CmdrZin

Petition to generated settlement markers on the Map

Where as the King is paid tribute to grant a settlement and taxes to retain it

and

that the King's assessor has the location of all deeds and settlements

and

that the King's cartiographer is already publishing a map for citizens to use

and

that said map allows those citizens to annotate that map.

It is resolved that the locations of all settlements (on PvE) should be annotated on the available map by the King's assessor.

This effort would also promote trade by showing population densities and potential markets for new ventures.

-CmdrZin, Zin's Silver Mountain Mining Company, Xanadu

(a little more work would be required to also show major roads.)

-1, pve or pvp, I'd rather be able to choose if where I live is publicly known and that answer is no

• Like 7

+1 only people with dark secrets to hide would say -1.

-NSA

Yeah, dislike this idea. I like the way if you're gonna use the in game map you've got to add the annotations yourself and learn your own navigation. There are some really good maps which have been created for public use which are fine enough.

Besides, the in game map is rather small, and vague of location anyway, adding everyone's deed to it would just make it look cluttered, especially on large servers like Xan.

This is why people created the community maps before.

They worked fairly well and were an opt-in basis.

Maybe you could make/run one for whichever server you are currently on. (Not sure who runs what anymore or if they are even maintained now)

• Like 1

-1 and you dont need to make new forum account just for that waste of time

Edited by silakka
Moderation edit
  • Like 1

This is why people created the community maps before.

They worked fairly well and were an opt-in basis.

Maybe you could make/run one for whichever server you are currently on. (Not sure who runs what anymore or if they are even maintained now)

Exactly this. Also, all the community maps are still run and maintained.

To the suggestion: -1

• Like 1

-1, maybe at most a "heat map" showing how big % of each map grid section tiles are taken by deeds, not counting water tiles for more accurate result.

• Like 3

Based on the interaction I've encountered playing for about 3 weeks now, these responses make sense.

In the 250+ hrs of game time and travelling to most towns, I've actually seen maybe 5 people.

No real need to know where anyone is at those numbers.

Back to playing.

Has anyone considered having it optional?   Meaning at the token with mayor permission, etc you can checkmark if you want your map position broadcast?  That would let people who want to remain anonymous to do so. They could even broadcast, but have it set so that only fiends or alliance can see the marker.  

Additionally, you could make the same kind of check mark in the options menu to choose if you want to clutter your map with deeds, or you want to just show all allied or same kingdom, etc.  Or only deeds that have people on your friends list.  I mean hell everyone is getting so wound up, just consider some useful alternatives that accomplish this.

Making navigation more fluid and easy on freedom would be awesome.  Though I do agree, the map resolution sux, at least you should have a more accurate reading on how to find something or link up with your buddies if you got lost on a hunting trip. 

The map has so much potential for freedom players, heck being able to click on a dot, and have a village description that is published in the deed settings perhaps advertising goods, etc. Or being able to do searchers if players want to list deeds with specific vendors, suppliers, etc.   I would love if Rolf added more functionality to it.  

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 4

+1   and Battlepaw is spot on with the correct response.

The lack of tools to precisely correlate in game locations with map locations is one of the problems we have with Trade.

Magic already does some locating. Courier mailbox spirits have to know where to go, vynora locate corpse, vynora reveal creatures. 

While the suggestion makes sense in that someone(s) who works for the King knows where every last tax-paying land holding is, it doesn't fit with the pre-industrial nature of Wurm.  It would be like expecting King George III to have a map of every farmstead in the American Colonies.  Likely someone at some level of government knew where almost all of them were, but that information wasn't all available even to the King, let alone every citizen.

I feel the current maps provided are as far as things should go.  The satellite-image map dumps are way over the line, but unavoidable since people cheat and pull them anyway. 

Also, adding settlement locations against the will of the owners is not acceptable to me.  While one can go exploring and assemble their own deed map, that should be the only way to do it.

If there were a small map display that noted your current location within the server like many games provide, then it would be useful to have all deeds displayed within it for reference. As the current maps are not correlated with your location in game by some sort of mechanic, I see little use for random deeds that someone has no interest in to be displayed. So for the game to need to be programmed on the OP's basis would be wasted Dev time and probably quite a bit of it.

Then there is the preference of some players for their deed locations not to be published upon maps, to be taken into consideration. Although you can not really hide out in this manner if someone puts a bit of effort into finding your place, I suppose it gives some a bit of security to not have their deeds listed on these player created maps, much less by some game mechanic that would auto place them upon creation. I have never listed any of my deeds on player made maps simply because I figure if anyone is interested and I want them to know they can ask.

=Ayes=

with checkbox Visible on public map on deed document and Mayor's ability to change it anytime, I can say +1

otherwise -1 ... not everybody want be visible on map even on PvE servers, some prefer live their hermit lifes, without crowds camping around their place

Besides, the in game map is rather small, and vague of location anyway, adding everyone's deed to it would just make it look cluttered, especially on large servers like Xan.

This is why it won't work. Maps of all but the smallest servers will become totally unusable as mass of overlapping markers covering the terrain details.

• Like 1

While the suggestion makes sense in that someone(s) who works for the King knows where every last tax-paying land holding is, it doesn't fit with the pre-industrial nature of Wurm.  It would be like expecting King George III to have a map of every farmstead in the American Colonies.  Likely someone at some level of government knew where almost all of them were, but that information wasn't all available even to the King, let alone every citizen.

I feel the current maps provided are as far as things should go.  The satellite-image map dumps are way over the line, but unavoidable since people cheat and pull them anyway. 

Also, adding settlement locations against the will of the owners is not acceptable to me.  While one can go exploring and assemble their own deed map, that should be the only way to do it.

You also have to consider this is an online game, not a magical recreate of history.  Honestly I do like the community maps, and the fact that in many cases there were no map dumps, but it's what we have now and it is about time that Wurm caught up with the expectations of the newer gamers who are often used to playing with some sort of in-game map.  Hell most of the current gamers in any case.   If you look on some of the maps the better one have a lot of functionality built into them depending on the needs of the players who write them, draw them, or run what amounts to a Google earth type map program for them.    

The current in-game maps need to get renovated to systems like that.  Where we stress functionality and utility so that it can be an effective tool for the players, and not just a nifty gimmick as it stands right now.   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

+1. If you wanna be a hideaway hermit, go do it in yo mama's basement  :P lol

Honestly?  I'd prefer to right click a deed token and have an "add to map" option show up, when clicked it simply adds the deed to the player's map.  Means a player has to explore to find a deed but can mark it on their map.

For those of you who like privacy, have it as a settlement option whether it can be plotted in this way (if set to false, no option "add to map" shows up).

• Like 2

On 1/3/2015 at 0:19 PM, Zkovacs said:

I gfail to understand why you would say -1 as a newbie i can see your coords with your post.. why not on a map???