Sign in to follow this  
Kswords

Change Hell Hounds from PvE Servers

I'd like to see something like the kingdom influence but specifically a "civilisation" influence. Various things can generate it, towers, settlement tokens, buildings and for each thing that generates it, the influence has a radius and a strength, individually weak but strengthened by the overlapping. The more overlap, the more civilised an area is.

Once you have this you can incorporate it into the spawn and monster AI logic. Some creatures may only spawn in uncivilised areas and actively choose to avoid civilisation. At this point it becomes more a player decision, venture into the more uncivilised and dangerous wilds or stay safer and closer to the villages.

Yes change em. I want hell hounds to kill me while I' m sleeping

-1, following the logic they should remove lava spiders, bears, wild cats and rats. And falling damage.

The game did just fine without hell hounds and I'm guessing that the morepart of the hell hound lovers haven't been a new player for a very long time. Hell hounds never stop chasing you, have insane aggro range and even at 60fs there is a chance they'll kill you (I've seen it happen). It might be enjoyable for someone who is reasonably skilled already to have them around but for new players they're ass.

Edited by Aeris

PvE=Player vs environment.

And sayiing they are dangerous/bad for new players is a terrible argument, most of the mobs in wurm are and some are worse.

I like to have a challenge and resistance in the game.  they aren't too hard to kill yet they are fast and have large aggro range and do a fair amt of damage.  I like that edge.  personally i'd like to see a bit more danger in the game..real threats.

I remember when i first started.  for the first 4  or so months the hell hounds terrorized me and killed me more than any other mob.  that was the fun and sport of it.  i was then like a child who'd been bitten by a dog as a youngin'..grows up to fear dogs.. well i've always been cautious of them even long after i could kill them easily.

I like that struggle.  I'd not have a great death memory if not for the hell hound.  I died four times once by them in  2 hrs.  who can deny the thrill of the fight as a noob trying to ride your cart as fast as nelly could go..meanwhile being ganged and ripped back along the way but hell hounds chasing and getting in range..and the dance of will i make it will i not... then trying to run back nakid, bait it away to try to make another mad dash.  I'd not want any others to be cheated of this experience.

Not prem so fight skills capped at 20(not running around in cloth armor anymore thank goodness). They are the most easily spotted mob in the game even with my low setting. You can see them from a km away. I stay far away when I can't tell for sure it is a hell horse. I just ran into about three yesterday because they pull up mountains around here. If you can't kill them run them to a guard tower. The hardest part is getting there first I have almost died a few time but maybe only died once or twice and this includes the rare sneak attack on roads. Them, trolls, crocs, scorps and lava creatures are the only thing that are a challenge even if I have to run from them.

• Like 3

Not prem so fight skills capped at 20(not running around in cloth armor anymore thank goodness). They are the most easily spotted mob in the game even with my low setting. You can see them from a km away. I stay far away when I can't tell for sure it is a hell horse. I just ran into about three yesterday because they pull up mountains around here. If you can't kill them run them to a guard tower. The hardest part is getting there first I have almost died a few time but maybe only died once or twice and this includes the rare sneak attack on roads. Them, trolls, crocs, scorps and lava creatures are the only thing that are a challenge even if I have to run from them.

I'm aware the title stated pve servers, but in general I think they're fine although annoying obviously, just the sheer dumb amount of them that spawn needs to be toned down a little.  Sometimes when I go hunting on desertion I'll turn around and see 3 of them chasing me, with a few more ahead to the left/right, it's absurd but I'm fine with them otherwise

• Like 1

There are many challenges in Wurm to overcome. The more challenges the better. If it was easier it wouldn't be any fun.

• Like 1

Hell Hounds are fine and I know you have a lt weapon KS so get out there and get some fs.

I know I have an LT weapon. Killing them isn't the problem. It's the shear amount that spawn and how long they chase you.

Sorry but it's a -1 from me.....

Apart from Trolls, all other hard mobs to keep an eye out for can be out run....doing the "Run to keep them on the grass or sand while you run on the road" works very well in trying to out run mobs.

Yes Hell hounds are a pain and Yes they have a risk of killing you....but thats the point - there HELL HOUNDS...not fluffy bunnies.

At the start of the game when EVERYONE was new to the game, even a Mountain lion was a danger...they are fast and can kill a new player easy -

should we nerf or remove them to ?

Sorry but i think they are great the way they are.

