a macro with you continuing your keypresses while a gm is standing in front of you waving his or her hands to get your attention etc.  If you need to do something like this you should take your monitor into the other room with you or use a laptop if you have one possibly.

• Like 6

Can I drop a signpost saying something like "semi-afk will answer later"? I mean would the gm look at it and know I won't be paying attention to the game?

Edited by Idlamn

Can I drop a signpost saying something like "semi-afk will answer later"? I mean would the gm look at it and know I won't be paying attention to the game?

I'm not sure that would work.... I mean when I turn my macro on, that's all I'd have to do to avoid a ban, right?

• Like 1

^ not sure if confession.. :P

But yeah as others say, technically nothing wrong with it, but it could potentially look fishy :)

• Like 1

Ok. What about it's 2:00 AM at the night, I bind pray at key press F. Then suddenly I fall asleep and my nose falls on the F key on the keyboard and stays there for the whole night. Am I to be blamed for that ?

depends on who does the banning - if it's your wife - grin

Ok. What about it's 2:00 AM at the night, I bind pray at key press F. Then suddenly I fall asleep and my nose falls on the F key on the keyboard and stays there for the whole night. Am I to be blamed for that ?

It's weighing a key, so, yes. It's just as bad as macroing.

Well, thanks a lot for the replies, guys! :D

It sounds like too big of a risk. I might be able to pull it off with a teamview or something minimized on my phone, which id pop out every now and then.

A player was banned for having their pray keybind jammed down overnight (or so they say; respectable enough guy and I'd take his word), because he was praying constantly for hours and didn't reply to GM messages.

Best to be sure you're watching the screen, or at least check on it every 10 minutes or so I'd say.

A player was banned for having their pray keybind jammed down overnight (or so they say; respectable enough guy and I'd take his word), because he was praying constantly for hours and didn't reply to GM messages.

I'm not going into detail regarding any specific cases - but this is an example of a bannable offence as it includes holding down a key - regardless, fault always lies with the end user.  See the underlined below from the game rules in this post.  If these rules are followed and you're always available to answer any GM messages that may appear, you have nothing to worry about.

Macro

Definition: A macro is any software/hardware that automates the sending of actions to the game server without user interaction and is not permitted.

A ) Key locking (IE weighing down a key on your keyboard) is not permitted.

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

Punishment: First offense - Permanent avatar ban.  Second offense - Loss of all avatars/accounts and permanent ip ban.

- Penalties for macro abuse may be applied at any time pending GM review, even if you have discontinued abusing a macro at time of penalty.

bwg/Marni

(Board Moderator)

Edited by bwg

Check out Splashtop.  It's a great RDP program with almost no lag  that works on smartphone or tablet.  It's free for local LAN. 

It's perfect for standing in one spot and skilling, but not that good for moving around and killing.

www.splashtop.com

I can run a Chrome remote desktop APP (it is on the Google play store) on my phone to connect to my desktop at home. I can do pretty much what the OP is describing. In addition, I can see the game and respond.

You might need to use the the on-screen keyboard accessibility tool on the desktop to send keys to the non-chat areas. typing text on the phone works fine if you cursor focus on the chat window. it doesn't work well to send things like movement keys or keys that you got bound to actions.

I'v only been able to do things where I don't have to move around, its very laggy and probably has the equivalent of 5 fps. But this is fine to create stuff with craft window or improve items.

you can turn off non-essential game graphics with "setoption no_world_render false" and enable again with "setoption no_world_render true"

As others have said I'd say it's fine as long as you answer any GMs that check on you. It's a great risk because if you did get banned for macroing they'd never buy your story, even if it is true. Otherwise every macroer would say they were using this what you're using and didn't see the PM from the other room.

So as long as you can avoid being mistaken for a macroer, you're good. If you get caught and penalized, there's no hope of getting out of it.

I think that'd just be some hilariously bad luck, like the kid whose homework actually did get eaten by the dog.  :D

It's weighing a key, so, yes. It's just as bad as macroing.

LOL I better not touch this one...