Sign in to follow this  
Malena

What are the coolest community projects/events Wurm has ever seen?

Hey folks, 

I have a friend who organizes events in WoW and I'm trying to explain to her the possibilities Wurm offers in that respect. But being relatively new still to Wurm, I'm not so knowledged on what all has been done.

There are of course the impalong events and the road building projects which I will definitely share with her, but what else has been done? Are there any that really stand out? I think a good example would be the maze that I've heard the Factional Fight brothers describe in their videos. Not that I ever saw it or experienced it, but even hearing about it made me realize that you can pretty much do anything you set your mind to in this game. 

• Like 2

Mag Scar and Impalongs would have to be my top 2.

Mag Scar for sheer dedication and impalongs for the community spirit.

• Like 1

Kinos Canal.. The complete destruction and leveling of Sparta, Impalongs.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Were there any projects which provided the community with a more long term form of entertainment, such as the maze that the Factional Fight brothers did? And does anyone have any pictures of the maze btw?

Edited by Malena

The major fortified deeds on the pvp servers most likely count, especially the ones built on mountains; however, good luck getting screenshots and internal layouts. :P

The larger fights also count as events sort of; though, of late the descriptions of these have not been included in the battles' section in wurmpedia.

Edited by Klaa

Raids on PvP servers can be awesome fun whether you're attacking or defending. Sparta on Chaos was huge, we raided for about 32 hours non-stop with a total of 50-70 people. On PvE, impalongs are awesome too, and I always enjoyed the Akhenaten fighting tournaments.

It's full sandbox... you can do whatever you want :D

I think the more involving "projects" have been the simple ones like when people have hosted treasure hunts open for everyone and posted hints on the forums/ingame about the location of the treasures. They involved community, exploring and reward

• Like 1

I think the more involving "projects" have been the simple ones like when people have hosted treasure hunts open for everyone and posted hints on the forums/ingame about the location of the treasures. They involved community, exploring and reward

Like Darkmalice's Scavenger hunts where he would hide red chests with drake armor, silver coins, and more. "I don't plan on making this too easy. You may need to dig, mine, climb, swim, bash, lockpick, fight off a horde of wolves, to find the locations. "

edit: The annual Akhenaten fighting tournaments were a big event too.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

The vast majority of community projects within Wurm are of a small localized nature, where some few neighborly types get together to accomplish something that benefits their common use areas. Then there are things done to benefit the local area by individuals alone, which I would still consider to be community projects as well.

Due to the extremely slow travel time restrictions imposed within Wurm frequent social gatherings do not that often happen. Unfortunately as long as these are kept in place Wurm will not see any frequent hangouts within the starter Villages, as do always happen within WoW and UO. Major community gatherings involve a lot of advance planning and notice to be accomplished and even then many will not attend do to these travel impositions. One of Wurm's major flaws, as I see it. 

=Ayes=

I would like to point out the Great Southern Highway project. Existing long highway from Freedom Market to the south coast was long time existing, having one part go trough a mountain south of Freedom Market. Suntan re-ignited the roadwork and publicly announced the work which ignited interest in many wurmians who came to assist. Within few weeks the project was launched and executed to its beautiful state it is now, even with a colossus looking down the great ramp.

HhQ4yG8.png

Even Devs posted update in blog about this project, with aerial picture of the whole new road... but I failed to google it up.

• Like 1

Oh, I found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120225210923/http://www.wurmonline.com/blog/

Edit;

Interestingly... highway networks are Tich's project, our master of highways. But finishing this mountain bit, to bypass the tunnel, it was not Tich's project in itself, but Tich came there personally and was perhaps the most active participant. Also, there was way more than five people working on it. At best we had a dozen people in local. Dunno if all of this is relevant, but... :) As this thread is about community events, I wanted to point out that this one wasnt "just five ppl".

Edited by Raybarg

I crossed over the Great Southern Highway on Indy two days ago, going south from FM.  I was absolutely astonished by how beautiful it was.  That's what I was going to post as well.  In particular, there's this one "slice" of stone that juts up like a curved knife on the eastern side of the road on the way back down as you're traveling south.  I thought that once curved slice of mountain was just beautiful, and the decision to leave it there was inspired.

Oh wow, the chess set is awesome!

I think that the Northmere Canal on Celebration was a community project too. It's a very important canal that changed how sailing works on this server. Many of us use it a lot.

We made a chess set.   :D

Haha I thought ours is the only chess set in Wurm :)

Z9SeGH5.jpg

• Like 1

When MR got together and destroyed The League of Gentlemen on chaos, where old Hammerfell (I believe) used to reside.  The sadness in Norad, Mcwolfersmc, whatever alt he used then, was priceless and secretly enjoyed by many.

• Like 4

Personally I love it when we build deeds in MR, Managing to pop up a perfect OCD complete wardeed in a weekend is outstanding, I love leading the build and the everlasting conscience that a drive-by of JK could come at any moment!

Outside of chaos, impalongs are great... if you don't crash a lot >.<