+1 to add fluffy bunnies.

• Like 2

I have no problem dealing with hell hounds and I like having tough mobs around in general, but I find their attributes and frequency incongruous with the Wurm fauna in a somewhat annoying way. The general rule of thumb with creatures in games is that the appearances of the tougher ones are either less frequent or localized (I.E lairs). Also, the visual appearance of an enemy is ususally consistent with its threat level, size being the most important property.

Trolls? Fine, they're menacing foes and their towering figure accurately reflect the punch they pack, but they spawn near lairs. Hellhounds however you can find jumping you anywhere, with nothing much but their small particle effect betraying their location or just how potentially dangerous they are.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 3

I think sticking them in lairs would provide a more stable spawn, and also allow for some fun with traited versions too.

My first death involved being mauled outside a safety hut my friends were hiding in by a hellhound, such wonderful times

• Like 1

You can outrun them (unencumbered), on a road and the new player buff sends most mobs walking away from you unless you have them targeted or are right on top of them.

Given there harder than a lava spider or lava fiend, the "drops charcoal" idea is one I really like.

-1 to puppy remove or nerf

+1 to giving them a charcoal from butchering

Let's not get rid of anything.  If you're not strong enough to venture out into the wild then stay at home where your guards can protect you.

• Like 2

Seriously, fighting them is not the problem here.

Its the mechanics of how they work. There are too many of them and they're too fast and persistent, making them an annoying creature to encounter.

Why remove one of the few 'tough' monsters from PvE?

It isn't 'freebuild with a few monsters around' it's PvE. If there are too many in a location, move or kill them.

There are very few spots where the wildlife is too much to handle solo, assuming you have decent gear.

I'm sure there are many people who would love to come kill them and other tough monsters that are in large quantities. A post + screenshot and people will flock to it for the skillgain. (HH's are pretty decent)

Edited by Outlaw

Regarding hell hounds the only thing I really think needs some adjustment is the speed, they are really too fast, most mobs will chase you a fair amount of tiles, but with hell hounds is just insane, they never give up and you can´t outrun it on carts or normal horses. Once you get some skill and a semi decent gear Hell hounds are easy fs gains, because even if they can it hard some times, they are a soft target and usually you can kill the thing before it does enough damage to be a problem.

Also the reward (just meat) its a bit on the low side for being a semi high tier mob.

Of course if you are a newborn or low fs char riding a ungeared horse or a cart they can be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Let's replace them with bunnies! And replace trolls with with hamsters!

Because a game should never be challenging! 

Edited by takatsuki
  • Like 1

Lol, Wurm Online: The game that will never get any new players because starvation and hell hounds scare them away on the first day

Let's replace them with bunnies! And replace trolls with with hamsters!

Because a game should never be challenging! 

At least tea would be useful then for parties

• Like 1

As someone with a number of alts that wander the servers, I'm pretty familiar with dealing with Hellhounds from the perspective of a new player or a player unable to pay for premium, and thus locked out from riding horses.

Regarding sticking to roads, that works until the road you're following turns uphill, at which point the hound rather quickly catches up.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but it is a creature -extremely- proficient at "Attacks of Opportunity" oftentimes hitting from well outside their normal combat radius.

Once they've inflicted that initial hit, you're slow enough from the hurting status that you're just gonna get picked apart by more Attacks of Opportunity.

Towers work when you can find one but many, many roadways are completely without Tower coverage at all, which becomes a problem when I see in kchats that many new players are told to stake it out in an empty area on their own when they have difficulty finding a village to join.

As for moving away from "too much wildlife" the hounds spawn anywhere rather plentifully, it's really not that simple at all. Somewhere safe one day can be deadly the next.

These things really are a detriment to the new player experience, and while I agree making them a lair spawn would be a good idea (anything stronger than a spider really shouldn't be spawning -everywhere-) my personal suggestion in this regard wouldn't be specific to Hellhounds at all;

Make creatures subject to movement speed differences from slopes just like players are. Roads are meant to be the player's means of avoiding creatures, but the slope speed drop takes that away from them in certain cases like Hellhounds.

MAYBE drop their speed -slightly- on top of that, but thier immense aggro radius is thier defining feature and shouldn't be changed, it's what would keep them as a dangerous creature out in the wilderness, as they would likely end up attacking in groups if they became a Lair spawn creature and thus more concentrated in a given area.

• Like 6