Sign in to follow this  
RockyBalboa

Merchants 10% cuts to upkeep of deed.

as title says.... instead of giving rolf 10% of sales from merchants, witch are normaly planted on deeds,  give that coins to upkeep of deeds that hosting markets... will  turn out in favor of already broken economy in wurm.

will  turn out in favor of already broken economy in wurm.

could heal deeds upkeep a bit for sure...   anyway there is no need we get full 10%     but 5% for deed upkeeps and 5% to rolf sound fair :D   and im sure more players will be willing to host local markets.,,

i have in my mind broken economy ingame with merchants,  most trades happends on forums or chats anyway this days...

Edited by RockyBalboa
  • Like 1

In what way is the economy broken that this will fix?

It would be one less source of coin leakage out of the system.

could heal deeds upkeep a bit for sure...   anyway there is no need we get full 10%     but 5% for deed upkeeps and 5% to rolf sound fair :D   and im sure more players will be willing to host local markets.,,

i have in my mind broken economy ingame with merchants,  most trades happends on forums or chats anyway this days...

There are more than enough players willing to host local markets.  I have traveled a lot in xanadu, the number on marketplaces with no merchants is astonishing.  Most trade does not happen on merchants because of the item mail system.

Its a moneysink functioning as intended, not sure why it needs to be changed.

Pretty sure people don't use merchants out of convenience, not because of the 10% cut.

A percentage of the coin can still go to the king while the remaining goes to the hosting deed. Thus encouraging more cooperation with markets and at the same time acting as a moneysink.

-1 As someone that spams deeds in pvp servers to control land I can assure you that upkeep is way too cheap. If something, it should be increased both in pve and pvp.

-1 going to Kingdom means it goes to the forage, kills and token sale coins and not in your pocket Rocky.

• Like 1

+1

Would be nice the 5%/ 5% option 10% would be too much.

The problem with marketplaces is that Wurm is not encouraging of foot traffic. 

If you want to go to the market you have to prepare.  Wear your good armor, possibly pack a lunch, and you run the risk of your animals getting killed on the way.  On Indy I would go to freedom market and shop the deals but on Deli it is too much trouble and there is no real market to speak of.  Puzzle Plaza has been dying out for a while now. :unsure:

So this suggestion might help to establish markets as a place to do business again by encouraging more local markets to pop up making it less trouble to visit than one on the other side of the server. :)

as title says.... instead of giving rolf 10% of sales from merchants, witch are normaly planted on deeds,  give that coins to upkeep of deeds that hosting markets... will  turn out in favor of already broken economy in wurm.

The day that happens is the day I remove any merchants from deeds that aren't mine to relocate them so I reap the benefits. Many others would probably do the same and you'd be left with a half empty merchant center.

-1. I don't think you want that happening, really. 

• Like 2

A percentage of the coin can still go to the king while the remaining goes to the hosting deed. Thus encouraging more cooperation with markets and at the same time acting as a moneysink.

It's not a money sink if money is going to the upkeep since the person can then disband the deed and get that money back.

If you want to host a market, pay for it yourself or make a conditional agreement with your merchants in your market to help out with upkeep when they can. They're making money at your place and some might be making good money, no reason they shouldn't be willing to toss a silver in every now and then.

+1

I have to say this is a nice idea.

Even splitting up the % into 5% for deed upkeep and 5% to the economy are good if you ask me.

Player made market deeds enhance the economy after all, which is also good for Rolf. ;)

The day that happens is the day I remove any merchants from deeds that aren't mine to relocate them so I reap the benefits. Many others would probably do the same and you'd be left with a half empty merchant center.

-1. I don't think you want that happening, really. 

This.  Marketplaces will be ghost towns in no time.

hmm.....the way wurm works these market towns tend to get most of the sales.

Perhaps it could be the one who placed the merchant who gets the kickback to their deed if they have one?

Otherwise I can see huge extra profits going to the market owners......So as is no way.  1%?? maybe.

If Market Owners want a cut of the sales of Merchants who use their markets they should have to collect their own fees not have it done automatically through game mechanics.

Of course we could start making it so Merchants can only be placed 65 tiles apart?

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

We have 3 merchants on xanadu and even though we can see sales have dropped a little, its going to happen now that everyone is a little more setup now. We complain that our market place aren't making us much as we like but it's our own doing. We use the forums for big under priced sales, we sell our rares there. If this wasn't there we would have to rely more on market places. This is not how it is though.

Also, having such a large server as xan, we have marketplaces all across the map, opposed to say FM that use to be a hub you'd travel to. So yes merchant selling has changed a bit.

We keep our merchants stocked and hop people has a look every now and then. Having some support for the people that make these markets is a good idea, usually they are big deeds and the upkeep could be helped by a small percentage of sales. That percentage I couldn't say. Even 1% is something.

• Like 1

-1 As someone that spams deeds in pvp servers to control land I can assure you that upkeep is way too cheap. If something, it should be increased both in pve and pvp.

In your opinion because you have extra money to piss away. How about we leave upkeep alone and you just sac a extra silver or two when you are spamming these deeds.

How about when placing the merchant he is automatically a citizen of the same deed the player that placed it belongs to. This way the deed he is located on gets 2.5%, the deed he is a citizen of gets 2.5% and rolf takes 5%.  If the merchant is not on a deed then Rolf gets 7.5% and the merchants deed gets 2.5%.

It's not a money sink if money is going to the upkeep since the person can then disband the deed and get that money back.

If you want to host a market, pay for it yourself or make a conditional agreement with your merchants in your market to help out with upkeep when they can. They're making money at your place and some might be making good money, no reason they shouldn't be willing to toss a silver in every now and then.

Money sinks are a needed feature in the game. Merchants function just fine. If markets were low enough priced to warrant people taking the time out of their day to travel to them in game markets would see more business. Bottom line is why waste my valuable time when I can just have items mailed to me.

To those that say:  'People would just move merchants to their own deed.'

Only if you have a good location like a canal or at least on the water.  If your deed is on top of a mountain or too far inland you will not sell much, that is why many markets fail now.  People try to put them anywhere and think that others will come find them. 

Just like in the real world the key to success is Location, Location, LOCATION.

Edited by Bachus

I see merchants that have extremely low prices all the time, some people put thing on their merchant way under prices. So you never know what you will find if you look. If you live close to a market it really is worth is to go have a look. Travelling a long distance? not that fun.

As soon as something like this gets implemented, you will see an end to coop markets.  Nobody is going to want to place their merchants in someone's deed.  Besides, if the merchants start doing really well and the deed collects a lot of funds, then the deed owner may have an urge to disband and take the loot.

On the other hand, if you could choose a a deed to send funds to, that would be ideal.

I (like half the people in Xanadu) intend to fire up a market some day and am struggling with the financial impact:  Pay 10s per merchant, plus deed upkeep, plus 10% to Rolf and wonder why I would do that when mailing is far cheaper and infinitely easier... only answer I can think of is "markets look cool".  Seriously, it is a place to show off skills more than anything at this point.  My market deed remains grass and trees, because I keep finding other "more pressing" projects to work on.